• SRC Member

Hello everyone,

recently i see a building interest in the keeping of seahorses and as a person who is very interested in keeping seahorses myself, i thought it would be great to start a topic on the husbandry of seahorses. Maybe members who have been successful can share with us how they have kept their seahorses successfully in the long term and any special ways that they have in solving the problems faced in keeping seahorses. Some examples of problems may be feeding the seahorses etc. Pictures of seahorse tanks will be greatly appreciated.

:ThanxSmiley:

2u72lqx.gif

Haven't tried too but it's always been on my bucket list.

From what I have read so far, seahorses need to be kept in a species tank as they are really slow eaters and would find it hard fighting for food with other tank mates. The tank should also have plants like mangroves or branching macro algae that will act as support for the seahorses. Wave should also be minimum in the tank.

• Like 1

• SRC Member

Aiyah! then why never! ahahhaa i am going to buy tomorrow!!!!

Rushing lah Bro so never get. Very nice seahorses but can't determine gender as too small.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• SRC Member

hi guys just thought i would show you the seahorse i have bought. Hopefully we can get good advice to make my pony's life better. I decided to keep the tank bare bottom and only use plastic holdfasts to avoid introduction of bacteria that is highly lethal to juvenile seahorses like mine. So, there you go! my first contribution to my own thread :cheers: ANd my seahorse changed colour today. From the dark almost black colour to this bright yellow.

post-23468-0-25766700-1420351460_thumb.j

post-23468-0-24330400-1420351454_thumb.j

2u72lqx.gif

• SRC Member

hi guys just thought i would show you the seahorse i have bought. Hopefully we can get good advice to make my pony's life better. I decided to keep the tank bare bottom and only use plastic holdfasts to avoid introduction of bacteria that is highly lethal to juvenile seahorses like mine. So, there you go! my first contribution to my own thread :cheers: ANd my seahorse changed colour today. From the dark almost black colour to this bright yellow.

attachicon.gifseahorse.jpg

attachicon.gifseahorse 2.jpg

Wow so you dedicated a tank just for the seahorse? Or this is yr sump

Shadow Walkers's 4 ft Shallow Reef Chronicles

4 Ft - 120.35.35

3 Ft Sump

Skimmer: Bubble Magus NAC7

Chiller: Hailea 1/4 HS66A

Lights: T5 4 tubes ATI + Maxspect Glaive Led

Refugium with Liverocks and Cheato and lots of pods

Refugium light: Par38 Full spectrum

Return pump: Hailea HX6540..stupid pump so noisy

Wavemaker: Maxspect Gyre 130

• SRC Member

Wow so you dedicated a tank just for the seahorse? Or this is yr sump

hi bro, from what i read and what Turtle1989 said earlier, seahorses cant have alot of things that we would need in a standard reef aquarium like strong flow and other beautiful fish etc . And i love seahorses alot so i decided to just set up a tank for it. maybe i will add some corals and photosynthetic gorgonians in the future but must wait a few months for my pony to grow bigger and stronger hahahaha

2u72lqx.gif

• SRC Member

Hi Hipporider, just curious to know what you feed your seahorses. At the moment mine are snacking off the pods in my tank. But I don't think that's a sustainable method of feeding them.

Did you get your seahorses from New Trio? If you did then they are already trained to feed on from mysis which is AMAZING! and yeah the seahorses will finish up the pods in no time.

2u72lqx.gif

• SRC Member

4c3e35cd79af82fcb07f791822136338.jpg

yup I got 4 of them today ... so cute !!!

here's my setup c97e38dc98b963d8761aaebccc651e52.jpg

Wow your setup looks amazing!!!! Hope the ponies thrive under your excellent care!

2u72lqx.gif