Gonio Care

NeBu

Hey guys,

How to care for a gonio? It seemed to have been happy for a while, now, it does not open that much anymore.
Light on for 7 to 8h a day. 
Water parameters are good.
All other corals and fishes are doing great.

Should I try direct feeding? Please, help!!

New Hobby lah - discovering...learning fast (or at least trying to learn fast)

• SRC Member

Hi Nebu,

To be honest your goniopora looks bleached. In that way, it probably was not doing well when u got it in the first place. You can try target feeding it reef roids to see if that helps. Give it a gentle flow as it probably cannot take strong or moderate flow at this time. Here's shot of what a healthy gonio looks like.

9dcfb93994cd269ed8044cae88e86a47.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey guys. Thanks for your replies! 
My clown are hosting anemone and hardly go to the gonio. Flow is limited in this part of the tank, the tentacles hardly moves actually. I bought it like that, but it was fully open. It was already white...didn't know it could be bleached. 

You think I can target feed with roti feast or phyto feast? I don't have reef roids. I also have small mysis frozen one. Target feed need to stop the flow totally?

• SRC Member

Hey Nebu, sorry I missed ur reply. Target feeding is okay to be done while flow is still on, especially as u mentioned the flow is quite gentle. LPS generally do not need high flow and this is especially true for gonios. I kept one in my Nanotank and it did not even have a Wavemaker. Hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks bro. Ur gonio does well? Mine does not open so much anymore....

Dont understand if they like light or not etc...

OMG LEIIIIII This one already dead almost. Small pockets already empty it seems. 
What is the ideal for a gonio? Mix of phytofeast and roti feast + good water condition and slow water flow? Can they tahan in the tank at least? 

• SRC Member

Hmm so far this gonio didn't react to any feeding. But the polyps seem to be getting bigger. Maybe there's hope. Anyway this was a free gift, so no heart pain but will still try my best to save it

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

• SRC Member

Hmm so far this gonio didn't react to any feeding. But the polyps seem to be getting bigger. Maybe there's hope. Anyway this was a free gift, so no heart pain but will still try my best to save it

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

that's great! IMO if the coral is showing signs of life then all is not lost.... Seems like it's responding to your care, great job man