A guide to Xiggie's reef tank

xiggie

Calcium Reactor , 

how I tune it without a ph probe or a co2 solonoid.

(caution it may work for me , but it may not work for you )

Firstly do test to confirm that your tank really needs a CR. Do checks to see if your kh is dropping at a fast rate daily , if your kh doesn't drop fast then you don't need a CR

To start I set the drip rate to 50ml per minute. Then Set the co2 to 1 bubble per second , let the CR run for few hours (longer better) then test the KH of the effluent. Kh of effluent should read higher that the tank water , meaning the CR media is burning.

The kh of the effluent will vary according to the bubble rate and drip rate. So I just need to confirm at what  effluent kh value I need for my tanks consumption. 

For example my tank needs an effluent kh of 12 at drip rate of 60ml per minute to maintain a kh value of 7 in the tank. Different tank will require different values all according to corals consumption. 

Daily checks of kh value of tank water is a must while tuning the CR to the desired and ideal setting.

the tricky part is adjusting the drip rate to the bubble rate to match your tank consumption , same as when using a cr with solonoid and ph probe but once you get the sweet spot , all is well. 

I've overshot tank kh value to above 10 when tuning the CR and lost some weak acro frags but observed that healthy n strong Sps can and will survive kh fluaction. 

Now after the cr is tuned all is running auto and well , except mg. 

If your are running a CR , I would recomend getting some magnesium media in to the reactor , this helps a lot , eventho the normal cr media has mg on them , they are just not enough especially if you are having algae problem ... Coraline algae ..

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by xiggie

Stairway to Heaven

Thanks for sharing, bro. This will help newbie if they need to use one.

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

Chiller : Dalkin 1hp compressor with build-in drop coil.

Skimmer : Skimz Octa SC205i Protein Skimmer.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

CR : Skimz Monzter E Series CM122 Calcium Reactor.

BPR: Marine Source Biopellet  Reactor with Continuum Reef Biopellet Fuel. 

Main Return Pump : SICCE Syncra ADV 9.0 & Jebao ACQ-10000 Water Pump.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Water Top Up: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite.

Please let the Linckia live a long time :)

yea , hope this guy lives long , heard they don't really do well in captivity due to their diet . Had him for a couple of months already actually .

Edited by xiggie

Stairway to Heaven

• 3 weeks later...

Salvaged a long forgotten acro from the back of the tank , thought it died ,  it actually did die but then grew back I guess . It's out in front now ,hope it do well . 

image.jpg

Looks like a tricolor valida.

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

Chiller : Dalkin 1hp compressor with build-in drop coil.

Skimmer : Skimz Octa SC205i Protein Skimmer.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

CR : Skimz Monzter E Series CM122 Calcium Reactor.

BPR: Marine Source Biopellet  Reactor with Continuum Reef Biopellet Fuel. 

Main Return Pump : SICCE Syncra ADV 9.0 & Jebao ACQ-10000 Water Pump.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Water Top Up: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite.

Looks like a tricolor valida.

yes , it looks like a valida , tricolour hopefully .. This is a brown out frag I got from sherilyn91 quite some time ago , left it at the back cos no space and forgot about it , really hope it will grow well.

Stairway to Heaven

Bro .. your tank is getting even more amazing than the last time I saw it when collecting the CR .. great work!!!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Thanks !!! the tank is still the same , i do get Sps stn and Rtn . I guess when it's time for them to go ... Its time for them to go ...more space for some new corals .. 

Stairway to Heaven

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...