AI Hydra 26 HD

SubzeroLT

• SRC Supporter

Decided to write a short review on a recent purchase….

Really excited to try the new Aqua Illumination Hydra HD. According to information from AI’s website, the new “Hydperdrive” allows users to get the most of their LEDs. One can re-distribute total available power from other channels to ‘overdrive’ certain channels that need more than 100%. For example, most folks tune down the Red, Green or White channels. This power can then be channeled into the higher demand channels like Blue. 

The Hydra26 is rated 90W compared to Hydra 52 135W (50% more powerful even with 4 clusters of LED instead of 2).  Externally, HD & non-HD versions look the same. Both come with 80deg lenses.

Back when I started, Ken (Madpetz) advised to go with 2x Hydra26 as it provided better spread over the tank area.

Original Setup :

Lights : 2x Hydra 26.

Tank : 3x1.5x1.5ft

Wavemaker : 2x Ecotech Marine MP10wES, 1x Jebao RW4

Tank age : 1yr. Mixed reef of SPS & LPS.....still learning about reefing.

PC080594.jpg

PC080595.jpg

Unboxing the Hydra26 HD

Hydra%20box.jpg

Comparing the Hydra26 with Hydra26 HD.  The main difference is replacing 1 White LED with Blue. 

Table.jpg

I replaced the lights on the right side with the Hydra26 HD to have an apple to apple comparison. Left side of the tank remains the original Hydra26.

Color wise, the HD versions have a greater emphasis on blue with the additional Blue LED. It’s also capable to overdrive the blues to bring out the fluorescence of the corals. This picture could not capture the colors but you need to see it in person to see the improved difference in colors with the Hydra HD. I didn’t tell family members I made a change but they commented ‘somehow the right side looks nicer’. Corals seem to be happy with nice healthy polyp extensions.

Hydra 26HD setting:

Hydra%20setting.jpg

PAR measurement:

A slight drop in PAR but not very significant. PAR levels are good enough for the current mix of SPS/LPS.

PAR.jpg

Overall Verdict: Impressed with the improved colors. No regrets getting the Hydra26 HD. If budget allows, I may get the upgrade kit for the left side when it’s available.

Details on setup:

The instructions on the quick start guide was perhaps too brief & does not mention much. I’d like to share some points during the setup process to link the Hydra to your home WiFi

1) Use a laptop’s wifi, find the Hydra’s WIFI signal & select it.

Wifi.jpg

2) Then key in the Hydra’s local web address as mentioned in the instructions sheet. 

Quick%20guide.jpg

3) It gets you to this web page. To link it to your home wifi, select “Choose Network”. Select your home wifi & enter your wifi password.

Sync%20wifi.jpg

From here, it’s easy to setup the light timing/profile. As I had another Hydra26 in the mix, I attempted to load the setting file over.

From the old Hydra, download the .aip settings file. 

Old%20AIP.jpg

Then on the Hydra HD, upload the .aip file. And the starting point ramp profile is setup.

New%20AIP.jpg

A check on the detailed setting however shows that the Blue is at 0%.  This is probably because the firmware calls the Blue channel slightly differently now. It would have been nice if every channel could be ported over. But it’s also not an issue to just change it manually.

No-Blue.jpg

• Like 3

Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/mysliceofnature/

• SRC Supporter

I am also running on mixture of hydra 52 and the new Hydra 52 HD. The biggest different that I see till date is hydra 52 HD is more blue, and is so much brighter. I was transferring my existing setting for hydra 52 from my director and it was only 50% of what was being utilize while it was set at 100% maximum intensity on my existing Hydra 52.

The other different for the 52 HD, it allow easier control of color temperature against power intensity via the MyAI apps.

b05d8b1318e060b5b23463407885a02d.jpg

627143949b34811ae5cdd1096eef2b58.jpg

• SRC Supporter

very detail review! impressive bro!

able to do some close up shots of those corals?

Just starting the hobby, so I only have simple corals but i'll take some photos tomorrow.

• SRC Supporter

The other different for the 52 HD, it allow easier control of color temperature against power intensity via the MyAI apps.

b05d8b1318e060b5b23463407885a02d.jpg

Agree... the AI app has a very nice interface indeed. Need to explore more.

