Fluval Edge 12 gallon tank

haroldfock

I was very happy with my last tank but for Fengshui reasons had to shift the tank next to the sofa. I have Fengshui a pinch of salt (bad pun in saltwater aquarium forum) but I had to comply. My first choice was the Nuvo 10 nano tank but I could not make it in time for the fortune hour. So I picked the Fluval Edge and converted to a marine tank. I know all the disadvantages of the small opening but I needed a small enclosure. I made the mistake of filling it to the brim to create the infinity pool effect but there was not enough areation and my yellow tank and one half colored fish (can't remember the name) died. One cleaner prawns crawled into the Vortex wavemaker and had its tail minced. One disappeared and was probably torn to shreds by the fire prawns. And then I realized the live rock can't squeeze into the tank small opening. I packed the big piece live rock under a cardboard and ran my car over it and the pieces worked out fine!!! I am now figuring a way to squeeze a skimmer inside. The Tunze 9004 is a tad too big. The plus thing is all the ugly tubes, cables and wires are all hidden in a black spine structure. I removed the Aquaclear 20 hangon filter. The submerged tunze filters now look like underwater speakers.

I had a close call last night. My favorite two clown fishes were dying in the morning but I had to leave to do some errand. I was expecting the toilet flush burial when I got back. To my surprise, both clowns were still alive but barely. I decided to give the tank a CPR blast of tidal wave and bubbles. And the clown came back alive. It is the best joyous occasion in my short fish keeping journey. That is why the tank is not full. Maybe with a skimmer then I can top up the water. But I don't want to risk my two favorite clowns.

post-22977-0-47415800-1433145627_thumb.j

With the hood on to hide the mess of water tech. Notice it does not close property because of the thickness of Micmol Cree lights. The second photo shows the black spinal column hiding all the wires and chiller tubes. I can probably rely on a single tunze filter but let the new tank cycle first. The IKEA console side table is perfect. There is a drawer for all the plugs. And the bottom can hide the chiller and yet permits ventilation for the chiller.

post-22977-0-19683000-1433149670_thumb.j

post-22977-0-49431400-1433149683_thumb.j

Wow, running ur car over ur lr. The things we all do for reefing!! Lol

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

Chiller : Dalkin 1hp compressor with build-in drop coil.

Skimmer : Skimz Octa SC205i Protein Skimmer.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

CR : Skimz Monzter E Series CM122 Calcium Reactor.

BPR: Marine Source Biopellet  Reactor with Continuum Reef Biopellet Fuel. 

Main Return Pump : SICCE Syncra ADV 9.0 & Jebao ACQ-10000 Water Pump.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Water Top Up: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite.

It is sold in IKEA as Nodli or close to it. For some strange reasons, it is not listed on the online catalogue in Singapore but I think they still have stock. The drawer is perfect to place all your plugs. If you take out the inner horizontal board, you can place it at the side to hide the chiller. It is almost perfect. If only there is a bit more space for all the food, calipers, feeding tube and test kits. You can but I don't want to put damp stuff above the electric sockets inside the drawer. The set even has a rubber tube to hide the cabling.

Caveat. I don't know how much weight this table can sustain ;) I used a Miccke (wrong spelling) side console previously which fit the old 1.5 ft tank perfectly but I can't hide the chiller unless I do some carpentry work. This is just perfect. 50cm by 30cm. For nano tank obviously.

post-22977-0-95754600-1433401997_thumb.j

post-22977-0-81753800-1433402014_thumb.j

post-22977-0-28673800-1433402029_thumb.j

post-22977-0-32215000-1433402045_thumb.j

nice table, but do take note that the table top might bend in after sometime as most Ikea wood are condesnesd wood dust. just take note.

Current Tank(s) :

2 x 1 x 1 mixed reef tank

What in my mind now (future tanks)

4 x 2.5 x 1.5 low profile coral tank

3 x 2.5 x 1.5 low profile reef tank

Decommissioned Tanks :

2 ft seahorse tank back in the 1990s'

2.5 ft cube mixed reef tank in 2007 to 2008

JBJ 28g Tank . Maxspect G1 110W + 12W DIY LED . Tunze 9002 Skimmer . Vortech MP10w ES . SPS only Tank . Picasso Clown Fish (2009 to 2011)

2 x 1 x 1 puffer-fishes, box-fishes & Frog-fish tank (2015)

Chiller is Arctica. I think I am the third owner. Noiseless. I sent it for servicing and the repairman uncle told me it is still good for years to come. Love it. It is the smallest in the series.

