What is a Prata?

tuajia

• SRC Member

Hi guys, been looking around and reading up on various LPS and I see many people mentioning "prata" coral. I am assuming it's called prata because it sort of looks like a kosong prata lol. However, finding info on prata has been very confusing for me because i see so many different corals called "prata". According to what i have read, it appears prata could be either

1. Scolymia (button corals, donut coral)

2. Cynarina (also called button corals?! Huh?)

3. Acanthophyllia (also called donut coral??? AKA meat coral)

Trying to identify by image is also a nightmare because it seems that they look quite similar and a lot of websites mis-identify them as well. Could any expert teach me what prata really is? Also, I actually am interested in looking for Acanthophyllia in our LFS but I want to make sure i'm looking for the right thing... Thanks!

• SRC Member

Thanks guys. So far it seems that it's agreed that Prata = meat coral. I was watching videos from Tidal Gardens on YouTube about how meat corals seem to be "unappreciated" in the US but it seems like its really popular locally! So Prata is the one with the highest price tag? What about scolymia and cynarina? These two still seem to be confused with each other. Looking at images of them, they still look the same, like donuts or dried persimmons...

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

• 5 years later...

I recently introduced a nice big Prata Coral (acanthophyllia or meat coral)... after a few days my Koran angel took a small bite at it (it is totally my mistake and now I separated them) and some of its bony skeleton can be seen when it shrunk. The prata looks ok still eating and expending and shrinking as usual. Are there any suggestions from the experts in this forum to help my prata to heal and recover? Thank you very much.     

• SRC Supporter
On 1/27/2021 at 5:35 PM, SSunthar said:

I recently introduced a nice big Prata Coral (acanthophyllia or meat coral)... after a few days my Koran angel took a small bite at it (it is totally my mistake and now I separated them) and some of its bony skeleton can be seen when it shrunk. The prata looks ok still eating and expending and shrinking as usual. Are there any suggestions from the experts in this forum to help my prata to heal and recover? Thank you very much.     

use a nail clipper and cut off those exposure skeleton, it will help it to heal. 

• Like 1