Genicanthus personatus, Centropyge debelius and Conspic hybrid

yikai

• Senior Reefer

As an editor for reef builders, i'm very fortunate to be able to travel and meet many influential people in the industry. This weekend I visited Dr. Chung Wing Hung and took some photos of three amazing species. Dr. Chung if you're reading this, thanks again for the invite. Hope to see you again soon!

With so much hype surrounding the captive breeding success of this species, let us not forget how truly magnificent the adult male is, and how it got its specific name of "personatus".

post-15755-0-27455000-1416382940_thumb.j

post-15755-0-26816100-1416382941_thumb.j

• Senior Reefer

"personatus" means mask, and both sexes of this angel has a prominent face mask. the females have a black mask while the males have it in yellow.

This photo shows the male while it was chasing another fish in the tank, and when it's excited it turns from white to gun metal grey. the yellow mask is very clearly seen here.

post-15755-0-17578000-1416383117_thumb.j

• Senior Reefer

Another very rare angelfish in Dr. Chung's collection.

A hybrid this time, between Chaetodontoplus meredithi and C. conspicillatus. Hybrids in this genus are very rare. what makes this even more unusual is its small size, at slightly below 3 inches.

post-15755-0-09014700-1416383292_thumb.j

post-15755-0-79106600-1416383292_thumb.j

post-15755-0-75920700-1416383293_thumb.j

• Like 1

• Senior Reefer

Dr. Chung also has in the same tank,

- a juvenile captive bred personatus angelfish. However it is still very small and housed in a betta box, therefore i didn't take photos.

- a single male Tosanoides flavofasciatus. Too shy and didn't allow me to take any nice photos to post.

- a single Prognathodes "basabei".

- another hybrid angelfish, this time between Pomacanthus maculosus and P. chrysurus. Very very shy, impossible to photograph. but very beautiful.