D.G's 6ft Reef Tank

D.G

Hey guys!

This is  my 1st tank thread in SRC!

I've kept a 3ft reef tank for many years and finally gotten the chance to upgrade to a larger tank. 

This thread is mainly to document and share the progress of my tank, I hope you guys enjoy the tank build and all advises are appreciated.

These are the specifications of the new tank:

Tankmaker: Vincent from Aquarium Artist.

Display tank: 6ft x 2ft x 2ft (12mm glass on the back and left view, 12mm crystal glass on the front and right view).

Sump tank: 5ft sump tank with 4 compartments.

Cabinet: Done by my ID.

Equipment:

Light: 3 x AI Hydra 52 with AI Director

Return pump: DP11

Skimmer: Skimz SM 203

Wave maker: 1 x Maxspect Gyre XF150

Chiller: Daikin Compressor Chiller

Carbon reactor: Bubble Magus Mini 80 Filter

Zeolite reactor: Bubble Magus Zeolite cast

Media used:

OF Pro Series Bio Filter Medium

Marine Pure Blocks

Still unsure if I will go ahead and use the media, as I will be starting up with zeovit and it states that bio media are not required.

Substrate:

Sand: Carib Sea Aragamax Select white Dry Sand 

Rocks: Dried Rocks

General Tank Overview

rsz_1img_3671.thumb.jpg.a0dd429d6cb20822

Should look like this when completed.

rsz_1img_3468.thumb.jpg.b46dd1305e295a8b

The bare tank and sump.

rsz_img_3603.thumb.jpg.ba299aac3e71e4add

Position of the tank will be by the balcony.

rsz_1img_3586.thumb.jpg.53e2819c4bc650c5

ID's carpenter boxing the tank up today.

IMG_3650.thumb.jpg.af50c393d159930411f19

The tank cabinet should be completed soon. Looking forward to adding water and cycling the tank.

Its my birthday today and what a great day I'm having! Thanks for viewing and stay tuned for updates on the progress. 

• Like 1

• SRC Supporter

Personally I still feel is good to have some biological filter media although you will be running zeovit system. You never know when you might change in future.

Please keep us update on your tank build here. We are already excited for you ..

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

U might need more wave makers other than juz 1 gyre in future but that will also depend on what u intend to keep too. And ya... Hope u hv enjoyed ur birthday!!

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

Chiller : Dalkin 1hp compressor with build-in drop coil.

Skimmer : Skimz Octa SC205i Protein Skimmer.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

CR : Skimz Monzter E Series CM122 Calcium Reactor.

BPR: Marine Source Biopellet  Reactor with Continuum Reef Biopellet Fuel. 

Main Return Pump : SICCE Syncra ADV 9.0 & Jebao ACQ-10000 Water Pump.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Water Top Up: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite.

Personally I still feel is good to have some biological filter media although you will be running zeovit system. You never know when you might change in future.

Please keep us update on your tank build here. We are already excited for you ..

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

Hey thanks for the advice.. Yeah I agree with you and will be placing biological filter media in the sump..

Look forward to more pics & updates.

Btw, huge balcony you have there :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for your support.. And yeah the balcony is huge but the rest of the unit is small..:D

U might need more wave makers other than juz 1 gyre in future but that will also depend on what u intend to keep too. And ya... Hope u hv enjoyed ur birthday!!

Thanks.. I really enjoyed my birthday yesterday.. Yeah definitely agree that 1 gyre won't be sufficient since I'm intending to keep more corals this time.. I currently still have a couple of wave makers in my 3ft tank and will probably bring them over to the 6ft.. 

• Sponsor

...will be following this thread! :D 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Naz
Showroom Assistant

11 Kaki Bukit Rd 1

Eunos Technolink

#03-06

Tel: 6702 3464
www.deaquatic.com

Open from 10am to 7pm

(Mon - Sat)

Closed on Sundays and Public Holiday

Like Us on Facebook:-

https://www.facebook.com/deaquaticworld/

Shop online at:

http://deaquatic.com/

Happy belated birthday D.G tank set and equipment looking good. Following for more pics and update. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey thanks Patrick for the birthday wishing.. Thanks for your support too..

Thanks everyone for your interest.. Just met with the ID this afternoon and due to some complications with the tank cabinet I won't be able to start cycling the tank till next week.. The good thing is that I have a whole week to clear all my final doubts before officially adding water in the tank..

Hopefully someone can help me clarify this initial dosing of Zeovit products..

My 6ft tank's total water volume including sump and taking away the volume of the rocks, sand, bio filter media and all equipments should roughly be around 757 litres/200 gallons..

