Lighting for Corals

• SRC Member

Hi Bros and Sis,

Kept corals for coming to 3 months and had been using only white lights. According to some of my friends, white is more than enough, some say 8hrs white and 8hrs blue. Can anyone advice which is the best way?

• SRC Supporter

I have always utilised more blue than white. From LED to t5 now. 

My previous maxspect runs at 100% blue and 40% white for 14 hours. 

My current sunpower dimmable runs 4 blue plus and 2 actinic for 14 hours and 2 coral plus for 6 hours. 

Colours still good even with more blue than white

Edited by dinGdinG

Just have to keep reefing... cant stop now~!

Heard that white is for growth n blue is for colour. Not sure if it is true. But what i know is in ocean most colours r filter out by water n left only blue. Tats the reason when u take underwater photo it always comes out with Blue tint

DT 7ft x 2.5ft x 2.5ft
Sump 4ft x 2ft x 2ft
2 x Jebao Wp60
2 x 5000 GPH Return Pump
1 x Teco Tr20 Chiller
4 x 150w Led Light Set
Np Biopellets

Ultraphos
Bubble Magus C99

Chaeto Refugium

2 x T5

I am not an expert and have been running my tank for close to 2 years. I am using the maxspect nano and running at 60% white and 85% blue daily for 8 hours from 3.30pm to 11.30pm. I prefer more blue as I can see the corals fluoresce and I believe blue light can penetrate deeper into the tank

Tank: 3.5ft x 2ft x 1.5ft, 12mm

Sump: 3ft

Skimmer: Bubble Magus Curve 7

Lightings: Maxspect 15000k

Return Pump: Eheim 1252

Wavemaker: Jebao WP25, Jebao RW-8

• 1 month later...
  • SRC Member

I use hydra26. It has white. Blue red green Violet and uv. Good for coral. Can set sun rise sun set and intensity. Set it up and forget very easy.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

where you got it bro and how much it cost?

• SRC Member

I saw in other forums more reefers setting intensity for blue higher than white.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

what i heard was blue is just for our eye pleasure and white is what the corals require. no solid answer to this yet

• SRC Member

My current sunpower dimmable runs 4 blue plus and 2 actinic for 14 hours and 2 coral plus for 6 hours. 

thanks for the info

• SRC Member

I am not an expert and have been running my tank for close to 2 years. I am using the maxspect nano and running at 60% white and 85% blue daily for 8 hours from 3.30pm to 11.30pm. I prefer more blue as I can see the corals fluoresce and I believe blue light can penetrate deeper into the tank

agree bro. what really important is what that soothes our eyes. thats the whole purpose of this hobby. of cause no harm to the corals too.

• SRC Member

thanks for the info

• SRC Member

I'm no expert, but according to research, it depends on what corals you keep. The logic behind the lights, if i understand correctly, is that its supposed to emulate the amount of light they receive at certain depths of the ocean. For those who do diving, you may notice that the deeper you go, the more "blue" the reef becomes due to refraction of light in the water column. Hence, in general, many LPS, especially the bottom hugging ones like plates and brains benefit from the blue since they live in deeper waters while softies do well in just normal white as they tend to be found in shallow reefs. Of course, there's also extremely deep water coral that are non-photosynthetic and don't even need light to survive. 

Then again, since i am no expert and also hate to do math and physics calculations, I just go by the "watts-per-gallon" rule and currently use a 16 watt LED (70% white 30% blue) on a 9 hour cycle to cover all ground. Also, my corals are the beginner type, so i guess they are hardy and not too bothered about light lol

Softies: mushrooms, luminous GSP, zoa, cauliflower, xenia

LPS: Torch coral, Blasto merletti

Edited by tuajia