is it brown algae..?

• SRC Member

Bro, it looks like diatom and if it is yes it's part of cycling. After which you will see the green aglae taking over.

Shadow Walkers's 4 ft Shallow Reef Chronicles

4 Ft - 120.35.35

3 Ft Sump

Skimmer: Bubble Magus NAC7

Chiller: Hailea 1/4 HS66A

Lights: T5 4 tubes ATI + Maxspect Glaive Led

Refugium with Liverocks and Cheato and lots of pods

Refugium light: Par38 Full spectrum

Return pump: Hailea HX6540..stupid pump so noisy

Wavemaker: Maxspect Gyre 130

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi, My tank is also having a mini Diatom bloom, was told to watch on my phosphate level which is slightly on a high side of between 0.1-0.25. Ideally suppose to keep it near zero. I did a 40% WC, cut down on lighting hours and used reefmax Amophos. Monitoring my phosphate level.. lets hope that it goes down so that I can start adding my corals. :rolleyes:

OMG! My tank is filled with Diatoms now, does it also mean that the green algae will take over later stage?

Anyway to abstain it from occurring?

Diatom mainly survive on silicate. A working rodi unit should remove this from your tap water. If u are already using a rodi double check on the tds reading. Also adding of new rocks or sand(dead or alive) could be a possible cause of silicate too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi, My tank is also having a mini Diatom bloom, was told to watch on my phosphate level which is slightly on a high side of between 0.1-0.25. Ideally suppose to keep it near zero. I did a 40% WC, cut down on lighting hours and used reefmax Amophos. Monitoring my phosphate level.. lets hope that it goes down so that I can start adding my corals. :rolleyes:

Bro see the above reply haha about the same to answer your question :) IMO 0 TDS is just as important as maintaining mg ca and kH. The max I will allow is 2tds and I will be doing maintenance on the rodi unit(replacing whatever filter that needs to be replaced)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you bros for your replies,

Actually I'm not using a RODI unit at the moment as my tank is only 60x45x45,

Initially I bought DI water from Iwrana and mixed with sea salt, and recently bought salt water from Jireh for the WC as mentioned above.

but will take note if I get a RODI unit in the future, will update here on whatever happens to my tank hereafter. :lol:

• SRC Member

I'm currently cycling my tank and all the live rocks are covered in Diatom. So it's not dangerous to the fishes or corals if I start adding them? The last time I cycled my old tank it wasn't that bad. All I got from the first time was some greenish and purplish algae.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all, just to give a quick update on what's happening to my tank. 1-2 weeks after the above post the diatoms have slowly cleared off.

As many experienced bros have mention here an in the other threads, diatoms is just one of the new tank symptoms that will pass over time as long as water parameters are in check. :)

but currently I'm having some Dinoflagellates which I'm trying to fight them off in my tank, but will share the experience in thread discussing about that also in the nuisance algae help forum.

• SRC Member

My situation also very perculiar:

My Rocks are with Brown thingy (previous set up with Live Rocks).

But for the longest time .... it is always brown and I never had Green Algae ..... Funny.

Dinos are real nuisance , nothing eats them , they reproduce super fast , they covers and kills corals .. They are slimy and yucky. U will have to wait it out till they consume all the nutrients ,po4 no3 silicate .., same as diatoms they will disappear when there are no food for them.

Try bacteria and carbon dosing , will make process faster

Stairway to Heaven