Somebody is stealing my water

• SRC Member

I have been monitoring the evaporation in my sump during the last week. I had added a lot of extra water and I was amazed about how fast the level was going down! 

I decided to put some marks to be able to evaluate it better. Each day I have added a piece of cello tape to mark the water level. The big piece at the bottom is the minimum water level for the pump to work.

I have made some calculations and I am losing 2L of water per day. I didnt use the fan, lights or skimmer, the system was running only with the main pump.

Is this normal??? What can I do?

20151101_215628-1.jpg

• SRC Member

Note that the water level is higher in the picture because I have already top up some water.

Also, the highest mark is above my safe water level in case pump stops, what means that I may only have 3 days buffer in the case I have to travel.. not even a week!

• SRC Member

How big is your tank? Is it air conditioned ?

It is a 222 cube. The aircon has been only on 3 or 4 hours because I spend most time at work.

Tank temperature is around 29C-30C. I want to turn on the fan, but I don't dare because I read it increases evaporation a lot!

• SRC Member
It is a 222 cube. The aircon has been only on 3 or 4 hours because I spend most time at work.

Tank temperature is around 29C-30C. I want to turn on the fan, but I don't dare because I read it increases evaporation a lot!

It is due to the air con.. You can try to off it and you will see the difference..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• SRC Member
I have been monitoring the evaporation in my sump during the last week. I had added a lot of extra water and I was amazed about how fast the level was going down! 

I decided to put some marks to be able to evaluate it better. Each day I have added a piece of cello tape to mark the water level. The big piece at the bottom is the minimum water level for the pump to work.

I have made some calculations and I am losing 2L of water per day. I didnt use the fan, lights or skimmer, the system was running only with the main pump.

Is this normal??? What can I do?

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/monthly_2015_11/20151101_215628-1.jpg.9cef485aa80c91a836527d42af2a295d.jpg

Yes, it is normal.

• SRC Member

U might wana take a full tank shot? My tank runs with fan 24/7 but the evaporation is about 3L per day.. If ya tank is placed near window or at balcony, than the evaporation might due to outside heat.

• SRC Member

92d449ea0cb8f0258946a795a1655387.jpg

This is my full system.

Wow, I am impressed 2L per day is normal, thanks for sharing.

I will look for an ATO system. But the problem is that a water container does not fit in my cupboard, the sump already takes all the available space. Do you know any creative solutions I can use?

• SRC Member

yeah I have a 10G with fan & everyday I am losing about 0.75L so I am not surprised with 2L especially on such a big tank. 

There are those top-up systems which use switches/float valves etc. Otherwise can DIY an ATO if you are feeling techie :)

• SRC Member
yeah I have a 10G with fan & everyday I am losing about 0.75L so I am not surprised with 2L especially on such a big tank. 

There are those top-up systems which use switches/float valves etc. Otherwise can DIY an ATO if you are feeling techie 

Yup, but the problem is... how do I fit in a water deposit in the cupboard??

• SRC Member

From the pic I'm guessing you probably have about 2ft x 1ft of space? Depth probably about 1ft but if you can shift that gray pipe ether backwards, can create more space.

then, rest a decking or mesh or something flat on top of the glass, then you can put place water containers which can auto drip as the water level goes down. This will require almost daily maintenance though, cos your container volume won't be much more than 2L....

you able to place larger containers of top up water beside or behind your cabinet? That will give you more options

• SRC Member

You can try to use this if you want to save space. Its a hang on container of water (5l) that will dispense if it notices a drop in water level via the float. You can check with our sponsors Gemsurf for more info. http://www.gemsurfs.com/topup.html

Tank Size: 3.5 ft x 2 ft x 2 ft
Sump: 3ft x 1.5ft x 1.5ft”
Return Pump: Eheim 1264
Chiller Pump: H2Ocean Flow Pump 3000
Skimmer: Vertex Alpha 200
Wavemakers: 2 X Maxspect Gyre 130; 1 x Ecotech VorTech MP10WES, 1 x Ecotech VorTech MP40WES, 1x Jebao RW15
Filtration: Schuran Multifilter 100 (Rowa Phos), Two Little Fishies Phosban 150 Fluidised Reactor (Vertex Rox 0.8 Carbon), Enductor Fluidized Reactor- FR45 (NP Biopellets & All In One Biopellets) with Eden 140 Pump, Santa Monica Hogx1 Algae Turf Scrubber, Cheato
Calcium Reactor: Skimz CM152 with needle valve and Maxijet 600 feed Pump (CaribSea ARM Extra Coarse ,KZ Coral Gravel, Two Little Fishies Reborn, Grotech Magnesium Pro)
Dosing: Bubble Magnus Dosing Pump BM-T01 + 2 x 4 Head Expansion Accessory BM-T02
Bio Media: Marine Pure, Bacteria King, Eheim Substrat Pro, Eheim Substrat, Seachem DeNitrate, PowerHouse Hard, Polyplab Biosphere, Seachem Purigen

Chiller: JBJ Arctica Titanium Aquarium Chiller (1/3 Hp - DBE-150)
Lighting: ATI Powermodule 6 x 39 Watt T5. Solite 4 x 39 Watt T5 (Only 2 used) (Blue+ Blue+ Coral+ Purple+ Coral+ AB Special) (Blue+ Purple+)
Auto Top Up system: Tunze Osmolator Universal 3155 Auto Top Off
Monitoring: 2 x Milwaukee MC 122 PH Controller (Calcium Reactor & PH Monitoring)

Substrate: CaribSea Aragamax Select

• 4 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Care to share? ;)

Sure, here's what I'm doing; so right, once the water level drops below the shorter tube, air rushes in & displaces the exact volume of water out into the tank, keeping the level constant.

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 2

• SRC Member

I loose more than 3 litres a day.

I have no chiller & have 3 fans.

Its too much work to top up everyday & what if I am away for holiday

That why I bought the tunze osmolator & & connected it with 30 L blue drum.

Now even if I am not around for few days, I don't have to worry about topping up.6b1693fe9fe8e8ece0bc9fb7ef2136cb.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk