Nitrates and Phosphate Be Gone!

MrHandkerchief

Hello guys

I have been trying to lower my Nitrates and phosphates levels in my 10 gallon FOWLR tank to no avail. I tried water changes, a PRODAC NO Nitrates absorber, and Seachem Prime. However, there are still golden brown patches all over and green hair-like moss as well. Ironically, when I test for nitrates, they show up fine, less then 0.5. 
What are the other means?

• 4 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Check PO4 level, pull out,brush off, siphon as much algae as possible, do a 30% water change (Distilled or RO/DI water "no tap water") run rowaphos in a reactor (ideal), if no reactor, use the media sock given, follow intructions and place it in ur filter.

Distilled water can be purchase at NTUC. "Life" Distilled Water.

Ensure you have an oversize skimmer, wave maker to ensure no dead spots, and lower lighting period and intensity. If using tap water, then diatoms will continue to grow. You can get turbo snails to clean up the diatoms. Tuxedo urchins can clean deeper and make your rocks white but they will eat into your tank silicon if there are algae growing there. I also recommend nassarius snails as they will dig into your sand and come out when there are food, thus making your sand looks cleaner.

Edited by kohanson

Tank: 3.5ft x 2ft x 1.5ft, 12mm

Sump: 3ft

Skimmer: Bubble Magus Curve 7

Lightings: Maxspect 15000k

Return Pump: Eheim 1252

Wavemaker: Jebao WP25, Jebao RW-8

• 1 month later...