Soft coral ID and help

Dez Ching

• SRC Member

Hi guys, I have this soft coral that I have added 3 weeks ago to my 4feet. I noticed that it has since been shrinking and shrinking in size. Sometimes under my MH light, all other LPS corals ie bubble, octopus, elegance, GSP, yellow polyps, zoas are thriving and expands so largely, but only this I-don't-know-it's-name soft corals shrunk until macam crushed wet tissue paper! I noticed too that when the MH light shuts off at 7pm, and the actinic blue came in, it starts to grow and stands back up! But as time goes by, even though it grows back up, it has never extend to when I first bought it!

I'm thinking that it might be my MH light that it's sensitive about, any one has other opinions on it? Because I was then using LEDs. Any brothers or sister here who keeps it have such soft corals that is thriving? I really like it when it's standing tall, so really keen to learn the secret to keep it strong and make it thrive. Please guide me guys. Thank you in advance.

post-24634-0-23246400-1429356740_thumb.j

• SRC Supporter

I've not kept this but was told by Iwarna boss that this coral needs very low lighting. Keep it in the shade. It is not photo synthetic & needs to be fed with filter feeder type food (eg. Phytoplankton, marine snow etc. )

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/mysliceofnature/

• SRC Member

Hi Bro Leon, thank you for your advise. Really needed that. No wonder I find how come when every other corals are thriving, it is diminishing its glory. Now after you enlighten, my gloomy sky for it has brighten! Will make changes to it immediately!

• SRC Member

Hi Bro Leon, still the symptoms of crumpling persists after changed its position to a less light less flow area. The rest of the corals are all large and enormous. I think, there must be certain criteria which I haven't got it right, that's why it's not standing tall, and long enough during the day. Hmm..., I wonder what conditions I have to make and adjust. Anyone has any clues or experienced before to share as well?

• SRC Member

Hi Bro Andtsg, do you mean that it could be "hungry"?

Ok, I will try feeding it when it expand during the night.

If feed during day time expansion also ok, right?

Do you also mean that after feeding it, it might expand fuller? And that this might be the possible reason for its symptoms of crumpling during the day time? Really need help on this one, coz it's rather beautiful actually, and will be a pity if I can't make it bloom to its best.

Less flow less light... But still like this... *sigh*

Anyone can advise?

Bro, I had the same trouble too. I think mine might just die and melt away, since it has also been crumply, more worst than yours. Anyone out there can help on this?