I'm not exactly sure if that figure is right, please share if anyone has a similar sized tank..

According to the Zeovit website the 1st dose is as stated. 

ZEObak: 5 ml per 100 litres/25 gallons
ZEOstart: 10 ml per 100 litres/25 gallons
Sponge Power: 3 ml per 100 litres/25 gallons

My question is if my tank's volume is around 200 gallons then my initial dose of ZEObak is 40ml, and thats a lot since the large bottle of ZEObak is only 50ml.. 

Just wanna be sure of the dosage as I don't want to overdose.

Thanks for the help..

My 6ft tank's total water volume including sump and taking away the volume of the rocks, sand, bio filter media and all equipments should roughly be around 757 litres/200 gallons..

I'm not exactly sure if that figure is right, please share if anyone has a similar sized tank..

My question is if my tank's volume is around 200 gallons then my initial dose of ZEObak is 40ml, and thats a lot since the large bottle of ZEObak is only 50ml.. 

Thanks for the help..

zeobak should be dose in drops instead of ml. Manual says 2-4drops per 100L. Taking yours at 750L should be about 30drops. This should be about right to kick start your Zeovit system along with zeostart3 and zeofood/spongepower

Remember that this INITIAL dose only last 2weeks.

Reason is to build up bacterial colony. After which follow the manual dosage. Take note that after U change your Zeovit rocks, u do not need to do this initial dose anymore.

Dosing of Zeostart 3 must be monitored closely and adjust your dosage accordingly. From my experience, I suggest your half the recommended dosage of Zeostart.

Hi bro, safest bet for volume up to 800 litres. Below list for your guide. Zeo is by drops not ml.. It's a recipe from a favorite reefer in Hong Kong. Bon Bon

bak - 8 drops once a week

food 7 - 8 drops once a week

start 3 - 1 ml daily split by dosing pump within 8 hours.

K-Balance Strong - 8 ml each time if needed

B-balance - 4 ml twice a week

Xtra special - 4 ml twice a week

Macroelements – 6 ml twice a week

PIF - 8 drops twice a week

Iron - 8 drops once a week

Amino Acid - 8 drops twice a week

Sponge Power - 8 drops each other day

CV - 8 drops each other day

Zeozym + Biomat – 1 teaspoon + 8 drops once a week

Zeospur2 – 8 drops each time if needed

Zeolites 1.5 litres replaced monthly

Carbon 500ml replaced monthly

185 Gallons - 5ft tank since nov 2013

When you fish for love, bait with your heart, not your brain

zeobak should be dose in drops instead of ml. Manual says 2-4drops per 100L. Taking yours at 750L should be about 30drops. This should be about right to kick start your Zeovit system along with zeostart3 and zeofood/spongepower

Remember that this INITIAL dose only last 2weeks.

Reason is to build up bacterial colony. After which follow the manual dosage. Take note that after U change your Zeovit rocks, u do not need to do this initial dose anymore.

Dosing of Zeostart 3 must be monitored closely and adjust your dosage accordingly. From my experience, I suggest your half the recommended dosage of Zeostart.

Thanks for your advice.. While searching the net I did come across this dosage plan for kick starting the ZEOvit system..

Yes I agree with halving the recommended dosage of ZEOstart too but during the initial cycling period should I stick with the full dosage? 

I went to DE Aquatic and the staff there advised me on halving the recommended dosage for ZEObak, ZEOstart and Spongepower after the 14 days cycle..

Thanks for your help..

Hi bro, safest bet for volume up to 800 litres. Below list for your guide. Zeo is by drops not ml.. It's a recipe from a favorite reefer in Hong Kong. Bon Bon

bak - 8 drops once a week

food 7 - 8 drops once a week

start 3 - 1 ml daily split by dosing pump within 8 hours.

K-Balance Strong - 8 ml each time if needed

B-balance - 4 ml twice a week

Xtra special - 4 ml twice a week

Macroelements – 6 ml twice a week

PIF - 8 drops twice a week

Iron - 8 drops once a week

Amino Acid - 8 drops twice a week

Sponge Power - 8 drops each other day

CV - 8 drops each other day

Zeozym + Biomat – 1 teaspoon + 8 drops once a week

Zeospur2 – 8 drops each time if needed

Zeolites 1.5 litres replaced monthly

Carbon 500ml replaced monthly

185 Gallons - 5ft tank since nov 2013

Woah Bon Bon's tanks looks awesome..

Thanks for sharing the dosage guide but I'm wondering if the guide is for the cycling phase or the subsequent maintenance phase?

• SRC Member

Thanks for the help..

bro, my 622 is around 900 litre. best is u count your sump compartment individually to get a more accurate volume.