Thanks for the reminder on IKEA wood. No delusion of its longevity. Will custom make a better stand someday. But it won't be as cheap as 100 plus ;)

Chiller is Arctica. I think I am the third owner. Noiseless. I sent it for servicing and the repairman uncle told me it is still good for years to come. Love it. It is the smallest in the series.

Thanks for the reminder on IKEA wood. No delusion of its longevity. Will custom make a better stand someday. But it won't be as cheap as 100 plus ;)

Dear all, can identify what is this piggybacker in the tank? I think it is hitting the tank once a while. A pistol shrimp?

Mantis shrimp . Remove it ... Dangerous

This is a signature : hi

It is sold in IKEA as Nodli or close to it. For some strange reasons, it is not listed on the online catalogue in Singapore but I think they still have stock. The drawer is perfect to place all your plugs. If you take out the inner horizontal board, you can place it at the side to hide the chiller. It is almost perfect. If only there is a bit more space for all the food, calipers, feeding tube and test kits. You can but I don't want to put damp stuff above the electric sockets inside the drawer. The set even has a rubber tube to hide the cabling.

Caveat. I don't know how much weight this table can sustain ;) I used a Miccke (wrong spelling) side console previously which fit the old 1.5 ft tank perfectly but I can't hide the chiller unless I do some carpentry work. This is just perfect. 50cm by 30cm. For nano tank obviously.

Which IKEA hahaha

This is a signature : hi

Dear all, can identify what is this piggybacker in the tank? I think it is hitting the tank once a while. A pistol shrimp?

This baby is reputed to be able to break the tank glass. and also nicknamed "thumb splitters" for a reason.

Pls handle with care.

How is the heat coming from this chiller? what is the hp for this model? you mention that you place it beside the sofa, is it hot?

I did my own trap. Failed. Bought a proper trap from a LFS. Put mysis shrimps inside. When submerging the trap, the knob came off and all the shrimps came out. Another meal time for everyone. The short answer is no. Haiz ;)

• SRC Member

Bro saw some video at youtube - some of them used a bottle to trap it. .

Good luck! you might want to turn off the light...

Display Tank: 3x2x2 feet (12mm Crystal Glass)

Sump Tank: 2.5 feet with 4 compartments

"Reef Maniac - Ninja: Fish and Coral don't wait for you!"

Use those chicken essence glass bottle. Put some food in it and place trap near its hideout and wait for the catch to go in. Place the bottle in a slightly slant position. It works in catching crabs not so sure abt mantis shrimp. U can give it a try.

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

Chiller : Dalkin 1hp compressor with build-in drop coil.

Skimmer : Skimz Octa SC205i Protein Skimmer.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

CR : Skimz Monzter E Series CM122 Calcium Reactor.

BPR: Marine Source Biopellet  Reactor with Continuum Reef Biopellet Fuel. 

Main Return Pump : SICCE Syncra ADV 9.0 & Jebao ACQ-10000 Water Pump.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Water Top Up: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite.

Its really ironic that hitch-hiker pest can be so hardy as to stay alive despite being kept in environment without food, while pretty specimens that we want to keep, are mostly so fragile. I read that people actually sun their live rocks and do freshwater soak, yet still cannot completely rid of hitch hikers.

Its really ironic that hitch-hiker pest can be so hardy as to stay alive despite being kept in environment without food, while pretty specimens that we want to keep, are mostly so fragile. I read that people actually sun their live rocks and do freshwater soak, yet still cannot completely rid of hitch hikers.

This is why I've quite made up my mind to use artificial ceramic rock for my next set up, though the cycling process will take longer due to the absence of existing bacteria found in live rocks, but you will have 100% peace of mind that your tank will be clear of pests. Heard from Iwarna Uncle that the artificial rocks are made to be more porous so that we can house more bacteria. Bros can consider this if you are setting up a new tank! :)