Ah Chris's Reef Aquarium

ahchris

Hmm.. Wait a week or 2 more. A couple of days isn't really considered a cycle. Mine cycled for 5-6 weeks before I even added any lifestock.

I think Cos u use live rock, most of the beneficial bacteria are still living in them. But there will surely be die-offs from your live rock and that will soon cause an ammonia spike in your tank. You do not want to be caught in that situation with fishes in your tank. Ammonia can burn through ur fishes' gills.

Wait for a week or so and continue monitoring Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate for at least the next 1 week. If there's no spike in ammonia I think u can start adding fishes 1 at a time which still continuing to monitor the readings once every 3-5 days.

Fish waste would turn into ammonia once it decays. If even after adding fishes, the readings remain at zero, it's a good signal that u have enough beneficial bacteria to sustain the livestock. Again .. The golden rule is 1 inch of fish per week. But usually people stretch the rule a little.

Yup i think it's too fast. Might be just a small cycle. Better play safe and wait another week or so. Thanks Turtle1989 for the kind advise.

Eh .. I think readings above 25 are quite easy to tell. It's the reading from 5-25 that really make me feel like I'm colour blind. So by reading from the side I know if it's between 5-10 or 10-25 (if the colour shows way off the chart). So although it's meant for reasons below 10, I will still use it to help me determine if I have a reading that's below 10 or below 25. I think ultimately anything less then 25 is still pretty safe for NO3. Just got to make sure it doesn't hit 50.
Thanks for the explanation, bro. I'm keeping sps here so no3 becomes a lttle touchy here.

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

Chiller : Dalkin 1hp compressor with build-in drop coil.

Skimmer : Skimz Octa SC205i Protein Skimmer.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

CR : Skimz Monzter E Series CM122 Calcium Reactor.

BPR: Marine Source Biopellet  Reactor with Continuum Reef Biopellet Fuel. 

Main Return Pump : SICCE Syncra ADV 9.0 & Jebao ACQ-10000 Water Pump.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Water Top Up: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite.

:-) Yeah thanks man! Does this means my cycling is completed?
Hi bro, if u hv religiously dose bacteria. And closely monitor ur tank water with water tests like nh3/nh4 and no2 and saw ur tank's ammonia spike & nitrite rise and fall to zero. It means ur nitrogen cycle completed but like most bros here do is wait a little longer to season ur tank water more to build up on the bacteria colonies in ur tank.
  • Like 1

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

Chiller : Dalkin 1hp compressor with build-in drop coil.

Skimmer : Skimz Octa SC205i Protein Skimmer.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

CR : Skimz Monzter E Series CM122 Calcium Reactor.

BPR: Marine Source Biopellet  Reactor with Continuum Reef Biopellet Fuel. 

Main Return Pump : SICCE Syncra ADV 9.0 & Jebao ACQ-10000 Water Pump.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Water Top Up: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite.

Hi bro, if u hv religiously dose bacteria. And closely monitor ur tank water with water tests like nh3/nh4 and no2 and saw ur tank's ammonia spike & nitrite rise and fall to zero. It means ur nitrogen cycle completed but like most bros here do is wait a little longer to season ur tank water more to build up on the bacteria colonies in ur tank.

Yup i decided to take it slow. Wait for another 1-2 weeks.

• SRC Member

Tested my ammonia, nitrate and nitrite today. Everything is safe. Only problem - there is no algae bloom as of now, I always heard that algae bloom is part of a tank cycling. Hope everything is alright.

diatom starts to pop up at the end of the cycling process where you have plenty of nitrate, phospate and silicate. i also have 5ft tank and just had my diatom bloom after a month i set up my tank. cool looking tank, im gonna camp here.

• Like 1

diatom starts to pop up at the end of the cycling process where you have plenty of nitrate, phospate and silicate. i also have 5ft tank and just had my diatom bloom after a month i set up my tank. cool looking tank, im gonna camp here.

I'm still at day 12 of my current setup. Hoping i never have to go through diatom bloom period.

Bro Drahc, what are you keeping in your 5ft tank?

Congrats on the new tank! Your setup seems to be moving smoothly. Do you have a stock list?

Thanks Bro A. Quarium

Nothing in my tank now except live rocks and sands. But i am planing to keep some easy corals, neon goby, royal gramma, wrasse and some shrimps.

• Like 1

• SRC Member
I'm still at day 12 of my current setup. Hoping i never have to go through diatom bloom period. Bro Drahc, what are you keeping in your 5ft tank?
I think if you diligently do water change weekly, should be able to avoid the nitrate buildup and diatom algae .
  • Like 1

Shadow Walkers's 4 ft Shallow Reef Chronicles

4 Ft - 120.35.35

3 Ft Sump

Skimmer: Bubble Magus NAC7

Chiller: Hailea 1/4 HS66A

Lights: T5 4 tubes ATI + Maxspect Glaive Led

Refugium with Liverocks and Cheato and lots of pods

Refugium light: Par38 Full spectrum

Return pump: Hailea HX6540..stupid pump so noisy

Wavemaker: Maxspect Gyre 130

• SRC Member
Yup thanks Shadow Walker, i will do so. What you planning to keep in your tank?
I'm greedy, I want a bit of everything hahaha. Lps,sps and clam :)

Shadow Walkers's 4 ft Shallow Reef Chronicles

4 Ft - 120.35.35

3 Ft Sump

Skimmer: Bubble Magus NAC7

Chiller: Hailea 1/4 HS66A

Lights: T5 4 tubes ATI + Maxspect Glaive Led

Refugium with Liverocks and Cheato and lots of pods

Refugium light: Par38 Full spectrum

Return pump: Hailea HX6540..stupid pump so noisy

Wavemaker: Maxspect Gyre 130

• SRC Member

I'm still at day 12 of my current setup. Hoping i never have to go through diatom bloom period.

Bro Drahc, what are you keeping in your 5ft tank?

dont worry about diatoms bro and its a good sign that life is already present in your tank. it only lasted about a week on my tank. i scrub it off my glass then did a water change. my skimmer skimmed them all along with the nitrates and posphate.

for now im keeping soft only corals, blue tang, blonde naso, pair of clown and school of chromis. for starter LS i highly suggest to start with b/g chromis. good luck with ur tank bro.