Is this BRYOPSIS?

• SRC Member

Is this bryopsis or hair algae? My tank is riddled with this on the rocks and all over the substrate. These two pics are from 2 different days, and they don't even come close to 1/10 of all the algae I see on my tank!

What is the way to go here? From my readings and research, Kent Marine Tech-M then maintaining tank at 1700ppm magnesium for 1 month will eradicate this nuisance algae?

But my question is what will die from the high magnesium?

post-23677-0-05805800-1420862879_thumb.j

post-23677-0-70061300-1420862882_thumb.j

White Reef

White Reef pt. 2

• SRC Member

I used continuum mg liquid.

Up 100ppm/day , till 1.7k from 1.2k.

Make sure u dont wc during high mg. Else mg will drop.

Casualty : none. Nothing dies. sps can still color up. Growth as per normal

All bryopsis died and rocks are back to shiny white in 24days.

Before. 11 nov 2014

658b2ce3a539267ecc688c432b0d44ed.jpg

After. 5 dec 2014

f11e41b038e4c2fafa4ef3cba20697e1.jpg

Now. 10 jan 2015

( coralline algae spread growth super fast. I mean real fast )

My rocks are almost fully covered with coralline now.

46cb891ec0bc75d3f96a8f422d9d5321.jpg

| Display : 48x30x22 Skimmer : SK-201 skimz

| Sump : 30x24x18 Wavemaker : 2x RW-15 , 1x RW-8

| Cooling : 1HP titanium drop in coil ATO : JBJ

| Lighting : ATI Sunpower 8x54w + 48x cree xte royal blue Return : Jebao dc-6000

| Dosing : Jebao dosing pump [ CaCl2 + NaHCO3 ] Pump :

| Reactor : FSZ Z160 zeolite reactor & phosban 150

| System : ZEOVIT

decomm-ed :

Ydkm SPS reef

:wub: >><< :wub:

• SRC Member

Bryopsis. Battling this algae is nothing compared to cyano.

Hope that your bryopsis strain is the common one that dies in high mg.

Do a search on google and you will get all the answers there.

Sometimes the good guys gotta do bad things to make the bad guys pay. - Harvey Specter

I've battled with bryopsis before and I've won.

Before the battle, I did my research and found not all brand of mg did the job and there are only two particular brand of mg that kills bryopsis; Brightwell and Kent.

My first try, Brightwell. I did all the level from 1500 and even push up the mg level to 2000 but nothing much happened. I've kept my mg level 2000 for about a month plus.

Then I try Kent. Since my mg level is still high, I start to dose after my mg level drop to 1700 after several routine WC. When I dose Kent mg to 1800, the next few days I can see some changes to the bryopsis.

The young bryopsis begin to wither and dye off. The old ones still going strong. I push up again to 1900. Still the same.

The new young one grew and wither. Then I remembered through my research that by pulling old stubborn bryopsis helps to fight bryopsis battle.

So I begin the frustrating part of pulling all the old one. When I did manage to pull off all the old bryopsis, stubborn as the name it start to grow back and dye off. I still maintain my Kent mg level to 1900. The I pull the strong and stubborn ones and the new grew and died.

I hold my mg level for about a month and monitor the bryopsis till it's totally disappear. Then I slowly bring down my mg level slowly through normal routine WC.

And yes, if you intend to push up the mg level, do it at 100ppm per day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• SRC Member

Thank you for sharing your experience. Currently I have 5 bottles of Kent MG waiting for me to start upping my MG next week. May I ask what was the final mg level you had on your kent? 1800? Also how did your corals and fishes tolerate this magnesium change? What kind of corals and fish you had at that time too? Thanks!

Before the battle, I did my research and found not all brand of mg did the job and there are only two particular brand of mg that kills bryopsis; Brightwell and Kent.

My first try, Brightwell. I did all the level from 1500 and even push up the mg level to 2000 but nothing much happened. I've kept my mg level 2000 for about a month plus.

Then I try Kent. Since my mg level is still high, I start to dose after my mg level drop to 1700 after several routine WC. When I dose Kent mg to 1800, the next few days I can see some changes to the bryopsis.

The young bryopsis begin to wither and dye off. The old ones still going strong. I push up again to 1900. Still the same.

The new young one grew and wither. Then I remembered through my research that by pulling old stubborn bryopsis helps to fight bryopsis battle.

So I begin the frustrating part of pulling all the old one. When I did manage to pull off all the old bryopsis, stubborn as the name it start to grow back and dye off. I still maintain my Kent mg level to 1900. The I pull the strong and stubborn ones and the new grew and died.

I hold my mg level for about a month and monitor the bryopsis till it's totally disappear. Then I slowly bring down my mg level slowly through normal routine WC.

White Reef

White Reef pt. 2

I have soft and some sps at that time. All corals and fishes not affected by the high mg but I think the snails maybe a bit weak as they having a hard time trying to hold themselves on the glass.

If you want to start dosing Kent mg, the begin with 1600 and monitor for changes. If nothing happens push up another 100 an monitor.

What I think the key in high mg is to kill the young and new growth. Once you notice these changes, begin your main assault on the old ones.

Do monitor the young ones. They will grow back to fight back but if it didn't kill them at that level that you hold, push up another 100 and hold.

The key here is not to let the new one grow forever and remove the old one. If the new one can't grow and the old one totally remove. Monitor for another month until all clear then gradually lower down the mg. Hope that helps.

Always remember, these buggers don't really give up so easily so you must always keep a look out for those really stubborn ones.

