How do you manage your nitrates/phosphates in such a small aquarium?

Jonathan Tan

• SRC Member

how many fishes do u have... how often do u feed your coral... if your NO3 PO4 creation is faster than your export, no way you can keep your NO3 PO4 down constantly...

Sorry to disagree with the bro above, but don't do frequent WC with NSW, because there is absolutely no guarantee in the consistent level of water parameters in NSW, and for same tank, this mean more water change equal more water fluctuation equal more chance to buy new fish and coral...

子非鱼,焉知鱼之乐... (you are not the fish so you...)

Then: my 4FT low tech selling off tank... (2006)

Now: (2014)

@Sept 2014

No problem bro , everyone entitles to their own opinion, why I say 50% wC .. Coz I've seen real live , not read from the net or anywhere ...90% monthly wC with nsw on a full Sps big tank. 50% wC on a Sps nano.

All I can say is , keep it simple ,don't think too much ,be it wC with nsw or rodi/salt mix ,wC is a good method to bring down nitrates.

Oh and when using nsw u still can adjust the parameters before adding to the tank , plus point is they come with beneficial bacteria unlike Ro saltmix.

Stairway to Heaven

Cheato and other algae plants reduces nitrates only when they are harvested out of the water. The only way it can be effective would be when it is harvested in huge quantities which is impossible in a nano.

Bro, so far Biopellets have been doing a good (fantastic) job in my 50L nano and couple that with weekly 40-50% water change (Salt mix), my nitrates are always below 5. This is with 7 fishes and 2 inverts feeding 3 times a day in my tank.

Small tank = small quantity of water , to reduce nitrate simply change 50% of water weekly easiest and best way using NSW .

NSW?

how many fishes do u have... how often do u feed your coral... if your NO3 PO4 creation is faster than your export, no way you can keep your NO3 PO4 down constantly...

Sorry to disagree with the bro above, but don't do frequent WC with NSW, because there is absolutely no guarantee in the consistent level of water parameters in NSW, and for same tank, this mean more water change equal more water fluctuation equal more chance to buy new fish and coral...

As of now, 0. I feed them 1-2 times a week. Yeah, I would agree with that too. I'm doing 10% change now biweekly, gonna start 20% weekly though, due to time constrains.

You Can use cheato or other algae plants to reduce nitrates.

But i am not sure how effective it is.. & i am sure its not a quick fix!

Yeah, I do have a handful in my return compartment.

Cheato and other algae plants reduces nitrates only when they are harvested out of the water. The only way it can be effective would be when it is harvested in huge quantities which is impossible in a nano.

Bro, so far Biopellets have been doing a good (fantastic) job in my 50L nano and couple that with weekly 40-50% water change (Salt mix), my nitrates are always below 5. This is with 7 fishes and 2 inverts feeding 3 times a day in my tank.

Cool, I didnt know that. But biopellets need a reactor right? Mind sending a pic of how you set up your equipments?

• SRC Member

Hmmm have been using the biofuel awhile... Nitrates drop to 0ppm hard , on the first day o.o ... From 160ppm to 0ppm within 3hrs.

Have been like that for 3 days (0ppm) [Maybe because I remove all the fishes, crabs and snails remain and I do feed them]

Hope this helps :thumbsup: