Water for big tank

• SRC Member

Hi everyone. I just got a big tank from a nice seller, However the tank is about 200+ liters. So I was wondering what would you recommend in filling it up? Tap water mix with salt? Or is there a company that does large volume of distilled water or salt water.

I know the tap water in Singapore has some amount of nitrate and chlorine.

Please advice

Few lfses provide such service, price should be below 150. Salt mix is also ok. If u cycling yr tank, don't worry on the impurities, u need them to boost algae growth and cycle yr tank.

Tank : 4 X 2 X 2 with low iron front panel and external overflow

Skimmer : BK SM200 with waste collector

Return Pumps : Red Dragon 6m3 and Ehiem 1262

FR : 2 X Deltec 509 & powered by AB2000

Nitrate Filter : Deltec NF 509 and tee off from AB2000

Calcium R'tor : Deltec PF 501 with RM secondary chamber

Kalkwasser R'tor : Deltec KM500

Chiller : Pansonic 1 HP Compressor with 20m titanium Coil

Wave Makers : 4 X Tunze 6055 with 7096 & Vortec MP40w

Controller : GHL Profilux

Lighting : ATI Powermodule 10 or 8 tubes

Water Top-up : Water Top-Up tank powered by Tunze Osmolator

External Monitor : American Pinpoint pH and Temp. Monitor for main tank and GHL Profilux Controller to measure temp, pH, Redox

Ozonizer : Sander C50

UV : Corallife 6x

Algae Scrubbler

• SRC Member

I bought from ntuc online, distilled water, LIFE brand $5.90 for 12 1L bottle(1 carton).

so for 200L u buy about 18 carton, +$10 delivery fee

$116.20 but have to mix your own salt.

for nsw you can try LFS, east side I got mine from iwarna.

• SRC Member

Hi can I check what's the the tds reading for the distilled water or those lfs supplied salt water? Because always heard reefer using ro/di water or distilled water so I am wondering if the reading for distilled water is close to ro/di?

NSW-natural sea water

LFS- local fish shop

Tap water can be used if u hav only fish only wif live rock but not recomended with corals as tap water full of heavy metals no matter how u cycle

Hope this helps

NSW-natural sea water

LFS- local fish shop

Tap water can be used if u hav only fish only wif live rock but not recomended with corals as tap water full of heavy metals no matter how u cycle

Hope this helps

For me, to fill up a big tank, its way economical to get NSW. Plus thing, its already sea water, no need further mixing of salt unless the salinity is not enough based on your needs. And with live sand and live rock, cycling is much faster.

Unless you want to have the parameters (numbers) like what was displayed on the salt container, and assuming they do give out the parameters, and don't mind spending $xxx for distilled water to fill up the whole tank, why not?

I had used both ways. Still prefer the cheaper and effective method to fill up a newly setup tank.

• SRC Member

Sorry i have no tds tester. Yea i agree, better to fill up with NSW, top up with ntuc distilled water.

if you drive, go down and buy afew packets probably less than $50.

Not sure if they do delivery. might be $100+ etc. you will have to check

• SRC Member

Whoa thanks everyone, really greatful for your help. I think I'll get the NSW as it's cheaper and I'm thinking of adding corals.

Last question.. Where can I find NSW? I've tried looking for it online but all I got was PUB sites and the waters off Singapore.

• SRC Member

Whoa thanks everyone, really greatful for your help. I think I'll get the NSW as it's cheaper and I'm thinking of adding corals.

Last question.. Where can I find NSW? I've tried looking for it online but all I got was PUB sites and the waters off Singapore.

Where you stay btw ?

Untitled.thumb.jpg.7714ce1b06996ffb51c72

• SRC Member

Hey everybody, just an update. Got my water from iwarna. Decided to get distilled water as I have left over salt from my previous tank. Still have heeps of salt left. Tank is going well so far, just started cycling it.

• 10 months later...
  • 6 months later...