My first 3x2x2 reef tank attempt

hooey

Hi fellow reefers, been lurking in this forum for a while now and I guess its time to share my journey setting up my first tank. Tank has been running since april.

After reading a random book on reef aquarium setup I bought from amazon and also surfing random tips on this forum, I decided to place an order for a 3x2x2 tank.

File 25-8-15 12 08 11 am.jpeg
Hope to improve on my reefing husbandry and any advice is appreciated.

Edited by hooey

Sump area is not exactly big which I intended to only fit skimmer and small refugium in the middle. Mechanical filtration would be filter wool. Biological filtration would be biohomme and biosphere.

File 25-8-15 12 09 09 am.jpeg

After a month of cycling, I have convinced myself that my tank is ready for inhabitants (of course with confirmation from test results). ^_^

So I went out and got 2 clownfish, which were not paired but hoping that they will pair.

File 25-8-15 12 12 26 am.jpeg

File 25-8-15 12 12 43 am.jpeg

Added a green hammer not long afterwards. I have always wanted an anemone hosting clownfishes so I got a bubble tip. In the process I also got an anemone crab, and it became the first tenant of the anemone.

File 25-8-15 12 14 26 am.jpeg

File 25-8-15 12 14 45 am.jpeg

The clownfishes only start to get interested in the anemone after a couple of months, and I also got another bubble tip for the other clownfish. During this time I have also added some lps like torch, chalice, blasto, lobo and some zoas.

File 25-8-15 12 19 49 am.jpeg

File 25-8-15 12 18 27 am.jpeg

File 25-8-15 12 33 27 am.jpeg

Nice job! It looks cool. I somehow got the image of a giant robot perched on top of an island

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

Thanks, I didnt really had any idea for a start and was just handed 2 boxes of live rocks when I told the shop I wanted 30kg of rocks.There were too many large pieces of rock and it was really challenging to scape keeping in mind also not to compromise on the flow through the rocks.

Nice & simple  setup.

Edited by Admiraltian

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

Chiller : Dalkin 1hp compressor with build-in drop coil.

Skimmer : Skimz Octa SC205i Protein Skimmer.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

CR : Skimz Monzter E Series CM122 Calcium Reactor.

BPR: Marine Source Biopellet  Reactor with Continuum Reef Biopellet Fuel. 

Main Return Pump : SICCE Syncra ADV 9.0 & Jebao ACQ-10000 Water Pump.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Water Top Up: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite.

Can you share with us your equipment specification?  Are you using LED lighting? 

Yes I'm using maxspect razor led lighting.

Chiller: Hailea 90a

Skimmer: Bubble magus curve 7

Return pump: Eheim 1260

Wavemaker: 2xjebao rw8

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

322 very good size for SPS. No chiller? 

I have my chiller outside my cabinet as recommended by tankmaker which he said to have the sump as big as the cabinet can possibly fit.

Would be interested in trying out some sps, any recommendations that are nice looking and easy for start?

Very nice scaping! How do you maintain? Dosing?

I only do wc once a week for now since parameters don't fluctuate much.

Might do a rescape as I feel the current scape inhibits flow in the middle of the island.

• Like 1