The Hunt for Brown October (ok.. mantis shrimp)

haroldfock

The title is just for fun but removing the mantis shrimp has been painful and without success. Thanks to the reefers here who adviced me to get rid of two Mantis shrimp piggybacker, I decided to take action.

First I did the inverted water trap. Failed. I bought this trap from a LFS. (See picture.) Tried it in the tank. Failed. Thankfully I saw the live rock in which the shrimp was residing. I took the rock out and placed the trap in it with food. (See picture) Failed. This morning, after reading some articles, I tried to put cold freshwater. Failed. Poured non-sweet carbonated water. Failed. My last resort is to pour away the water and leave some puddle of water inside the pail. When the live rock loses moisture, the shrimp will come up and hunt for the puddle to keep it alive. So the theory goes.

Of course I thought of pouring boiling water into the live rock or smashing the rock to hunt for it. But these are too drastic an action.

This is my greatest fear - while lifting the live rock out, the mantis shrimp swam away from the hole and is now laughing at me from the tank. Like a scene from Alien 1,2,3 and 4. Maybe Sigourney Weaver with her blowtorch gun might help haha.

Any better solution?

Thanks!!!

Harry F.

post-22977-0-88120900-1434259052_thumb.p

post-22977-0-97754700-1434259125_thumb.j

• SRC Member

If I were you, I will just make it as dead rock. Bleach it and sun dried it.

Unless you patience enough to let them fall to your trap.

Cheers!

• Like 1

Display Tank: 3x2x2 feet (12mm Crystal Glass)

Sump Tank: 2.5 feet with 4 compartments

"Reef Maniac - Ninja: Fish and Coral don't wait for you!"

Yeah. Just like in the movie Alien vs Predator. The ending is always a nuke to clear all pests in the area.

But i guess haroldfock bro prefers the Arnold's Terminator method. One on one... Lol

If I were you, I will just make it as dead rock. Bleach it and sun dried it.

Unless you patience enough to let them fall to your trap.

Cheers!

You guys are right. I poured 6 cans of soda water. One came out and died. The other is still inside the rocks or escaped while I lifted the rock out of the sand. I know I can leave it in the sun, cure it and put it back. But I hate the idea of a hibernating alien. And the rocks started to smell after the soda water soaking. Had to throw the rocks.

If I hear knocking on the glass tonight. It means Alien 2!!!!

By the way is there any shop that sells live rocks with no monster? I know can't guarantee but minimal chance or it is too good to be true?

Boy I am exhausted doing this pest removal.

post-22977-0-75642200-1434282288_thumb.j

post-22977-0-15408500-1434282378_thumb.j

• SRC Member

Hahaha.. You won! Congratz bro!

Hmm my experience with Iwarna Live Rock so far is good.. Recently bought another almost 30kg of rocks, so far so good also. But as what you said - no guarantee bro..

You want pest free must go buy died rock or artificial rock such as aquaroche.. But burning the pocket hole as well.

Cheers!

Display Tank: 3x2x2 feet (12mm Crystal Glass)

Sump Tank: 2.5 feet with 4 compartments

"Reef Maniac - Ninja: Fish and Coral don't wait for you!"