New in this hobby

• SRC Member

Just to share...

Had nitrate issue once. Done what many suggested, 10% daily water change or 20%-30% weekly water change, while reduced feeding at the same time. Although fed my fish only once a day so to reduce some more meaning once every 2 days? Also done that... still nitrates can never go lower that 20ppm.

Chaeto running and growing and trimming and growing... biosphere added, biopellets running also, micro algae too... still not getting there.

But no sudden death of fish or LPS. But still.. high nitrates!! What else??

100% water change ah... but only recommended if tank crash or something more critical. So now what?

Remembered this sentence somewhere I read.... "no tank is the same.." hmmm... well... time to follow my instinct. 100% wc ahh... (not 100% really.. left just enough water for the fish to breathe).

Crossing my fingers.... praying... and more crossing and praying... thank God!!! 3 months later... all livestock survived and guess what? Nitrates FINALLY below 20ppm... its 15ppm... that is a success to me.

Then continue with weekly wc... and now nitrates is below 10ppm.

Again I repeat.. no 2 tanks are alike. So take any advice with many pinches of salt. And don't hold anyone giving the advice responsible if anything bad should happen. At the end of the day, the dicision is after all the tank's owner.

Hope you find a root cause to your problem. I did not find mine, just decided to do the big water change after all fails.

Bro, i only have one question. At the point of time where ur nitrate is high, how old is your tank? Less than six month old?

子非鱼,焉知鱼之乐... (you are not the fish so you...)

Then: my 4FT low tech selling off tank... (2006)

Now: (2014)

@Sept 2014

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bro, i only have one question. At the point of time where ur nitrate is high, how old is your tank? Less than six month old?

My tank was more than 1 yr old. Beats me. Have been doing 20% wc weekly until I lose hope. Even people have been saying, biosphere can drop nitrates from 50ppm to 0ppm in a day! Wow! My biosphere in my system for 2 months, nitrates drop from 30ppm to 20ppm... its working. But not as what i hoped.

• SRC Member

My tank was more than 1 yr old. Beats me. Have been doing 20% wc weekly until I lose hope. Even people have been saying, biosphere can drop nitrates from 50ppm to 0ppm in a day! Wow! My biosphere in my system for 2 months, nitrates drop from 30ppm to 20ppm... its working. But not as what i hoped.

Level of NO3 PO4 depends on ur feeding and the filter capacity of ur tank ah. More than a year old tank bb shall be matured liao.

@Sept 2014

Level of NO3 PO4 depends on ur feeding and the filter capacity of ur tank ah. More than a year old tank bb shall be matured liao.

Anyway, all is well now after 100% (almost laaa....) NSW water change. Maybe will be doing it again, real time soon..... just a call away.

• SRC Member

Anyway, all is well now after 100% (almost laaa....) NSW water change. Maybe will be doing it again, real time soon..... just a call away.

I am not supportive of NSW (not to mention 100% WC in non critical case) for two very simple reasons:

1) Zero LFS that uses NSW has a decent enough SPS tank. (AM use salt mix)

2) Stability is key in keeping a nice reef tank, changing 100% of water with some unknown para NSW is a risk

Having said that, it is not my tank at risk so there is only that much I can say loh... but I always welcome anyone to join the I-am-decomming-becos-all -my-LS-die club.... :superman:

@Sept 2014

• SRC Member

Let's not hijack this thread ... Our TS needs advise on saving dead fish and exactly how to acclimatize fish from good water to bad tank water,

He will need more post counts lah, else he wont have enough 100 post counts to post in pasar malam when he decomm after taking easy way out in reefing...

@Sept 2014

• SRC Member

I disagree with the statement that nsw cannot support sps.My sps may not be fantastic but its decent

da15ee6234810b202145f04e7d690e0a.jpg

With sensitive fish

96e2a7cb76e76ad2f866948466d964b9.jpg

Having said the above each have their own method and each method have their own merit

Peace yo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• SRC Member

I disagree with the statement that nsw cannot support sps.My sps may not be fantastic but its decent

With sensitive fish

Having said the above each have their own method and each method have their own merit

Peace yo

Nice Tank !!

Any tips and Media you use to maintain the tank ???

Untitled.thumb.jpg.7714ce1b06996ffb51c72

Melvin, so sorry. Ignore us babbling about 100% NSW water change. I mean no harm but just to share. PLEASE DO NOT FOLLOW.. as success story of fish and corals keeping only with saltmix...

I did not mean to hijack your thread. Back to your question on acclimatisation of fish. Can share how you normally introduce your newly bought fish to your tank?