Bro octan 10. Your kent TM is what size package and how much

6.5 * 2 * 2 + 3.75 * 1.5 *1.5,(Decomn on 14/9/08)
4*2*2 + 2.5*1.25*1.25 (Decomn on 1/8/09)
5*2*2 (Fully LED light system, 140 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)
2.5*2*2(Fully LED Light System,96 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)

5*2.5*2(LED only)

Eheim return 1 * pump

1 HP Daikin compressor with cooling coil
2 Jebao OW40, 1 ecotech MP40,
1X6085 Tunze wm,

1 CURVE 7 Skimmer

1 DIY 80 led control by Bluefish mini 

1 radion XR30W G2, 2 Radion XR15G3

Sump area lite by 5 ft T5 , 6 * SSC 3 watt red LED for refugium

1 Full spectrum E27 led light

1 CR control by bubble count

Start No Water Change since 1st Dec 2016

Add new 2.5x2x 1.5 ft 

nLekOfpYts.jpg
[/quote]

• SRC Member

hello! how do I determine if it's a new bryopsis or old one? mine i all over the sand bed! i'm actually thinking of removing all my sand. my rocks have too but mostly its on the sand.

today my tank reached 1700ppm magnesium from dosing tech-m. now, may I ask, what do I look out for? what to expect and what to do going forward? thanks

White Reef

White Reef pt. 2

• SRC Member

Started kent M tech-M magnesium dosing on Jan 23. with daily magnesium readings of

1-23-2015
mag = 1335ppm @ 200pm
1-24-2015 (seems have to treat tank as 80G)
mag = 1410ppm @ 200pm
1-25-2015
mag = 1500ppm @ 200pm
1-26-2015
mag = 1610ppm @ 1205pm
1-27-2015
mag = 1750ppm @ 1200pm
1-28-2015
mag = 1790ppm @ 1030am
1-29-2015
mag = 1815ppm @ 1015pm
1-30-2015
mag = 1770ppm @ 920pm
1-31-2015
magnesium = 1890ppm @210pm
2-1-2015
magnesium = 1890ppm @200pm
Now the bryopsis I just saw some brown strands but mostly they are still around. Then I read that I have to remove the carbon (DUH!) :( I had the small pack of carbon all along in my sump. Do I also need to remove my Ultraphos too?

White Reef

White Reef pt. 2

• SRC Member

Yup. Remove carbon and ultra phos ( white ball)

| Display : 48x30x22 Skimmer : SK-201 skimz

| Sump : 30x24x18 Wavemaker : 2x RW-15 , 1x RW-8

| Cooling : 1HP titanium drop in coil ATO : JBJ

| Lighting : ATI Sunpower 8x54w + 48x cree xte royal blue Return : Jebao dc-6000

| Dosing : Jebao dosing pump [ CaCl2 + NaHCO3 ] Pump :

| Reactor : FSZ Z160 zeolite reactor & phosban 150

| System : ZEOVIT

decomm-ed :

Ydkm SPS reef

:wub: >><< :wub:

• SRC Member

Oh my! My magnesium at 1800+ now. Bryopsis shows very little signs of wilting.... I'll take a few pics more probably.

My main problem is now the only local (Manila, Philippines) shop that carries Kent Marine products is out of stock of Tech M (all bought by me.)

White Reef

White Reef pt. 2

Oh my! My magnesium at 1800+ now. Bryopsis shows very little signs of wilting.... I'll take a few pics more probably.

It's a positive sign. The effect is not immediate but you can see it is doing its job. So be patience and monitor.

Now hold and maintain at that level.

If you doing water change, top up and maintain the same level as you are right now.

Try to remove manually as much as you can. After that all you need to do is just watch and observe for the kent M to take effect.

Results and duration may vary. If you can see changes, you are on the right path and the battle has begun.

• SRC Member

My concern is that from magnesium level 1300 all the way to level 1800, I had my carbon and GFO in the sump :( Maybe the chemicals that are needed have been sucked by the carbon and GFO? :(

It's a positive sign. The effect is not immediate but you can see it is doing its job. So be patience and monitor.

Now hold and maintain at that level.
If you doing water change, top up and maintain the same level as you are right now.

Try to remove manually as much as you can. After that all you need to do is just watch and observe for the kent M to take effect.

Results and duration may vary. If you can see changes, you are on the right path and the battle has begun.

White Reef

White Reef pt. 2

Oh..I missed the part on your carbon and GFO.

I've read it somewhere that the effectiveness of Kent Tech M to deal with bryopsis is not the magnesium but it's the impurities in the Kent tech M which they kept it secret that kills the bryopsis. So maybe the carbon must have absorb the impurities. Not really sure about GFOs.

So I suggest stop dosing. Continue doing your routine regular WC until the magnesium level hits 1500, then raise up again slowly Kent tech M until 1800 and maintain it as long as you can until all bryopsis are gone. Make before raising make sure all carbon or absorbent removed.

• SRC Member

Yeah, that is the plan! Thanks!

Oh..I missed the part on your carbon and GFO.

I've read it somewhere that the effectiveness of Kent Tech M to deal with bryopsis is not the magnesium but it's the impurities in the Kent tech M which they kept it secret that kills the bryopsis. So maybe the carbon must have absorb the impurities. Not really sure about GFOs.

So I suggest stop dosing. Continue doing your routine regular WC until the magnesium level hits 1500, then raise up again slowly Kent tech M until 1800 and maintain it as long as you can until all bryopsis are gone. Make before raising make sure all carbon or absorbent removed.

White Reef

White Reef pt. 2