Anemone keeps hidding

Davian Pepper

• SRC Member

My anemone keeps runnin around.

Sometimes at my water flow outlet, most of the time behind the LR. Sometimes below LR.

Super irritating, how to stop it from going behind and below the rocks? If they hide i cant seems to feed them, even using a pipette also hard to reach them.

• SRC Member

It moves in search of a better location. If it decide to settle behind the rock you shall just let it be. Plucking it out will only further stress it and kill it faster.

You shall improve your light/ flow/ water.

子非鱼,焉知鱼之乐... (you are not the fish so you...)

Then: my 4FT low tech selling off tank... (2006)

Now: (2014)

@Sept 2014

Bro, i kept plucking it out, then release back let it restick into a better place. But it go behind a LR like that he cant get lights and food liao. Its ok?

Bro, plucking it out will only cause more stress for them. let it move on by itself and they will find a comfortable place by itself.

But do take note of your wave maker as they are anemone killer.

• SRC Member

Don't subject them to direct flow/current. And place them on rocks or concaves. Easier for them to set foot. When placing them, reduce the current in the tank until they have anchored themselves. That said, they will still shift if they don't like the place. It will go to a place where there is enough light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• SRC Member

Bro whiskey, my anemone now set foot below the liverock hang upside down, sometimes open and sometimes closed like sourplum size. Is that healthy? I already direct the current away already they still hiding. Maybe i put the current blowing behind the live rock for it to come out.

• SRC Member

As long as the mouth is not gapping/internals coming out, it's fine. They do "purge" once in a while to very small size. Should return back to normal within 15 minutes or so. Is there still strong current at the place where you intend to place it? If it gets blown away the moment you place it there, the current is too strong.

• SRC Member

Sometimes at my water flow outlet, most of the time behind the LR. Sometimes below LR.

Super irritating, how to stop it from going behind and below the rocks? If they hide i cant seems to feed them, even using a pipette also hard to reach them.

Can I know how to feed an anemone? I'm new to this.

I have recently started a 4feet, and will wish to keep an anemone.

• SRC Member

Bro i uses reef snow. I dunno is correct food anot but lfs ask me buy reef snow to feed my zoas, star polyps and anemone.

• 1 month later...
  • SRC Member

Bro , anemone thrives better in established tanks. Wait at least 5-6 mths before adding one .

• SRC Member

can try mysis shrimp bro.

• 1 month later...

I had this anemone which used to stay in front of the tank on the sandbed. Until recently I rescaped and decided to put it on a LR. At first I thought it wasn't very happy on it, as it was shriveled up most of the time. So I removed it from the rock and placed it back to the original position it was in.

But lo and behold, the most amazing thing happened last night. It attached itself to a turbo snail, following it around the tank, then this morning I saw it back to the spot on the LR again.

• SRC Supporter

Some of my anecdotal observations of the 6 small anemone's in my tank & things done :

- Anemone typically like a small recess where they can anchor their foot in.

- I've epoxied some rocks together to create this movable structure before. I've also used a small piece of 1" piping with a small rock inside to create this recess

- Anemones that are hosted by clown fish & invertebrate (in my case, it was a porcelain crab) seem to do better.

- Those hosted has better colors & nice bubble tips all the time. They seem to stay put in one place.

- I have 2 anemones that are not hosted. They move around a lot more & to places with less light resulting in poor shape & colors.

• Like 1

Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/mysliceofnature/

• 2 months later...

I have kept anemones for 2 years. It has doubled in size and has even split into 2 pieces. The trick is not to subject it to high flow or direct current. When initially placing it, give it low light to acclimatize. Then feed it a piece of small shrimp. If it is eating, it shows it is fine. I find that if I keep feeding it at a spot, and the flow is fine, it is unlikely to move. Mine has stayed at the same spot for 2 years.

Edited by Rainmakersg

• SRC Member
I have kept anemones for 2 years. It has doubled in size and has even split into 2 pieces. The trick is not to subject it to high flow or direct current. When initially placing it, give it low light to acclimatize. Then feed it a piece of small shrimp. If it is eating, it shows it is fine. I find that if I keep feeding it at a spot, and the flow is fine, it is unlikely to move. Mine has stayed at the same spot for 2 years.

I thought we cant feed them for 1 week till they have found their spot?

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
  • SRC Member

the worst issue with anemone. i did the plucking like you do and killed a few. sometimes, those nice ones just wont settle down at the place we like. those not so nice ones will usually sits in comfortably at a prime place. well, thats anemone:lol: