coralline algae

edmund_23

• SRC Member

I have a question on coraline algae. What condition will coralline algae grow? Does light affect the growth? Im been reefing for 7mth.. Start with 1 pc of LR with full Coralline algae and a few dead rocks. But after 7mth, my LR coralline algae fade off to less than 50% and dead rocks didnt grow any coralline algae. My light is a 16w led with 29 white led and 4 blue led. Cal reading 420. Anythings i need to look out for? Thanks in advance.

• SRC Member

Ohh.. Coz my beamworks light only have 4 blue led and it only 0.5w per led.. So its only 2w.. My tank is a 40x40x40 nano tank. Do you think the light is good enough? I planning on a par38 18x3w led..

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Beamwork LED is rather basic. There is a reefer around who uses beamwork for his frag tank which he hung. it's enough for softies I believe but more light demanding corals may not like it.

It's good to supplement with par38 to give a visual balance.

Give it some time and proper water quality and coralline algae should start to take off

• Like 1

• SRC Member
Beamwork LED is rather basic. There is a reefer around who uses beamwork for his frag tank which he hung. it's enough for softies I believe but more light demanding corals may not like it.

It's good to supplement with par38 to give a visual balance.

Give it some time and proper water quality and coralline algae should start to take off

Thanks bro for the advice.. I manage to find a shop to customise a 18x3w par38 led for me.. But i not sure on the colours and how many leds per colours. Any idea?

Thanks bro for the advice.. I manage to find a shop to customise a 18x3w par38 led for me.. But i not sure on the colours and how many leds per colours. Any idea?

Im afraid I'm unable to comment on the colour spectrum of the custom LEDs. Most tend to have more blue and deep blue as it offers a more aesthetically pleasing look for the human eye.

I ran a search on google and found several articles which might be of interest.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2015/4/corals

Hope this helps

• SRC Member

Im afraid I'm unable to comment on the colour spectrum of the custom LEDs. Most tend to have more blue and deep blue as it offers a more aesthetically pleasing look for the human eye.

I ran a search on google and found several articles which might be of interest.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2015/4/corals

Hope this helps

It a great website with helpful info.. Need to spend sometimes to digest liao.. Thanks..

• Like 1

• SRC Member

I have had good success with coraline algae for some strange reason despite using only a normal 16 watt T5 white fluorescent light. My tank is 2ft though, so perhaps the higher wattage per gallon helps? I started my tank with 10 kg live rock from a fellow hobbyist and my rocks started turning red within 3 weeks. Now 3 months later 3 pieces are totally red while the rest have small patches of red here and there. I also added small pieces of coraline encrusted rocks later on but it doesn't seem to affect the growth rate.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

• SRC Member

Another thing that I did which I think most bros here will think I'm crazy... I topped up my water for the first few weeks with water from my freshwater tank... Which has some nitrates. Maybe that helped too?? After all, most algae require nitrates and phosphates to flourish

• SRC Member

I have a question on coraline algae. What condition will coralline algae grow? Does light affect the growth? Im been reefing for 7mth.. Start with 1 pc of LR with full Coralline algae and a few dead rocks. But after 7mth, my LR coralline algae fade off to less than 50% and dead rocks didnt grow any coralline algae. My light is a 16w led with 29 white led and 4 blue led. Cal reading 420. Anythings i need to look out for? Thanks in advance.

hi bro, my tank is about 5 months old, and it does have coraline algae esp in my sump. what i did is to make sure that my corals where doing well first,( at that time LPS) so i had to make sure my water perimeters were good, and after all my livestock where doing well,( low nutrient, good KH,CAL,MG ) Then i started to see coraline algae. so what i advise you to do is that you should first take care of your water perimeters, try not to add too much fishes and see that your corals are doing well

• SRC Member

I have had good success with coraline algae for some strange reason despite using only a normal 16 watt T5 white fluorescent light. My tank is 2ft though, so perhaps the higher wattage per gallon helps? I started my tank with 10 kg live rock from a fellow hobbyist and my rocks started turning red within 3 weeks. Now 3 months later 3 pieces are totally red while the rest have small patches of red here and there. I also added small pieces of coraline encrusted rocks later on but it doesn't seem to affect the growth rate.

