tank designed for easy water change

• SRC Member

Hi reefers, I am planning a new tank, and was wondering about a design that would make WC easy. My idea is to have a drainage pipe at centre of bottom glass, and fit a pipe with ball valve. Above, place an egg crate, plastic sieve and topped off with No 3 sand. Over time, dirt will collect below egg crate via gravity. By opening valve, I will be able to change water and remove mulm. Will this work? I need to find method that will not aggravate my bad back. Thanks in advance.

• 3 months later...

Hi reefers, I am planning a new tank, and was wondering about a design that would make WC easy. My idea is to have a drainage pipe at centre of bottom glass, and fit a pipe with ball valve. Above, place an egg crate, plastic sieve and topped off with No 3 sand. Over time, dirt will collect below egg crate via gravity. By opening valve, I will be able to change water and remove mulm. Will this work? I need to find method that will not aggravate my bad back. Thanks in advance.

What is No 3 sand ?

Yes...you are creating a 'Plenum' it will definitely work,but you need 2 layers of sand seperate by a layer of mesh(to prevent critters from borrowing right through)Ideally bottom layer sand 00 and upper layer sand 02 or 03.It will be better if you raised the egg crate my means of tying 1" pvc pipes underneath the crate.

• 1 month later...
  • SRC Member

Sounds exactly like changing Engine Oil of car.

But the the base must be tapered.