8g budget (<$300) and low maintenance (10% monthly wc)

f16driver

• SRC Member

My own take...... You can still consider Xenia if you have it growing on a removable piece of rock, or if the rock is isolated on the  sandbed. So long you don't have it growing on your main rock scape I'd think you are fine... But you have to monitor its growth as it spreads. Once it gets onto your main rock scape it's going to result in needing to tear down, possibly.

• SRC Member

New additions are the zoos

Green hammer

And twice the amount of live rock.

Spend the whole of last week adding and rescaling. Water changes cuz the Duncan didn't really appreciate moving so much.

Final fts after all the addition and rockscaping as above.

Some sps frags from a nice reefer. It's currently 4 days in the tank under rainbow stock leds. Hasn't turn brown yet bout I doubt I'll get any growth or bright colours.

• SRC Member

That being said. I think my budget experiment has been positive so far. My nett spending for the tank is

460 ish with a mini chiller

Or under $300 without and using evaporation as your means of cooling.

The cost to run a flourishing sps tank is in progress haha

Here's a pic of the Duncan finally accepting his new home. Nice and open with the lights off

3f61888538082a24ce34eff3d8b8c91a.jpg

And here's a pic under blue lights from the rainbow

c69f4ed8f0d09897ade4a453837181cc.jpg

• SRC Member

So yes, if you just want a lps and soft coral tank, you can get one for a lot less than what your expect.

I realised in my short journey, the trick isn't in keeping to a fixed budget. But rather, not falling for the allure of sps corals and the thrill of the challenges they bring.

I guess this concludes my journey in building a piece of the ocean with a tight budget.

Ill continue to update with what I've got. But it's really gonna be ludicrous from here on out. Cuz the lights I ordered are already 200usd.lol.

Ill prolly have another budget price for a sps tank. So stay tuned!

• SRC Member
I am against xenia for such a small tank like yours. Xenia can be such a pest which lead some people to break down their tank. I usually add skimmer in nano when the tank is around 6 months old to reduce water changes because at that time LARS usually set in. I think you better upgrade the light to AI prime or maxspect razor nano since these lights will made the corals pop with colors. After all we spent such a huge amount of money to made our tank look nice and nobody like brown corals.38f75315f3f590c37c9290ecc8acf6cf.jpg This is my 20 g with AI prime and you can really see the different colors in corals.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wise words. Strangely the very exact words I used to convince the other half. Explained it like instagram filters but in real life.

• SRC Member
I had to tear down two rocks scapes because of xenia, but for a tank ur size, it wont matter, keep what makes u happy. 

See its experience like these that are priceless. I'll monitor it.

Honestly it was cool for a few days. Now it's just leans towards the other corals in the tank.

• SRC Member
My own take...... You can still consider Xenia if you have it growing on a removable piece of rock, or if the rock is isolated on the  sandbed. So long you don't have it growing on your main rock scape I'd think you are fine... But you have to monitor its growth as it spreads. Once it gets onto your main rock scape it's going to result in needing to tear down, possibly.

I'll be sure to keep a close eye. I've been told it spreads like wild fire.

Thanks again everyone for the heads up!

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 7 months later...