With the AI Director, it was possible to store multiple profiles (eg. one for normal daily use, one for photography purpose, one that has more white during water change/maintenance).

With the Hydra HD app/website, it looks like one needs to save the .aip file separately & upload accordingly. 

• SRC Member

I am currently setting up a 2 feet tank and am undecided as to which Hydra lighting I should use. 

Hydra 26 or Hydra 52?  I may scale up to a 3-4 feet tank later. Would it be better to get one Hydra 52 from the start or later just add an extra Hydra 26?

• SRC Supporter

You can either use one 52 and run a lower setting or get one 26 now and consider getting additional one more in future when you upgrade.

Of course depending on the price difference and what you intend to keep as well. For a bigger tank running two separate unit is definitely better than running one single unit for better spread just my view.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

• SRC Member
I am currently setting up a 2 feet tank and am undecided as to which Hydra lighting I should use. 

Hydra 26 or Hydra 52?  I may scale up to a 3-4 feet tank later. Would it be better to get one Hydra 52 from the start or later just add an extra Hydra 26?

I am using 2x52 on a 3ft.. Get a 52 now is better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• SRC Supporter

2x52 for a 3ft tank? Are you running on full power?

If not full power, why not 2 x 26 instead? 

2x52 is also a good idea for 3ft if budget allows. 

- Allows you to hang it higher to have better spread over the tank area

- More adjustment space on color spectrum (eg. more blue instead of white) and yet maintain good PAR levels

• SRC Supporter

very detail review! impressive bro!

able to do some close up shots of those corals?

Saw Ah Chris' nice photos with an Olympus camera. Managed to borrow one from a colleague. 1st attempt with it for some quick snapshots last night, of corals with me 6-9 months & currently under these lights.

PC100613.jpg

Turquoise Birdsnest :

PC100616.jpg

Purple/Blue Tenius :

PC100618.jpg

PC100620.jpg

Recovering red millie

PC100623.jpg

PC100628.jpg

Torch garden

PC100631.jpg

Valida

PC100647.jpg

PC100650.jpg

Monti

PC100653.jpg

Not so pink millie

PC100643.jpg

True Rasta

PC100659.jpg

Orange Yuma

PC100626.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Supporter

Been playing around the iPad MyAI app to set the lighting parameters. I'd say its a lot easier using the iPad app compared to using a PC web interface.

IMG_0080.jpg

Hydra%20setting%202.jpg

You can toggle between the slider style control or color temperature style.

There was a recent app update & the older non-HD hydra lights a similar interface as well.  I like it.

• SRC Supporter

Did u experience before once you restart ( switch off and on) the HD, the setting is gone?

Nope... I just tested. 

Even after switch off/on the unit, the settings are retained. For reference, i'm running firmware version 1.3.1

• SRC Supporter
Nope... I just tested. 

Even after switch off/on the unit, the settings are retained. For reference, i'm running firmware version 1.3.1

Maybe is due to my firmware. Will go update it and see

• 3 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Is there any guideline stating the minimum distance to install the hydra away from water level?  (Noted other forum only state 2-3 inches to keep it away from water/evaporation)

Just gotten my hydra 26 hd, trying to bring out color in zoas as purchase a few frags.

is there any height recommended to start off? (Currently having LPS only)

Thanks.

• SRC Supporter

A general guideline for LEDs is about 10" or more. Personally mine is about 12" away from water level.

The Hydras come with 80deg lens. So this can help you gauge the spread of light & how high to hang.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• SRC Supporter

Strong wavemakers too close to the surface can generate a lot of surface movement.

Try moving it lower. Or some wavemakers like the Ecotech MP40 have a shield on one side to deflect water movement & not draw air/water directly above it.

62C99B9F-51F8-49C9-9D86-5B40E1A03D0B.jpg

• SRC Member

Thanks Leon,

Trying to play around on the Gyre, causing some surface movement every 30secs when at forward flow.

Mounted vertically. Too low sand movement, too high surface movement. Forward flow at only 26%. :(

quite satisfied with the hydra 26 hd at this moment, still exploring. :P