• SRC Member

With sensitive fish

Peace yo

Peace bro. I am not saying that NSW sure cannot keep SPS (afterall SPS in the ocean are NSW), what I am saying is that all things equal, using a good salt mix offer reefers a higher change of success in reefing.

Just spend 10 mins standing in front of a* B**g DT, take a close look at their SPS.... then ask him whether he is using NSW or salt mix...

p/s: I am using him as an example becos he is not a sponsor here, If I name a sponsor DT, hor hor, we all dont need to debate liao. This thread gone in 60 seconds.

@Sept 2014

• SRC Member

Hmm.. I can share my acclimatisation process. But not here. Too debatable. Afraid my way is an easy way out, highway to decomming. You can PM me if you want to know how I acclimatise newly bought fish to my tank which previously have nitrate of no less than 20ppm.

So how you acclimatisation? Normally me juz put a small container in my main tank. Than an hr i wil release it

• SRC Member

My nsw is from the a* B**g. I have always tested and found nitrate/phosphate to be low to Zero.Why is it that it that our results vary....its time...we have each one or 2 tanks whereas they have 20 tanks to take care.

Lfs system shouldnt even be brought into this conversation as its comparing apple to pear. There are alot of people using nsw with decent home tanks

I agree stability is key changing 100% nsw is far better than letting a fish live in 100+ nitrate.

anyway thread setter we are people who are passionate about out views and believes do not be intimidated and as you can see there is more than 1 way to skin a cat :)

Regards,

Omar

Whats with the i am decomming beco all my ls die club?

Many ways to acclimatised the new fish. Easiest way for me is to put the whole bag in the DT and every 15 mins, open up the bag and put 10-15% tank water in it and tie bag. Do for a 1-2 hrs. Release and pray hard that the new fish won't get bullied.

Member of :
post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F

MASS in Facebook

Reefing in LED

So how you acclimatisation? Normally me juz put a small container in my main tank. Than an hr i wil release it

TS, I am a newbie like you. I am hoping for the senior reefers here advise you the proper acclimatisation process so I can also learn the proper way so no need to join the ls-die-club. Many ways ah...

One of the way:http://www.fishchannel.com/fish-magazines/aquarium-fish-international/july-2007/salt-qa.aspx

Another way: http://www.saltwater-aquarium-online-guide.com/saltwater-fish-acclimation.html

Google it and you will find various but similar ways.

• SRC Member

still waiting for info on how to acclimatise fish from good LFS water to bad 120 nitrate tank water.

Two things:

1) there is no such thing as good LFS water

2) you shall not add any LS to a 120 nitrate tank

@Sept 2014

• SRC Member

My nsw is from the a* B**g. I have always tested and found nitrate/phosphate to be low to Zero.Why is it that it that our results vary....its time...we have each one or 2 tanks whereas they have 20 tanks to take care.

Lfs system shouldnt even be brought into this conversation as its comparing apple to pear. There are alot of people using nsw with decent home tanks

I agree stability is key changing 100% nsw is far better than letting a fish live in 100+ nitrate.

anyway thread setter we are people who are passionate about out views and believes do not be intimidated and as you can see there is more than 1 way to skin a cat :)

Regards,

Omar

Whats with the i am decomming beco all my ls die club?

IMO, a decent LFS shall at least have time to maintain a nice DT lah. It is their full time job loh. With all the time and stuff available to them, If they cant even keep a DT properly, i seriously doubt their skill and commitment.

P/s: you will know the club when u see it.

@Sept 2014

I am not supportive of NSW (not to mention 100% WC in non critical case) for two very simple reasons:

1) Zero LFS that uses NSW has a decent enough SPS tank. (AM use salt mix)

2) Stability is key in keeping a nice reef tank, changing 100% of water with some unknown para NSW is a risk

Having said that, it is not my tank at risk so there is only that much I can say loh... but I always welcome anyone to join the I-am-decomming-becos-all -my-LS-die club.... :superman:

NSW is a risk... I wonder why corals are still thriving in the open sea with NSW. Or wait... Was there any reefer going to the ocean doing 10% WC with synthetic salt? Now im mindfucked...

• SRC Member

NSW is a risk... I wonder why corals are still thriving in the open sea with NSW. Or wait... Was there any reefer going to the ocean doing 10% WC with synthetic salt? Now im mindfucked...

a) if you tank is as big as the ocean then you can use all the NSW you want

B) there is no someone scoping and tying the NSW with his wash/ unwash hands in the ocean and transport the NSW in a truck with contact to rusty/ dirty inside

@Sept 2014