Kalkwasser with vinegar

• SRC Member

My experience with vinegar dosing is a bad one. Though it does reduce po4, I rather choose other natural means of export instead. Don't simply dose anything if you're not sure what you're doing.

Sometimes the good guys gotta do bad things to make the bad guys pay. - Harvey Specter

• SRC Member

Seems like the experience of vinegar dosing is quite balanced. Good mixed with the bad. The effects are also not consistently the same. Any other reefers would like to lend their weight to the issue?

Vinegar,vodka,bio pallets,bio sphere etc etc ,all these are carbon product ,food for bacteria. Removes po4 and no3. Regular test will show if they are effective.

As for kalkwasser , it is calcium and kh both in 1.

So if talking about calcium and kh it all depends on the amount of coral in the tank and their consumption , regular testing on these element will show if it is sufficient

Different tanks have different bio loads ,feeding and such.

So it's best to monitor your own tank and determine what's best

I personally overdo the export of nutrients ,no3,po4 and have my own method and regime which I think is best but may not be good for someone else tank setup.

Stairway to Heaven

• SRC Member

Thank you Xiggie for the clarification in details.

You are right to say different tanks would have different results from kalk/vingear dosing. A positive side effect i am hoping to achieve with vinegar dosing is to use the bacteria as food for the sps. (at least that's what i read http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2011/3/aafeature)