8g budget (<$300) and low maintenance (10% monthly wc)

f16driver

• SRC Member
Honestly I also did the same, just bought a bunch of live rock and put it in. I transported it without water so I assumed some die off would occur anyway and kick-start the cycle. Then just let it run for a month, started testing when I saw aesterina stars appearing then put in my first fish when parameters seemed ok. No issues there.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Thanks for you input Bro. I don't feel too alone Hahat5dd1bf18d23beb76f2ad8542a5f1c883.jpg.

Here's day 6 test results. All 0 with nitrate at 10 and phosphate up slightly at 0.1.

Was hoping to get some chaeto in a diy refugium in the ios section but it's rather hard to find.

Any Bros out there harvesting, kindly donate!

Might consider chemical methods for phosphate removal if it doesn't get better.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

• SRC Member

OK so I woke up this morning to 31.0 deg temps.

The original pump that came with the rainbow r300 died on me. I used that pump for the al30 chiller and that's why the temps skyrocketed.

I feel bad for the snails. First, they get a salinity shock, now temp shock. Still seem to be alive tho.

Fingers crossed. a42c72461586b11fb5658c52c1f75b41.jpg

• SRC Member

Anyway, day 6 and results still show 0 ammonia. Got myself a spiney star and this time, I'm acclimatising slowly.

da2c81266af44b982640b34eae99a0b2.jpg

I'm even going to venture to hardy corals like a gsp or zoas this weekend. Hope this doesn't blow up in my face.

• SRC Member

OK quick update,

Did this yesterday, simple media rack for the ios. My plan is to have filter wool and sponge on the top and bottom for the over and under flow. And in the middle will be a ball of chaeto. (thanks to src admin for his generous offer)

On the back of the tank, I intend to cut away the black film and feed light into the chaeto compartment. A mini refugium of sorts.

51a9a74b2c1702f1abd7db0280db0887.jpg

I hope this will bring nitrates and phosphate down.

• SRC Member

Soooo.....

Read somewhere on this forum that it isn't advisable to mix your salt in and keep it in containers without circulation. Something about precipitation.

So I went ahead and used it all for a water change.

This morning, I'm still at 10 nitrate 0.1 phosphate.

Ammonia and nitrite at 0

Gonna collect some chaeto from awesome reefer Bros here and I'll see how that goes.

Might throw in a bag of phosguard. We'll see.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

• SRC Member

Soooo.... Here's how the Duncan looks like on day two.

Using the stock rainbow light. It's now fully open and it may be due to

Water para

Lights

Temps.

The last two days my room temps went up to 33deg. The al30 managed 27.9 at best.

At this volume, safe to say the delta temps are at 5 from ambient room. If you want lower temps, conventional condenser type chillers are a better bet. 3ac0354ba689e67d68db702edbd02ca6.jpg

• SRC Member

Meanwhile, anyone uses api test kits? I feel that the tubes are a pita to wash. And sometimes you still get the chemical smell.

Salifert tho slightly more expensive, comes in easy to wash containers.

063f801e7c6f7031214c575706feb72e.jpg

If I could it over again, I'd spend the extra for Salifert kits. For the container and the measurements and the finer accuracy of Salifert kits.

• Like 1

• SRC Supporter
OK so I did a water change last night. About 15%. And today's results have not budged! I'm fact, I think nitrate went higher to 20.

Ammonia and nitrite are still at 0.

Hmm any comments?

For a small tank of this size, a regular water change of small volume of water with a good Salt mix with Ro/Di water will help reduce your tank nutrient and replenish all the elements without any additional dosing. Maybe this will save some bucks on addictive too..

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

I am against xenia for such a small tank like yours. Xenia can be such a pest which lead some people to break down their tank. I usually add skimmer in nano when the tank is around 6 months old to reduce water changes because at that time LARS usually set in. I think you better upgrade the light to AI prime or maxspect razor nano since these lights will made the corals pop with colors. After all we spent such a huge amount of money to made our tank look nice and nobody like brown corals.38f75315f3f590c37c9290ecc8acf6cf.jpg This is my 20 g with AI prime and you can really see the different colors in corals.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk