FAQs on water chemistry and Triton tests (Qns welcome!)

Iwarna

• Sponsor

The Triton Lab provides the first and most accurate trace analytic laboratory service for marine hobbyist and professional aquarists.

Parameters
tested with ICP-OES :

Na, Ca, Mg, K, Sr, B, Br, S,

Li, Be, Ba, Ti, V, Cr, Mn, Fe, Co, Ni, Cu, Zn, Al, Si, As, Sb, Sn, Cd, Se, Mo, Hg, P (PO4), Pb, I

periodic table.png

Edited by Iwarna

Do refer to our Facebook Page : Iwarna Aquafarm

Pictures are uploaded there for new shipments. Thank you.

Untitled-1copy.jpg

*We have strict reservation policies for livestock, please refer to our sponsor forum for more information.

• Sponsor

Feel free to ask any questions related to the water test, the role of trace elements being tested by the Triton method or remedies proposed by the Triton method.

Some common questions we have been asked before by local hobbyists:

Untitled-1copy.jpg

*We have strict reservation policies for livestock, please refer to our sponsor forum for more information.

• Sponsor

Does a change to TRITON method makes sense for me?

This decision must be made yourself. When you are not satisfied with your aquarium, whether the amount of work or the appearance and health of the hard and soft corals etc., we are happy to offer advice and practical help.

Untitled-1copy.jpg

• Sponsor

How important is it to change the whole system to TRITON?

It depends on the live stock you want to keep in your tank. If you want an aquarium like for example the TRITON display tank with a lot of sensitive corals and fish, highly stocked with SPS, then you should stay with the TRITON requirements to be able to reproduce the same success. If it is a mixed system, you can flexibly renounce one or the other. Should there be no success, then you could change step by step to all of the TRITON requirements.

Untitled-1copy.jpg

• Sponsor

Can I also use other products when running TRITON?

This is up to the customer, but other products are not quality controlled by us and we do not know what they contain. Therefore, in such experiments you should increase the number of ICP- OES analyzes to make sure that nothing harmful enters the aquarium.

Untitled-1copy.jpg

• Sponsor

Can I run Triton method with DSB-system or mud filtration?

No, unfortunately TRITON is not compatible with this type of filtering. We strongly advise against it.

Untitled-1copy.jpg

• Sponsor

Why is the algae bed (refugium) the catalyst for the Triton Method? 

Your maintenance regime is a similar catalyst, a food chain, phyto to zooplankton all the way through the food chain until something dies and the phyto feeds once more on the nutrients such as phosphate & nitrate.
Thee algae bed can be seen in the same way, but more condensed, it too will start by growing from nutrients in the water and elements added through triton, as the cycles run in the aquarium, the algae self regulates, growing when nutrients are high and dying off when nutrients drop. 
These algaes will release aminos, carbs and nutrients back to the tank in a natural format.
In many ways they can be looked upon as a concentrated phyto culture.

Untitled-1copy.jpg

• Sponsor

My one year old LPS tank is doing happily. What can the parameters reading tell me about ? Must i use triton supplement to balance the parameter ? Since i do not run a refugium tank, will this still work ?

The icp test is able to let you know exactly what's in your tank, the deficiencies and excesses. You only need a refugium if you are using the Triton method. You do not need a refugium to bring your parameters inline after the icp test. Btw, how are you maintaining your tank;  water change, 3-part dosing?

Untitled-1copy.jpg

• Sponsor

if i dont run a refugium , but i run Rowa and bio pallets to control the nutrient, can it still work ?

Hi,

Unfortunately, we do not recommend using the Triton Method without a refugium as the macro algae in the refugium is a very important component for biological nutrient export when using the Triton Method.

The daily dosing of the Base Elementz besides replenishing the major elements like Ca, Mg and  Kh, it also contains trace elements that will get your tank water as close as possible to seawater properties. These include trace elements that are beneficial to macro algae. Therefore without a refugium with macro algae it might encourage growth of nuisance algae in the display tank.

Untitled-1copy.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hi Iwarna

A very impressive progression of your display tank.

May I noe hw much quantity of your dosing used for this tank?.. X ml (triton elements) vs x litres (the total volume of tank)? I read in triton website tat e recommended dosing is 10% of total water volume. Your advice?

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

• Sponsor

Hi Iwarna

A very impressive progression of your display tank.

May I noe hw much quantity of your dosing used for this tank?.. X ml (triton elements) vs x litres (the total volume of tank)? I read in triton website tat e recommended dosing is 10% of total water volume. Your advice?

Hi,

We are dosing 460ml of the Elementz per day, our water volume is about 1500 litres.

Each bottle of the Elementz (1,2,3A,3B) is 1 litre, you mix each of them with 9 litres of rodi water.

As a guide you should dose equally 10ml of each Elementz per 100 litres of your water.

You increase or decrease the dosage based on the Kh, keeping the Kh between 8 and 9.

Sps will consume more as compared to lps.

Cheers,

Aquarium Iwarna

Untitled-1copy.jpg

• Sponsor

thanks!

Hi,

You are most welcome.

Feel free to drop by our showroom anytime.

Just text me at 90888622 in advance.

Cheers,

Aquarium Iwarna

Untitled-1copy.jpg

• 4 months later...
  • Sponsor

Untitled-1copy.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • Sponsor
5 hours ago, jvega888 said:

Can I use Triton system without sending my water for testing to Triton Lab? Can I just follow the recommended dose of 10ml per 100 litres per day?

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

Hi,

We always advise customers to send water for the lab test regardless of the method used as test kits for most of the trace elements are not available.

After a few rounds of lab test, you should be able to know the consumption of elements, both major and trace, by your tank and thus able to send the water for the lab test less regularly.

Cheers,

Aquarium Iwarna

Untitled-1copy.jpg