Blisters/ & odd polyyp extension on SPS

• SRC Supporter

Seeking advise on what could possibly be causing these symptoms on my some SPS :

1) Bubbles forming. Flesh/skin seem to be lifting off the skeleton. 

View of jade green digi:

Bubble1.jpg

2) Odd Milli polyp extension. 

- Milli typically & used to have 'hairy' polyp extensions.

- In the past week, the polyps look like this - no hairy extensions but instead have these extensions that protrude out a lot

Fish2.jpg

It used to look like this :

P7110560.jpg

I've tried googling these symptoms but information was not exactly clear. Seeking some advise in this forum - any experience or idea what's causing it?

Only some SPS seem affected. LPS & fishes doing perfectly fine.

Water parameters :

- Salinity : hovering around 1.025

- CA : 400ppm

- Mg : 1300ppm

- KH: 7.6 dKH

- Nitrate : 5ppm

- Phosphate : barely detectable

- Potassium : measured at 370ppm (Salifert). Dosed to 400ppm (Continum powder) - could this be the cause?

- Temperature : Chiller set at 26deg C

- Lighting : 8hrs a day

Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/mysliceofnature/

• SRC Supporter

Hi bro, how long have you had that digi colony? did you shift it up higher recently?

i had a similar experience with my wild red stag colony, blisters starting to form at the tips after a few weeks after i got it, it also lost its colour and turning pinkish. It was about 8-9 inches away from my led lightset. I took it out and cut out the affected parts and it was all powdery and felt like cutting through sand, the entire tips of the colony were powdery like the skeletons melted inside.

I left it on the sandbed after that with lesser light and luckily it recovered with new growth branching out again. For my case, i was pretty sure the colony got a shock from the new lighting and it was quite burning since i was using LED then. If i remember correctly, you are using LED too?

Not too sure about your milli though, but have you been dosing any food source for sps? Just curious..

Just have to keep reefing... cant stop now~!

• SRC Supporter

Are you doing carbon dosing or something?

I run a biopellet reactor. Pellets are depleting (nitrates creeping up to around 5-10ppm). I dosed brightwell biofuel until i purchase more pellets. I'm not sure if this is the cause as i've been practicing this for some time. You think it could be carbon dosing?

Hi bro, how long have you had that digi colony? did you shift it up higher recently?

i had a similar experience with my wild red stag colony, blisters starting to form at the tips after a few weeks after i got it, it also lost its colour and turning pinkish. It was about 8-9 inches away from my led lightset. I took it out and cut out the affected parts and it was all powdery and felt like cutting through sand, the entire tips of the colony were powdery like the skeletons melted inside.

I left it on the sandbed after that with lesser light and luckily it recovered with new growth branching out again. For my case, i was pretty sure the colony got a shock from the new lighting and it was quite burning since i was using LED then. If i remember correctly, you are using LED too?

Not too sure about your milli though, but have you been dosing any food source for sps? Just curious..

The digi colony has been with me for about 4 months. In the same location all this while -  Back of the tank's frag rack which isn't very bright actually.

Lighting. Running 2x Hydra 26 in a 3ft tank. Corals have been acclimatized to roughly 75% UV, 70% violet, 95% blues, 20% red/green, 80% white for some months already. Since the blistering happened, i've cut back the lighting (generally lower for the rest of the colors. Major reduction is UV down to 15% & violet to 60%.). Thanks for sharing your thoughts on lighting. I think its one of the factors as the blistering would be worse at the end of the day compared to lights on. But i'm sure there is another cause for triggering it.

Food for SPS. I dose live rotifers every alternate day (home cultured). Polylab Polyp extender once every 2 weeks. Reef Roids once every 2 weeks. 

Food for fish. Pellets morning & night. Henry's reef gourmet on alternate nights (instead of pellets)

• SRC Supporter

Is your UV abit too high at 75%? 

I've read folks running quite high levels as well. I figured my corals are acclimatized. UV started at 10% in January 15 & acclimatize slowly to 75% in June. I've been running running at 75% level for about 2 months without issues. 

In any case, I've cut it down till its fully understood.

• SRC Supporter

From the polyp look, can be ammonia shock or light shock. 2nd more likely. Did u just change ur carbon? Or add any gfo

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I just checked my ammonia - 0ppm.

Perhaps its light related. I've tuned it down further for it to recover.

No, i'm not running carbon. I run Rowaphos but have not changed it for about 3 months since phosphate is undetectable. Do you you think it was perhaps adding GFO/Carbon could have stripped something out of the water?

• SRC Supporter

I once face the same issue when added too much carbon and gfo at the same time

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

hi bro, when u mentioned too much, how much was it exactly? Just curious as I am running both as well. I don't think it's a case whereby both carbon and gfo stripped something so essential out of our water leading to the blisters forming though. 

Just have to keep reefing... cant stop now~!