bringing fish into Singapore

alcatraz01

• SRC Member

we are allow to bring in 30 fishes into Singapore, provided these fishes are not in the CITES list;

however, what is the rule regarding bringing the fish out from the other neighbouring countries?

we can share the experience starting with from (1) Indonesia, (2) Philippines, (3) Thailand, (4) Vietnam.

care to share?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • SRC Member

Hi Thomas, thanks.

According to the AVA website rules, can we say that we can safely bring in into Singapore as Personal allowance :

- 5 pc coral per person from abroad

- 5 pc sea horse per person from abroad

Has anyone has the above experience, do share the complication.

• SRC Member

Hi Bro Alcatraz, I had written to AVA at year end of 2013 on bringing fishes and corals into Singapore. And they gave me advise on a replied email, which I then followed up with a call to the official promptly. According to what I can still remember on our conversation, we can bring in marine ornament fishes and corals within 3 litres of water(packages they don't care). But that also is subjected to whether you walk in through customs, driving through customs, or flying into Singapore. If you are driving, the amount should be divided into the number of head counts in the car. If you are flying into Singapore, then you have to abide to the 100ml on board flight, unless you are saying you check in your fishes or corals with your luggage, which I don't think anyone would. I can forward you the email to you if you want. Their reply was dated on 3-Jan-2014.
In addition to your concern about bringing them out from their countries. I brought over a A2 sized Sea Fan, Clams of fist size, and bubble corals into Singapore back in 2003, from Batam. The Batam authorities don't care at all. When I scanned my items in Singapore customs at Harboufront back then, the officers took my packages high up to his eyes view point, and asked what are these, I explained humbly, and they let me passed through liao. But now, I cannot dare to say so..., as times are different mah. So I wrote in to have a some sort of evidence from AVA as a protection to myself that I'm bringing in legally.

• SRC Member

Hi Bro Dez Ching, thank you so much for your message. I was in Batam having a meal in one of the Kelong and can see many common sea horse around in the water. At that time, I was not too sure about the rule - had always thought sea horse is a CITES species. I wish I had taken one or two back then, just to have a try on common sea horse from Batam. Not too sure if custom at Batam will allow to pass.

• SRC Member

Bro Alcatraz, I used to work at Batam at 2003 for a year and more. And there were marine shops hideouts back during those days, whom they operated in households. I remembered buying a big A2 sized Red Sea Fan for merely $10! Anyway, during those days, Batam Center terminal was more stricter than others like Sekupang, or Batu Ampar. So I normally departs via Sekupang jetty. However, even though I took corals out of Batam on several occasions, those were still some 12 years ago. So on current times, I'm not sure the situation liao. You will have to try your luck. But in anyway, they also didn't really want to stop you too, they merely hope you can let them have some free coffee, if you know what I mean.

• 5 years later...
On 2/26/2015 at 2:26 PM, alcatraz01 said:

we are allow to bring in 30 fishes into Singapore, provided these fishes are not in the CITES list;

however, what is the rule regarding bringing the fish out from the other neighbouring countries?

we can share the experience starting with from (1) Indonesia, (2) Philippines, (3) Thailand, (4) Vietnam.

care to share?

what is CITES LIST? PLEASE ADVISE