Fluval Spec III Pico Tank

Davian Pepper

• SRC Member

First time trying marine tank hence starting with a small one, jumped ship from freshwater after decomm 3ft fresh water aquarium.

I have a Fluval Spec III 10L for try out.

Got a 1.4KG live rocks from chinatown sago lane, cycled the water for 1 week, placed in the live rock and cycled for 1 week.

Question:

I notice there is a tiny mantis shrimp hidden in the rock about 2cm is that ok? Will it cause harm to my future tiny clownfish and starfish?

The live rocks looks like purging smoke from some holes from time to time.. Twice daily or even more, sometimes can see some tentacles inside the purging holes, what is that.

Maybe a pic would help the reefers here ID for u.

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

Chiller : Dalkin 1hp compressor with build-in drop coil.

Skimmer : Skimz Octa SC205i Protein Skimmer.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

CR : Skimz Monzter E Series CM122 Calcium Reactor.

BPR: Marine Source Biopellet  Reactor with Continuum Reef Biopellet Fuel. 

Main Return Pump : SICCE Syncra ADV 9.0 & Jebao ACQ-10000 Water Pump.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Water Top Up: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite.

Thanka guys, i have attached 2 vid, one is the tentacles and smoke, another is the mantis shrimp (i think).

Currently i have introduce 2 tube worms and 1 doctor shrimp. Any complication here? Sunday will get 2 mini clowns and some anemone.

Oops i can't view both video.

Those worm that keep pumping out smoky stuff (detritus) are resident LR worms , could be lots of type of worms , among them bristleworm, fireworm, rockworm,spoonworm and many more. These worms constantly burrow in the rocks and the smoky dust are the results.

I personally would keep them in there but you are gonna get advise to remove those so called 'pests' .

They are monsters that kills and eats pet fish.

Stairway to Heaven

If u do take the advice of removing them , freshwater dip or soak or whatever , be prepared to kill the whole LR, be prepared to cycle your 10L tank for a longer period , be prepared with high ammonia,nitrite,nitrate,phosphate and all the other more problematic issues.

And after all that , when u start to buy corals take note that all corals that comes on LR will have these critters in them too.

Stairway to Heaven

Bro, ur vid setting still private. Can't view at all.

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

Chiller : Dalkin 1hp compressor with build-in drop coil.

Skimmer : Skimz Octa SC205i Protein Skimmer.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

CR : Skimz Monzter E Series CM122 Calcium Reactor.

BPR: Marine Source Biopellet  Reactor with Continuum Reef Biopellet Fuel. 

Main Return Pump : SICCE Syncra ADV 9.0 & Jebao ACQ-10000 Water Pump.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Water Top Up: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite.