Indisplay refugium

• SRC Member

As there is no way that I can do a sump, am very tempted to use a breeder plastic tank (those that used suction cups to hang on to a side of the tank) to be a refugium. It is about 12"x6"x8" in size, with perforated holes at the base and 2 sides of the tank. My plan is to keep it bare bottom with just chaetos in there. Is this workable?

Let's leave the aesthetics portion out for the moment :P

• SRC Member

I'm using that but it's those breeder net with chaeto but I put it in my slump cause my tank is too small to place a breeder box.

Is it the squarish one? I just threw one away lol

How big is your tank and given that it's in your sump, why the need to use a breeding box for it or is it a case of no available space in the sump itself?

• SRC Member

Done it before. The benefits are seriously negligible. What size is your main tank by the way? U might be better off using other methods of controlling nutrients

It's a 3x2x2.

How about yours back then? Was it a case of the box being too small against the size of the tank?

• SRC Member

Why not just use canister/ FR/ HOB filter...

I'm already running a canister with LR and sand bed, plus a ohf (1 layer) as mech filtration and to add some oxygen in given that I do not have a protein skimmer to help me on that haha

• SRC Member

Yup the squarish one. My tank is a 3 tier 2ft. Bottom tier is the slump. At first I placed them in the slump but then some got sucked in the pump. Looks neater in trap and less messy too but I might get a acrylic box for it as the net doesn't allow it to tumble.

• SRC Member

I'm already running a canister with LR and sand bed, plus a ohf (1 layer) as mech filtration and to add some oxygen in given that I do not have a protein skimmer to help me on that haha

Then why not get a §kimmer ah?

子非鱼,焉知鱼之乐... (you are not the fish so you...)

Then: my 4FT low tech selling off tank... (2006)

Now: (2014)

@Sept 2014

I designed my tank to have a display refuge. After a month, that became history and now I have an empty compartment in the tank.

Before and after decom of the refugium didn't cause much difference in my DT and water parameters. Biopellets has since been doing a better job at keeping my water parameters stable.

I designed my tank to have a display refuge. After a month, that became history and now I have an empty compartment in the tank.

Before and after decom of the refugium didn't cause much difference in my DT and water parameters. Biopellets has since been doing a better job at keeping my water parameters stable.

exactly what i mean. lol

I Love Stagsss

Most people have a refugium to cultivate pods. If this is what u want the refugium for, than yes it is effective for cultivating pods.

A refugium however is not the most effective way to keep water clean. That's because u need to harvest a lot of algae to remove just that bit of nitrate. A better way would be an algae scrubber. Go search "ATS" or "Algae Scrubber" in the forums and U will know what I mean. It's not a physical scrubbing tool. :)

• SRC Member

Most people have a refugium to cultivate pods. If this is what u want the refugium for, than yes it is effective for cultivating pods.

A refugium however is not the most effective way to keep water clean. That's because u need to harvest a lot of algae to remove just that bit of nitrate. A better way would be an algae scrubber. Go search "ATS" or "Algae Scrubber" in the forums and U will know what I mean. It's not a physical scrubbing tool. :)

Thanks bro, may just give it a shot to focus on getting the pods so as to give my fish some snacks haha

By the way, do we need to seed to get the pods or they will appear naturally? ( noob here)

Seen the ATS, will mean another 'massive' sideline project if I am to try that :)

• SRC Member

Usually pods will hitchhike from live rocks at the LFS, fellow reefers or even corals. But if you want to speed the process up, you could get some pods from fellow reefers to seed the tank. Chaeto usually has pods with it too

• SRC Member

Usually pods will hitchhike from live rocks at the LFS, fellow reefers or even corals. But if you want to speed the process up, you could get some pods from fellow reefers to seed the tank. Chaeto usually has pods with it too

Ok, will be getting some chaeto from a fellow reefer soon so hopefully there are many hitchhikers in there haha