How to start for sps??

acewong

• SRC Member

Just some tips:

* Make sure the tank temperature max. 28c

* Ensure that you have good intense light.

* Check your KH and Calcium. Ensure it is in good range e.g. KH 7 to 10. Ca 420 - 450. Then keep it that way as stable as possible.

* Ensure you got low Nitrate and Phosphate all the time. It is a challenge if you keep fish in such small tank.

* Start with most forgiving SPS like montipora and birdnests.

• SRC Member

I do have a birdnest n some sps but don't their id. ...

My water temperature all time about 26-27c

I onli have 2 fishes n 1 shrimp in the tank

Hope it's ok for those sps...

• SRC Member

Bro,

If the birdnest thrives, e.g color is pink for pink birdnest, growth is visible and getting faster. It indicates that the water should be good for more demanding SPS.

My personal experience with many SPS in limited volume system is stability of the parameters. My nano was 90L and when the SPS growth went crazy, the tank dKh can fluctuate a lot; there was just not enough buffering capability by that small amount of water.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• SRC Member

The only way to know is to try it out... I started with BN, acro, monti, then digi... then hand itchy, buy expensive aussie SPS, now heart seven up eight down...

back to your question, i think BN and digi are two safest bets, if these two gone in ur tank, then hey, you just gotten yourself more rooms for colourful LPS ah

子非鱼,焉知鱼之乐... (you are not the fish so you...)

Then: my 4FT low tech selling off tank... (2006)

Now: (2014)

@Sept 2014

• SRC Member

Imo and ime the main things to check first (as tofu mentioned) is po4 and no3.

Then you should check your kh.

If you can lower your po4 and no3, and maintain stable kh your tank will be sps ready in no time

• SRC Member

I think the key word is consistant in your water parameter. The basic that you need to ensure consistant IMHO is PH, KH, CA and MG, other than the NO3 & PO4. To ensure KH, CA and MG is the most challenging one, even so for a small tank because once your coral start to grow, it will reduce these parameters and therefore you must have a system to maintain it to prevent flutuation.

Up coming project:

5' x 2.5' x 2.5' Mix Reef Tank