Mixing different brands of salt mix

• SRC Member

Any reefers mix different brands of salt mix for water change? The reason being salt mix A has high KH, low CA but salt mix B has low KH and high CA? By mixing it can "balance" the parameters. Is it advisable to do it for a sps tank?

• SRC Member

For SPS, stability is key. You may not be able to guarantee 100% accurate mixing with every single water change. Fluctuations in parameters with each water change may be detrimental to your SPS. It's better to keep parameters stable by choosing a good salt with little to no batch issues, then using a calcium reactor or dosing pump to supplement what the salt lacks.

Totally agree with Illumnae. Additionally my personal feel is that a mixing 2 salt brand together is a lot of hassle too with no added benefit. Personal experience is that salt brand B cheaper but have very solid printed specs as compared to brand A however, brand B parameters drops faster. I'm not sure if it's because the more brand A are so solid that my sps find them delicious and start having better appetite or simply because there wasn't enough buffer in it. So yes a good salt is very important.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk