Overwhelming Algae

• SRC Member

Initially i thought it was direct sunlight that caused overwhelmed algae growth. did some shifting to a complete no sunlight position and the situation got worst. initially was just glass and new the entire sand bed. Please advice. 

• SRC Member

What kind of algae? Brown stuff like Diatoms? I have the same problem, most probably due to using dechlorinated tap water for top up plus excess light from my refugium leaking into the tank.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

• SRC Member

What kind of algae? Brown stuff like Diatoms? I have the same problem, most probably due to using dechlorinated tap water for top up plus excess light from my refugium leaking into the tank.

I am using distilled water for top up & wc, but still got diatoms too. Those things feed on silicate right? Could be our sand, have to wait for them to be used up

• SRC Member

I recently added a hermit crab, not sure what species, it has blue bands around his legs. He has cleared all the diatoms and green hair algae on my live rock within 2 weeks. Seems like a viable option for algae control

• SRC Member

I recently added a hermit crab, not sure what species, it has blue bands around his legs. He has cleared all the diatoms and green hair algae on my live rock within 2 weeks. Seems like a viable option for algae control

I think it's electric blue hermit crab. It has orange feelers right? This is a reef-safe species.

Btw, where did you get it from? I am looking for it too

• SRC Member

Hey bro, I bought it from a fellow hobbyist. But I saw Henry selling a few at his shop. Maybe you can go ask him

Thanks bro, missed it when I when down yesterday. Will be checking with him.

Get a fox face rabbit fish, get a couple of tuxedo urchins will get most algae off.

Lastly u can get black sea hare from Henry. Their lifespan is short but they are very effective.

was eyeing those tuxedos too! just afraid they might knock rocks over as my rock scape is not epoxied down.

Sea hares can get quite big do they?

• SRC Member
Thanks bro, missed it when I when down yesterday. Will be checking with him.was eyeing those tuxedos too! just afraid they might knock rocks over as my rock scape is not epoxied down.

Sea hares can get quite big do they?

No bro the black sea hare stays small befoe it perish. Estimate entire lifespan is 1 year.

Sounds like yours is a nano tank? Tuxedo urchin able to move loose corals but dont think they are able to move rocks lol

• SRC Member

Yup mine is a nano. 10g only. Think adult tux abit big for it too anyway haha. Unless I buy baby one.

Yeah I heard they move corals too.. My rocks not so stable leh, my nassarius can sometimes nudge it & they do shift by a little bit lol

will consider sea hares! But I don't want it to die inside the tank man

• SRC Member

Wah if anyone bringing in these cute sea slugs, might be a great option! Just not sure if it's threatened or eats only certain type of algae

http://www.iflscience.com/plants-and-animals/these-cute-sea-slugs-are-sheep-sea

Wah! The colors looks really nice! But if they are so colorful, I wonder if they might be venomous

otherwise they will be a great addition to the tank & biodiversity 

• SRC Member

Wah that one is really pretty but I don't dare to buy. I have difficulty differentiating between nudibranches and sea slugs. Later the fella turns out to be a nudi that eats only sponges, habis. Wait to starve to death...

• SRC Member
Wow! Is there anywhere in Singapore that sells that leaf slug? 

Don't think so, at least I haven't seen it around. It's quite small so maybe hard to cultivate also, haha

• SRC Member
Are snails effective in 'cleaning' those brown algae on the aquarium wall?

Don't think so. That one you'll probably need to scrub off yourself. Only my hermit cleaned up the brown stuff, too bad he can't climb up the glass

• SRC Member

Astreas should clean it up good. Brown might be diatoms

Don't think so. That one you'll probably need to scrub off yourself. Only my hermit cleaned up the brown stuff, too bad he can't climb up the glass

Thanks for the input.