setting up a 5ft tall tank, considerations

ml708

• SRC Member

I live in a second floor condo, and was wondering if anyone else has set up a high tank. Any issues with the flooring pressure?

I'm thinking of going for a 5 foot tank with 6 foot length and 3 foot width.

Wow !! Is that gonna be a 6f length ,3f width and 5f depth !!!

There are certain regulations regarding weight for HDB flats , anything above 600kg per room needs to apply for a permit or something.

Not too sure about condos.

Stairway to Heaven

• SRC Member

It will b an impressive setup..strong pumps, wavemakers, lights, chiller, etc are needed..everything must b strong :-) .. require very thick glass or acrylic too.. Legal or not must check..hdb sure buay pass..do factor in the weight danger on the floor too yea..cheers & happy reefing..

@ 291213

Updated video: Kenyee FOWLR

http://m.youtube.com/my_videos

• SRC Member

I think he really meant it as 5ft height. Had a chat with him the other day. The mermaid industry is expanding. hehe

I was told by my condo management that they feel it exceeds the weight loading, though they aren't exactly sure what it is. However I am going to contact the original developer for information on the floor loading capacity.

I really want to do this!

• SRC Member

Woah bro serious ah?? 5 feet height... i thought it was typo lolol. Good luck and please post stuff here!! I would live to see how your tank turns out! You willing to do all the maintainence? Haha

• SRC Member

Just crunching some numbers - 6ft x 5ft x 3ft will hold 2294 liters of water assuming 90% filled with water. Plus tank add another 200kg? No mention of whether using sump. Weight could be ard 3 ton if add rocks and equipments etc. 1 litre ~ 1kg

Shadow Walkers's 4 ft Shallow Reef Chronicles

4 Ft - 120.35.35

3 Ft Sump

Skimmer: Bubble Magus NAC7

Chiller: Hailea 1/4 HS66A

Lights: T5 4 tubes ATI + Maxspect Glaive Led

Refugium with Liverocks and Cheato and lots of pods

Refugium light: Par38 Full spectrum

Return pump: Hailea HX6540..stupid pump so noisy

Wavemaker: Maxspect Gyre 130

• SRC Member

Just crunching some numbers - 6ft x 5ft x 3ft will hold 2294 liters of water assuming 90% filled with water. Plus tank add another 200kg?No mention of whether using sump. Weight could be ard 3 ton if add rocks and equipments etc.1 litre ~ 1kg

Yeah, but thing that worries me most though is the pressure per square meter on the flooring due to the water pressure generated by the height.

I was told that if I want to install a 10x3x3 that could be done with no problems though. But with risks associated with such weights I wouldn't want to take that risk unless absolutely sure haha.

Any structural engineers here?

Wow can swimming in the tank. Good to train small children diving and under water photography.

6.5 * 2 * 2 + 3.75 * 1.5 *1.5,(Decomn on 14/9/08)
4*2*2 + 2.5*1.25*1.25 (Decomn on 1/8/09)
5*2*2 (Fully LED light system, 140 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)
2.5*2*2(Fully LED Light System,96 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)

5*2.5*2(LED only)

Eheim return 1 * pump

1 HP Daikin compressor with cooling coil
2 Jebao OW40, 1 ecotech MP40,
1X6085 Tunze wm,

1 CURVE 7 Skimmer

1 DIY 80 led control by Bluefish mini 

1 radion XR30W G2, 2 Radion XR15G3

Sump area lite by 5 ft T5 , 6 * SSC 3 watt red LED for refugium

1 Full spectrum E27 led light

1 CR control by bubble count

Start No Water Change since 1st Dec 2016

Add new 2.5x2x 1.5 ft 

nLekOfpYts.jpg
[/quote]

• SRC Member

Yeah, but thing that worries me most though is the pressure per square meter on the flooring due to the water pressure generated by the height.

I was told that if I want to install a 10x3x3 that could be done with no problems though. But with risks associated with such weights I wouldn't want to take that risk unless absolutely sure haha.

Any structural engineers here?

I dun think any structural engineer here can help in accessing if its safe anot unless he/she is the engineer for ur condo plus knowing all the details of materials used, etc & do calculations.. I believe no one will want to put his/her head on the chopping board by approving this as the weight is too much and can't imagine ur floor give way.. not to pour cold water, such tank I feel is more for landed house.. Anyway, still hope u can get ur condo management approval to construct such an impressive tank in ur house.. Camping here for more update yea..cheers & happy reefing

@ 291213

Updated video: Kenyee FOWLR

http://m.youtube.com/my_videos

• SRC Supporter

You will typically need to engage a professional engineer (PE) to certify such matters. Not every building is the same. Hence a 6x5x3ft tank in one building may not be safe in another.

If its a very heavy load, the engineer can advise to locate it in a location where there is a structural beam across. It may not be safe its just cement below it.

Even if you are on the ground floor of a condo, it still needs to be consulted if there could be a basement car park below.

Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/mysliceofnature/

• 4 months later...

I am keen to know how this worked out for our bro here because i am moving into my condo soon too and am planning on a 7x3x2.5! But the weight would be nearing 2 tons and the weight issue/kilo newton per square thing is bugging me.

THREAD NECROMANCY! * waves staff*

• SRC Member

I am keen to know how this worked out for our bro here because i am moving into my condo soon too and am planning on a 7x3x2.5! But the weight would be nearing 2 tons and the weight issue/kilo newton per square thing is bugging me.

THREAD NECROMANCY! * waves staff*

Hey bro, unfortunately as I may be moving out of SG in the 3rd quarter this year, I am unable to complete this project.

However one thing to take note is to check if your condo does have an underground carpark directly below your unit.

I would think overall weight of the tank is not as significant. Other bros have done similar sizes to what you are planning with no problems, even without staying in a ground floor unit, and I hope it works out this way for you!

• SRC Member

Sad to hear you cant complete your project and i hope you relocate smoothly! Thanks for the advice!

Dont worry, I am relocating to set up something much much bigger than an ordinary home aquarium. It will take a few years of effort and I hope to succeed