Somebody is stealing my water

• SRC Member

Why is it not good? Some tanks would require more fans to keep the temp at allowable ranges, the effect of that would inevitably be higher evaporation, and ATOs are meant to keep your levels constant, preventing huge swings in parameters....

• SRC Member

Sure, here's what I'm doing; so right, once the water level drops below the shorter tube, air rushes in & displaces the exact volume of water out into the tank, keeping the level constant.

image.jpg

image.jpg

ingenious!

"It said on the box Requires Windows 95 or better - so i bought a Mac"

I have 2 fans running an hour and switching off for an hour 24/7. I always top up a pail of water every 4 - 5 days. Should be around 20 litres a pail.

Tank: 3.5ft x 2ft x 1.5ft, 12mm

Sump: 3ft

Skimmer: Bubble Magus Curve 7

Lightings: Maxspect 15000k

Return Pump: Eheim 1252

Wavemaker: Jebao WP25, Jebao RW-8

• SRC Member

Bro top up too much water not too good 3fan too much lass time I 1 fan loss 2-3liter aready

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hi bro, can share why top too much water no good? thks

@ 291213

Updated video: Kenyee FOWLR

http://m.youtube.com/my_videos

• SRC Supporter

Sure, here's what I'm doing; so right, once the water level drops below the shorter tube, air rushes in & displaces the exact volume of water out into the tank, keeping the level constant.

image.jpg

image.jpg

wow!! This is a simple and brilliant idea!! Got to give u 100 points for creativity bro lol

• Like 1

Just have to keep reefing... cant stop now~!

• SRC Member

I have 2 fans running an hour and switching off for an hour 24/7. I always top up a pail of water every 4 - 5 days. Should be around 20 litres a pail.

interesting... would there be salinity swings if top up is done every 4-5 days? Perhaps temp, PH fluctuations too unless your tank volume is huge?

Being able to top up one shot is relatively convenient, did not have this luxury as the water level in my sump kept dropping below the return pump which pushed me to do ATO

• SRC Member

wow!! This is a simple and brilliant idea!! Got to give u 100 points for creativity bro lol

thanks man! But cannot take credit, this is not my idea lah, made this only after I googled for many days on how other pple DIY ATO... Went to so many reefing forums, even freshwater ones too lol

its a low-tech & effective ATO. But just like anything, it has its limitations. If bottle is not watertight, that's it, I'm screwed. This method does not have a float valve or sensor to stop overflow.

if anyone can think of how to incorporate a fail-safe(ie. stop overflow) into this, pls share!

• SRC Member

using a float valve is the most fail-safe method i find..like our toilet flushing tank top up system oso use float valve..by having a container above the waterline of the last compartment will do the trick..for the bottle method is really a brilliant idea for small tank with low evaporation rate..thumbs up..i have used this method for my 2ft QT (without the 2 tubes, i just hang the bottle inverted without the cap n the bottle mouth just under the waterline, water will flow in when air enter the bottle.)cheers n happy reefing

@ 291213

Updated video: Kenyee FOWLR

http://m.youtube.com/my_videos

• 2 weeks later...

Bro Falong, 

Losing 2L a day is normal. The problem is your "reservoir" of 2ft x 1ft x?height is too small.  Within 1 week your water level will drop to the return pump level and it will be sucking air. 

Suggest you enlarge your reservoir. One simple but irreversible way is to break down the first glass partition separating the lighted partition and return pump partition.

When that is done, your reservoir will enlarge to almost 2ftx2ft ?ft high which is double the current reservoir. Your drop in water level will be almost half.

• 3 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/monthly_2015_12/image.jpg.f71aabeb1e3d9ec4381785d62dde9745.jpg

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/monthly_2015_12/image.jpg.35299a495cab89d71ba2938c5003a8d0.jpg

Omg this is brilliant. I was gonna use hospital supplies and fashion a drip based on the estimated evaporation. Very suitable for a nano setup for short holidays.

Mind if I ask how you drilled those hoses in and how you made that seal air tight

• SRC Member
thanks man! But cannot take credit, this is not my idea lah, made this only after I googled for many days on how other pple DIY ATO... Went to so many reefing forums, even freshwater ones too lol

its a low-tech & effective ATO. But just like anything, it has its limitations. If bottle is not watertight, that's it, I'm screwed. This method does not have a float valve or sensor to stop overflow.

if anyone can think of how to incorporate a fail-safe(ie. stop overflow) into this, pls share!

OK if you put the whole neck into the sump area, even if the hose area is leaking air, by the time the water fills and reaches the neck area, the filling should stop as air cannot leak in anymore.

This assumes that the leak is only from the bottle cap area. Which should be the case unless someone sabo and pokes a hole in your bottle area.

• SRC Member

Omg this is brilliant. I was gonna use hospital supplies and fashion a drip based on the estimated evaporation. Very suitable for a nano setup for short holidays.

Mind if I ask how you drilled those hoses in and how you made that seal air tight

Used an ice pick to punch thru the cap, & superglued around the air tubes. 

Still can't use when off during holiday, will need a much bigger bottle

Hmm i tried to do a diy water dip but it did not work. Saw it on youtube that one of the reefer user a pet dripper and it work perfectly. Hmm... Still dunno what when wrong... I just use a plastic ketcup bottle where you often saw it at restruant. Filled it with water and put upside down just above the water surface. But it just dun drip! Any gurus can help advise? Thanks

• SRC Member
Hmm i tried to do a diy water dip but it did not work. Saw it on youtube that one of the reefer user a pet dripper and it work perfectly. Hmm... Still dunno what when wrong... I just use a plastic ketcup bottle where you often saw it at restruant. Filled it with water and put upside down just above the water surface. But it just dun drip! Any gurus can help advise? Thanks

You need to have another hole to pet air in if not the water will not drip as there's no air to displace the space inside the bottle.

Look at the other bottle design, there are two holes. One for air (shorter adjusted to tank water level) and longer for water

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...