hi bro ,

i took a look at ur tank thread, and i dont see much coraline algae, if its red, it most likely is red hair algea(caynobacteria)

• SRC Member
hi bro, my tank is about 5 months old, and it does have coraline algae esp in my sump. what i did is to make sure that my corals where doing well first,( at that time LPS) so i had to make sure my water perimeters were good, and after all my livestock where doing well,( low nutrient, good KH,CAL,MG ) Then i started to see coraline algae. so what i advise you to do is that you should first take care of your water perimeters, try not to add too much fishes and see that your corals are doing well

Hi bro, i did a water check. All in limits only kh abit high due to dosing of purple up.. I suspect is my light.. No strong enough ba..

• SRC Member

hi bro ,

i took a look at ur tank thread, and i dont see much coraline algae, if its red, it most likely is red hair algea(caynobacteria)

OMG.... serious?! If you don't mind could you help me ID it? i'll post a close up picture of one of the rocks tomorrow... If it is cyano then i'm in deep trouble. :(

• SRC Member

A reefer once shared with me his experience of seeding coralline algae. He took a few pieces of small live rocks encrusted with coralline algae and smash it into smaller pieces. Then sprinkle around the tank which in turn "seeds" other rocks.

I have not tried this method before but would like to try when I visit LF shops some times.

• SRC Member

Yup this works. Personally what I did was get some coralline scrapings(don't need rock), put them in a small container, add a few droplets of water & mash the whole thing up until I got a purple paste. Then just pour into tank & let the flow do the rest. 

Starting to to see spots of coralline on my glass & base rock 3 wks after that

• Like 1

• SRC Member

OMG.... serious?! If you don't mind could you help me ID it? i'll post a close up picture of one of the rocks tomorrow... If it is cyano then i'm in deep trouble. :(

hey, let me jump in to just share, if I'm not wrong can ID cyano via touch or how attached it is to the rock.

Touch - if it's slimy or soft, cyano. Coralline is hard to the touch.

how attached it is - if you rub it & it comes off, cyano. Coralline must scrap then can come off.. Some pple also use turkey basher to blast, if it comes of easily, cyano.

hope this helps...

• Like 1

• SRC Member

hey, let me jump in to just share, if I'm not wrong can ID cyano via touch or how attached it is to the rock.

Touch - if it's slimy or soft, cyano. Coralline is hard to the touch.

how attached it is - if you rub it & it comes off, cyano. Coralline must scrap then can come off.. Some pple also use turkey basher to blast, if it comes of easily, cyano.

hope this helps...

Hi bro Truepercula and bro JMW, thanks for the tips. i tried messing around with it as suggested... it doesn't really feel slimy and it's doesn't "rub off" after i rubbed it with my finger. So does that means it's confirmed coralline? Or maybe its something else lol

DSC_2307_zpseee41ivr.jpg

PS: I confirmed kena cyano on my sand, brown slimy and stringy stuff all over. I think the light from my makeshift refugium is escaping and helping these buggers grow. Lucky my hermit seems to be sifting the sand a bit. 

Edited by tuajia

• SRC Member

Yup this works. Personally what I did was get some coralline scrapings(don't need rock), put them in a small container, add a few droplets of water & mash the whole thing up until I got a purple paste. Then just pour into tank & let the flow do the rest. 

Starting to to see spots of coralline on my glass & base rock 3 wks after that

I personally tried this and it works too. To add on, try to find a good healthy sample of coraline to help seed your tank. meaning to say, if your friend has coraline but it don't really grow much, don't use that sample. Find someone whose coraline sample is growing strong or forming the blade structures.

Also keep MG above 1400. it helps.

---------------------------------------------

The Deep Blue Sea in My HDB!

http://myfishyroomates.blogspot.com

• SRC Member

I personally tried this and it works too. To add on, try to find a good healthy sample of coraline to help seed your tank. meaning to say, if your friend has coraline but it don't really grow much, don't use that sample. Find someone whose coraline sample is growing strong or forming the blade structures.

Also keep MG above 1400. it helps.

blade structures? Is it not the encrusting type of coralline?

• 1 month later...