sheng siong abalone and shellfish

ml708

• SRC Member

but y u want to keep abalone? izzit to keep till CNY then will be big enough to eat?

Haha no la, I just like the way they look! I already have several large cowries, abalones and sea hares that eat stuff off my liverock.

• SRC Member

They don't work well in reef tanks. People have tried.

Yeah I know. When I first got my 4 abalones, one died within a week. The rest have been doing well in my tank for some months now though

• SRC Member

I wanted to pick some a few oysters from Sheng Siong last time but had dropped the idea. Not to cultivate pearl or for human consumption, but more for "LIVE" filtration in my sump tank. I guess they prefers algae diet than food waste..

• SRC Member

I wanted to pick some a few oysters from Sheng Siong last time but had dropped the idea. Not to cultivate pearl or for human consumption, but more for "LIVE" filtration in my sump tank. I guess they prefers algae diet than food waste..

Good idea to also check if they are temperate oysters.

• 4 months later...
  • SRC Member

what do you feed the 

Yeah I know. When I first got my 4 abalones, one died within a week. The rest have been doing well in my tank for some months now though

what do you feed them with? i saw quite huge variety of clams at punggol sheng siong which tempted me especially oysters but drop it as i have no idea what to feed them.

• 3 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Oysters and clams are filter filters. Their diet are mostly phytoplankton and microalgae (isochrysis). Commercial food like Phyto-Feast from Reef Nutrition, and others does contain the food required. Normal marine tank may not be able to keep them well fed..

• 3 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Oysters and clams are filter filters. Their diet are mostly phytoplankton and microalgae (isochrysis). Commercial food like Phyto-Feast from Reef Nutrition, and others does contain the food required. Normal marine tank may not be able to keep them well fed..

Thanks for the great info