• SRC Supporter

You need to culture rotifer or pods in order to feed the baby . You can also try rising baby brine shrimp to feed the seahorse.

Fortunately, rotifer and pods can be rise easily with the correct food .

You need to culture rotifer or pods in order to feed the baby . You can also try rising baby brine shrimp to feed the seahorse.

Fortunately, rotifer and pods can be rise easily with the correct food .

if I put those forzen rotifer together with the babies in a tank and add a gentle wave maker to move the rotifer around.. with the main filter pump off.. will they eat it??? since this rotifier will be like free floating around....

Current Tank(s) :

2 x 1 x 1 mixed reef tank

What in my mind now (future tanks)

4 x 2.5 x 1.5 low profile coral tank

3 x 2.5 x 1.5 low profile reef tank

Decommissioned Tanks :

2 ft seahorse tank back in the 1990s'

2.5 ft cube mixed reef tank in 2007 to 2008

JBJ 28g Tank . Maxspect G1 110W + 12W DIY LED . Tunze 9002 Skimmer . Vortech MP10w ES . SPS only Tank . Picasso Clown Fish (2009 to 2011)

2 x 1 x 1 puffer-fishes, box-fishes & Frog-fish tank (2015)

• SRC Member

hi guys,

so today i was taking a picture of my last remaining seahorse fry because i thought i would eventually lose him as well. But anyway, i took this photo and was looking at it and BAM!

at the tip of his tail was a...CAUDAL FIN! wow and it looks horizontally flattened, similar to marine mammals. This, along with what i read about male seahorses secreting a

hormone called prolactin in their pouches when they are pregnant, similar to that in pregnant mammal mothers makes me really wonder if they are more than just fish. Anyway, i

have attached a picture for you guys to see.

post-23468-0-25203400-1433929882.jpg

2u72lqx.gif

hi guys,

so today i was taking a picture of my last remaining seahorse fry because i thought i would eventually lose him as well. But anyway, i took this photo and was looking at it and BAM!

at the tip of his tail was a...CAUDAL FIN! wow and it looks horizontally flattened, similar to marine mammals. This, along with what i read about male seahorses secreting a

hormone called prolactin in their pouches when they are pregnant, similar to that in pregnant mammal mothers makes me really wonder if they are more than just fish. Anyway, i

Did u try feeding it with live rotifers ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• SRC Member

Did u try feeding it with live rotifers ??

No ahhahha, i gave most of my fries away and kept around 10 for experimenting hahaha. But my friends who fed rotifers didnt have much luck also. Maybe next batch got better success ahhaha. I would think water quality would be the issue since rotifers were offered.

2u72lqx.gif

hi guys,

wow.. rare to see this... keep it well with all you can... if it surive it will be a rare beauty...

Current Tank(s) :

2 x 1 x 1 mixed reef tank

What in my mind now (future tanks)

4 x 2.5 x 1.5 low profile coral tank

3 x 2.5 x 1.5 low profile reef tank

Decommissioned Tanks :

2 ft seahorse tank back in the 1990s'

2.5 ft cube mixed reef tank in 2007 to 2008

JBJ 28g Tank . Maxspect G1 110W + 12W DIY LED . Tunze 9002 Skimmer . Vortech MP10w ES . SPS only Tank . Picasso Clown Fish (2009 to 2011)

2 x 1 x 1 puffer-fishes, box-fishes & Frog-fish tank (2015)

• SRC Member

wow.. rare to see this... keep it well with all you can... if it surive it will be a rare beauty...

hahah it died bro. As i expected. Anyway, from what i read, The tail fin is actually a normal occurrence. It gets absorbed into the tail as the baby seahorse grows up. It just that not many people have seen it before because its so tiny

2u72lqx.gif

• SRC Member

Oh dear sorry to hear that. If you have the chance to nurse again lck do sell live rotifers

hi bro,

Thanks for the info. I will try get some for the next batch of fries.

2u72lqx.gif

• 7 months later...
  • SRC Member

Hi.

I had saw all comment from here but May I know where can I buy live shrimp and what kind of shrimp can buy?

Gary Teo

Hey Gary, 

since you're asking where to buy live shrimps i would assume u intend to get wildcaught seahorses. i would advice against this since there are captive bred seahorses available in the market currently. Captive bred seahorses do not require live shrimps and will eat frozen mysis assuming these are healthy individuals. 

2u72lqx.gif

• 1 month later...
  • SRC Supporter

This is a nice gadget for hatching baby brine shrimps. No pumps, lights or additional step to separate eggs required. 

Just put the brine shrimp eggs on the outside...

P6170303.jpg

Put the lid on

P6170302.jpg

And this is the yield 24 hours later. 

P6170307.jpg

Edited by SubzeroLT

Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/mysliceofnature/

• 3 months later...
  • SRC Member

Hey guys,

I went down to Henry's just now to take a look at the reidis! They were so cute! and healthy and Henry fed them frozen mysis for me to watch. They were really active. Anyway, for anyone who is contemplating getting them, i think its a pretty good deal. Reidi fries are very tiny and require more resources to raise which would kind of explain the price for those of us who think its pretty expensive. ( i wasn't sponsored by anyone to write this, i just received very good service and decided to return the favour ). Meanwhile enjoy the photos and a video i took. 

20160524_164745.jpg

20160524_164756.jpg

20160524_164821.jpg

20160524_164901.jpg

20160524_164735.jpg

20160524_164526.jpg

• Like 1

2u72lqx.gif

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • SRC Member

Look like this thread was dead long ago, but then this is the primary seahorse thread I can find in this forum. 

2 weeks ago, I brought 4 seahorses from aquamarine marine pet. These are remaining stock (1 male & 3 females), the shop keeper want to clear them also.

There are some seahorse lovers interested in my update, so I shifted to this thread. 

I put seahorses in my sump tank. Feed twice daily, morning before I go to work and night. I often observe them and adjust the setup. 

Attach is my short video, knights of the square table. Pic attached also.

20180224_203426.mp4

454ea22b66beaf2c7786f5a799dad935.jpg

• Like 1

• SRC Member

They still eating, but I can only afford to feed them 2 times a day. The video above was shoot yesterday night.

There are other problem I facing. The compartment previously belonged to my chaeto. Previously I got bryopsis from a frag. I remove chaeto, put vibrant.  Later by some mean manage to remove bryopsis. Then I put back chaeto, but they dying. and red slime algae came back. This slime algae can grow on seahorse. I adjusting the light to suit both seahorses and chaeto.