Has SPS PE got to do with KH Level ??

Hi folks !

Ever wonder if SPS PE ( polyp extension ) has anything to do with KH level ??

I have been tracking the relationship between the two and the data seems to point towards good PE happens at dkh level of 8.5.

Do share you observation and views here :)

Treat others the way you wanna be treated...

• SRC Supporter

Hi bro,

i have been wondering as well.

i use to have KH hovering around 7-8. PE was as per normal.

few months back my kh was about 9-10 and afew reefers commented that my SPS PE was very good(hairy).

so i personally feel higher kh does make it more "hairy". in my opinion. lol

[ ]

[ ]

Reef Reefing Reefed

Thanks for the contributions guys ! :thumbsup:

There are in fact many varying observations on this relationship between PE and KH. So the more observations we shared here the better understanding for us on this topic :cheers:

My tank's dkh level is in the 6.5 to 7.5 range and most of my Acroporas have full polyp extension night and day. I believe it's due to my Zeovit/ Fauna Marin system coupled with coral feeding.

Same observations as honkit. I keep my kh Ard 6.8 to 7.3....Maybe the margin is too small to notice any difference. Pe is equal throughout. I attribute Alot of pe to zeovit cv.

I Love Stagsss

My KH is kept between 8 - 9, but there was once when i notice that my SPS is not opening up as before, i realize that my c02 was used up without knowing and my KH dropped to 7.

I have noticed KH and PO4 is linked to SPS PE extension, not just KH alone.

I had PO4 at 0.06ppm to 0.1ppm, my KH needs to be above 8.5 for better PE, perhaps even higher but I've never gone there.

Now with PO4 around 0 - 0.02ppm, it needs to be below 8. I am at 7.8dKH, perhaps the 7 - 7.5dKH range but I am lazy.

I may be completely wrong though.

Materialism :- He who dies with the most toys, wins.

• Moderators

I have noticed KH and PO4 is linked to SPS PE extension, not just KH alone.

I had PO4 at 0.06ppm to 0.1ppm, my KH needs to be above 8.5 for better PE, perhaps even higher but I've never gone there.

Now with PO4 around 0 - 0.02ppm, it needs to be below 8. I am at 7.8dKH, perhaps the 7 - 7.5dKH range but I am lazy.

I may be completely wrong though.

Hmmmm.. something for us to ponder as well on PO4.

There might be some case.

Nothing wrong with the input.. We are all still learning after decades...

As i'm also using zeovit, the PE for me can be a bit skewed.

But seem like everything does point to KH below 8 equal less PE.

Tom

A bit bit off topic sorry but Thomas may I ask what dkh are u maintaining now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Resser brought out an interesting observation with regards to PO4 versus PE :thumbsup:

Actually I tend to believe PO4 could have a high correlation with PE. The rational goes like high PO4 induce high level of zooxanthaleas which in turns provide a much high nutrient input to the host SPS thus reducing the need ( motivation ) for the host SPS's willingness to capture good directly.

Resser brought out an interesting observation with regards to PO4 versus PE :thumbsup:

Actually I tend to believe PO4 could have a high correlation with PE. The rational goes like high PO4 induce high level of zooxanthaleas which in turns provide a much high nutrient input to the host SPS thus reducing the need ( motivation ) for the host SPS's willingness to capture good directly.

I noticed that when I buy a dark chocolate colored acro colony from a Lfs. Just purely want to see what it will become. A few months in my tank there is totally no PE at all it was only recently I realize the dark chocolate color is gone. Greenish with a slight tinge of red i see some PE although it's still consider brown

I noticed that when I buy a dark chocolate colored acro colony from a Lfs. Just purely want to see what it will become. A few months in my tank there is totally no PE at all it was only recently I realize the dark chocolate color is gone. Greenish with a slight tinge of red i see some PE although it's still consider brown

HI Patrick. Thanks for sharing :thumbsup:

This observation of yours seem to point to the fact that Brown SPS don't have too much PE, which may fits the below rational :

Brown SPS indicates a fairly large amount of the symbiotic zooxanthellea exist in the host coral and is providing the nutrient level which the host coral needs to survive. As a result of such nutrient input, the host corals do not have the incentive to activate it's catching activity ...hence resulting in low or little PE :)

Hope to have more such observations so as to be able to validate such relationship between the zooxanthellea and PE. :)

• SRC Supporter

Very informative thread ! I just started trying out sps.

What are some of the tips to improve polyp extensions?

some people believe on feeding them coral food like reef roids or oyster feast.

[ ]

[ ]

Reef Reefing Reefed

Very informative thread ! I just started trying out sps.

What are some of the tips to improve polyp extensions?

Hi Bro,

From experience, the following factors are some of the essential factors to a good SPS polyp extension :

1. Maintaining your tank water parameters at reasonable level i.e. Sg / Kh / Ca / Mg at normal level

2. Keep your nutrient level low ( no need to be ultra low )

3. Free of pest such as AEFW, Red Bugs, acro eating crabs etc

4. Not excessive lighting levels ( especially acros that are deep water region will suffer from lighting shock and their PE will shrink significantly )

5. Water temperature preferable between 26-29

6. There are no presence of alien chemicals and / or overdose of trace elements which becomes toxicity for the SPSs.

Am pretty sure if the above factors are obtained, the SPS would naturally be happy to have a great PE :)

• Moderators

Hi Bro,

From experience, the following factors are some of the essential factors to a good SPS polyp extension :

1. Maintaining your tank water parameters at reasonable level i.e. Sg / Kh / Ca / Mg at normal level

2. Keep your nutrient level low ( no need to be ultra low )

3. Free of pest such as AEFW, Red Bugs, acro eating crabs etc

4. Not excessive lighting levels ( especially acros that are deep water region will suffer from lighting shock and their PE will shrink significantly )

5. Water temperature preferable between 26-29

6. There are no presence of alien chemicals and / or overdose of trace elements which becomes toxicity for the SPSs.

Am pretty sure if the above factors are obtained, the SPS would naturally be happy to have a great PE :)

Can't agree more. Esp point 2. Some people are paranoid over this and goes to extreme measure to maintain zero nutrient which IMO doesn't need to be as well.

SPS will still tolerate a low level. :thumbsup:

Tom

Can't agree more. Esp point 2. Some people are paranoid over this and goes to extreme measure to maintain zero nutrient which IMO doesn't need to be as well.

SPS will still tolerate a low level. :thumbsup:

Personally I don't like this thing call ULNS, those SPS color looks too pale and unhealthy ( as if it's malnutrition ). I prefer a system which has a slight elevated level of nutrient and the SPS looks healthier, richer in color tone.

The point here is about this key word call BALANCE. The ultimate art and skill of a sps reefer imo is being able to control his system such that the nutrient level is just about right to reveal the rich coloration of his SPS without sacrificing their long term health :)

Personally I don't like this thing call ULNS, those SPS color looks too pale and unhealthy ( as if it's malnutrition ). I prefer a system which has a slight elevated level of nutrient and the SPS looks healthier, richer in color tone.

The point here is about this key word call BALANCE. The ultimate art and skill of a sps reefer imo is being able to control his system such that the nutrient level is just about right to reveal the rich coloration of his SPS without sacrificing their long term health :)

I agree with you on the pale color and unhealthy.

The whole idea behind "ULNS" is to strip off nutrient first then dose back in a controlled way. This way it's to bring the color of the sps back. Which is what I like but I definitely hate the pale out stage which makes the corals look very weak but I'm willing to accept that to enjoy the deep colors later.