A drop of ocean in my living room

M&M

• SRC Member

Got my first Marine tank at the end of last year, a 14L rainbow tank. Being foolish I was too impatient to wait for the water to cycle fully. So I added 2 clowns, 1 wrasse (not sure what species), 1 bicolour dottyback, 1 fireshrimp and 1 hermit crab.

A few months into the tank,Algae started growing like nobody's business and the Nitrate was crazy high. Fishes started dying 2 months in starting with the wrasse which jump out, followed by the dottyback.

Surprisingly the clowns and invertebrates survived.

Desperate for a answer. I found out that the tank was not cycled properly (dur) and a small tank is hard to maintain. So I decided to decommission the tank and got a new tank. The tank is now a freshwater tetra tank.

• SRC Member

My second tank was a 32L skimz tank. This time I cycled the tank completely and transferred all my surviving creatures over, the 2 clown, 1 fireshrimp and 1 hermit crab before I decommissioned the 1st tank.

• SRC Member

Besides the 2 clowns and the 2 invertebrates. I added 2 coral (flower pot coral and a star burst polyp) two weeks after the cycling was completed and 4 chromis and 1 yellow watchman goby and 2 tube worms. However, the clowns was being cheeky and kept disturbing the flower pot till it was showing signs of stress. So I got a long tentacle anemone got them... And annoyingly they didn't use it. Instead both clown had ich and died -_-

post-24742-0-82857600-1428920697_thumb.j

• SRC Member

Besides the 2 clowns and the 2 invertebrates. I added 2 coral (flower pot coral and a star burst polyp) two weeks after the cycling was completed and 4 chromis and 1 yellow watchman goby and 2 tube worms. However, the clowns was being cheeky and kept disturbing the flower pot till it was showing signs of stress. So I got a long tentacle anemone got them... And annoyingly they didn't use it. Instead both clown had ich and died -_-

bro, clowns r rough to the corals they host. my bubble coral used to open up very nicely until they started hosting it=(

My second tank was a 32L skimz tank. This time I cycled the tank completely and transferred all my surviving creatures over, the 2 clown, 1 fireshrimp and 1 hermit crab before I decommissioned the 1st tank.

Keep the updates coming :-)

• SRC Member

Continue....

So after my clowns were gone, all I had were 4 chromis and the invertebrates and corals. But at the same time I found a really great deal for a 200+L tank with a chiller... So I bought it.

• SRC Member

Got purified water, mix salt, new live sand and rocks and started cycling the water.

To start of the cycling, I added bacteria tablets, a dead prawn and half of my bio balls from my 32L tank. In all it took 3 weeks for the whole cycle to complete. So I added my 4 chromis and left them there for a week just to be sure. And they survived =)

post-24742-0-71909400-1429269478_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...

Waiting to see ur current fts.

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

Chiller : Dalkin 1hp compressor with build-in drop coil.

Skimmer : Skimz Octa SC205i Protein Skimmer.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

CR : Skimz Monzter E Series CM122 Calcium Reactor.

BPR: Marine Source Biopellet  Reactor with Continuum Reef Biopellet Fuel. 

Main Return Pump : SICCE Syncra ADV 9.0 & Jebao ACQ-10000 Water Pump.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Water Top Up: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite.