New Tank

Ian Joseph

Sorry can't really give you review for sm100 cause I didn't use it before :P. Hope others that use refugium can give you some comment .

Well if you grow cheato I believe you can grow some pods in there .

Still most people will recommend you to have a skimmer (just get a second hand one with PUMp it's cheaper than a return pump ) other than removing protein, they do help to remove other nuisance stuff that don't belong in the tank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So today got a new Jebao dc6000 and rw15. Still in the box as i'm taking time to clean the tank and do the plumbing. Also want to redo the sump setup and make it wider for refugium area.

Any gurus can help on the question on using a algae scrubber like the sm100 vs skimmer?

Plan is to from DT down to SM100(algae Scrubber)+filter sock then into refugium then to chiller and back to DT.

Would this be sufficient or do i need to run reactors and skimmers?

Best regards and Happy Reefing!

• SRC Member

Reactors + skimmer will be much more efficient than algae scrubber.

| Display : 48x30x22 Skimmer : SK-201 skimz

| Sump : 30x24x18 Wavemaker : 2x RW-15 , 1x RW-8

| Cooling : 1HP titanium drop in coil ATO : JBJ

| Lighting : ATI Sunpower 8x54w + 48x cree xte royal blue Return : Jebao dc-6000

| Dosing : Jebao dosing pump [ CaCl2 + NaHCO3 ] Pump :

| Reactor : FSZ Z160 zeolite reactor & phosban 150

| System : ZEOVIT

decomm-ed :

Ydkm SPS reef

:wub: >><< :wub:

Planning to go fowlr first then get sps and lps later when parameters have stabilized and have got skimmers and reactors in. probably about 2-3 months down the road. was just wondering if the SM100 could handle till then. don't really wanna spend until i have to :)

• 3 weeks later...

Dum Dum dum, tank will be moving out of my room(storage) and into the hall in 2 days, just wanted to update. Kena poison by all these posts and what not i have now spent about $60 at Daiso buying god knows what lol. Will post more pics of the items i bought and the tank once i've moved the stuff out.

Have also found a skimmer that is affordable and fits(AquaPharm AP1200) but since no need to run skimmer while cycling i will wait a few weeks before getting it.

As for lightings am still looking for about 4 Par38 bulbs 12x3w with the green, red and uv at very reasonable prices( second hand also i don't mind) but will take my time as i feel only my sump would need light for now(cycling period). Am also planning on getting an intelligent controllable LED light for the DT by end Jan( Any suggestions?)

Have decided to redo my plumbing so that i will have from my main DT -> 3 ball Valve,1 to SM100,1 to filter sock, and last one so i can drain water to the drain at my common corridor 5 feet away when i do WC( Wooot) -> live rocks and some biohome -> refugium -> 2 return pumps(in case 1 dies) one of which will t off to my chiller(HC300) and back into last compartment. The skimmer will be placed in first compartment when i get it together with the live rocks and biohome. Sump will be lighted by a LED grow light(to be bought next week).

So now comes the main issues i have been deliberating in my head, for the DT i wanted a black sand bed but can't seem to find anyone who has them. So i might just go with whatever i see that looks good. ( open to any suggestions, please do include brands and where to buy if possible)

For saltwater, can anyone advise on whether to use distilled and add saltmix or DI and add saltmix or NSW from lfs (Please do advise on which type of saltmix works best)

For my refugium i am still unsure whether i use the same sand as DT or am i supposed to get some special soil? Also how deep will the sandbed have to be? ( am not running a reactor till much later as its gonna be fowlr first)

That being said any gurus please feel free to point me in the right direction, question or correct anything i have posted so far.

Happpy New Year, here's to wishing all the bros and sis a happy, fun filled and prosperous year ahead ! :yahoo: :groupwavereversed::yahoo:

Hi Ian ,

Congrats for the new setup , It's always a great feeling when setting up a new tank,

Let's answer all your doubt above ,

the skimmer you chose is a good one , if can go bigger the better.

As for lights , forget the par38 .. Go for those with more control and better coverage for your tank.

Sump, leave out the rocks and Biohome , skimmer and FR in same compartment. Grow led are good,

Sand in DT ... I saw lots if them @ DE aquatic , live white pink ones

Water , get the LFS to deliver NSW .. Anyway after cycling U gonna change out some water at least 50% , so why waste expensive salts and distilled water.(assuming u don't have a RODI unit)

Next Leave the refuge bare , no sand or soil and put in cheato .If u really want a deep sandbed, put sand into a bucket as deep as u want and put the bucket into the sump. This so it is easy to remove

Oh and run the FR as soon as possible .. Get those that run AIO pallets.

Hope that helped and good luck ..!!

Stairway to Heaven

Any updates on ur tank build?

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

Chiller : Dalkin 1hp compressor with build-in drop coil.

Skimmer : Skimz Octa SC205i Protein Skimmer.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

CR : Skimz Monzter E Series CM122 Calcium Reactor.

BPR: Marine Source Biopellet  Reactor with Continuum Reef Biopellet Fuel. 

Main Return Pump : SICCE Syncra ADV 9.0 & Jebao ACQ-10000 Water Pump.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Water Top Up: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite.