My NEW 60L Jireh Eco Marine System

DJC80

UPDATE:

Water perimeters are now stable, no ammonia or nitrate, PH level at 8.0 and 1.026 salinity. Temp ranging between 26.5 - 27.5 through-out the day. 

Decided to add two small clown fish to the tank after cycling (see pics). Ive also added a SICCE Voyage Nano Circulation pump 1000 (1000 l/h). My question is, is it to powerful for my tank? This is the same model i was using back in Aust ( x 2 in my 130ltr tank).

But as this tank is only 60L and my existing return pump is a PH-500 Atman 680 l/h, i don't want it to be over powerful for the two small juvenile clown fish??

They both seem to stay on the same side of the tank, in the one area of the tank with the least circulation. BOTH pumps i have directed upwards towards the water line top create water movement on top and to have the least impact inside the tank.

Thoughts on too much water flow for juvenile clown fish?IMG_8214.thumb.JPG.288cff0e97c235ce8d9bcIMG_8217.thumb.JPG.5ee3b37193ce7b53ac710IMG_8218.thumb.JPG.13a2e55038bbddbb04283IMG_8219.thumb.JPG.b20c9f1a3c3b56ffc5728

• SRC Member

As long as the fishes are not "blow away" that it show be good. Have a observation for a day or two before more adjustment . Too much major adjustment will cause undue stress to your precious . Cheers 

After adding livestock, any changes or improvements on ur skimmer's skimmate?

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

Chiller : Dalkin 1hp compressor with build-in drop coil.

Skimmer : Skimz Octa SC205i Protein Skimmer.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

CR : Skimz Monzter E Series CM122 Calcium Reactor.

BPR: Marine Source Biopellet  Reactor with Continuum Reef Biopellet Fuel. 

Main Return Pump : SICCE Syncra ADV 9.0 & Jebao ACQ-10000 Water Pump.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Water Top Up: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

Advice Needed  !!!! :(

Update, its been a while since I've been CNY obligations with the wifey and family.

Ive now added a new guy to my tank, he is the Purple and Yellow fish (does anyone know what he is, my partner bought him for me and did check with the store).

Also added a duel fan to keep the temp down, its doing an awesome job and my chiller now only AUTO turns on during the peak of the afternoon. Keep the temp down to about 27.3 with no chilled - 26.5 when the chiller is on.

I'm still having the same concerns as previously - is my water flow too high?? The clowns will not go to the right side of my tank, they struggle a little to swim comfortable on that side. Reasons: The return pump/nozzle is on the right side with the direction point upwards towards the surface but due to the corner creates a lot of force towards the bottom right of the tank. The fan is also on that side, so a lot of water movement.

The Sicce 1000 ltr per hour power head is on the left, pointing up, and towards the back of the tank, but the power also ends up creating more movement in that same corner.

Not sure HOW i can configure it to give more of an EVEN movement through-out the tank.

Have a look at the sand, does this mean too much movement??? Its moving and building up in certain areas of the tank.

Could really use some advise please :))

IMG_8260.thumb.JPG.a5a237f064019906c9331

Sand Above all moving from right of tank to left OR to rear??

IMG_8261.thumb.JPG.9d44bc68e44d07d122e64

IMG_8262.thumb.JPG.4af29cc364a4b375af961

IMG_8258.thumb.JPG.1e0933ec67ea9a3fbe0aeIMG_8259.thumb.JPG.1de96129be39bd4679f43

IMG_8257.thumb.JPG.ef2f15bf6178b120d63a9

• SRC Member

I think the flow is fine, the clowns will find an area they like, for mine they love to stay in one corner of the tank. And the purple yellow fish u bought looks like a bicolor dotty back, aggressive and territorial fish :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• SRC Member

would pointing the wave maker to the rocks diffuse some of that direct flow & create some random flow?

IMO as long as your sand is not constantly blown around up into the water column, it's ok...

Hey guys,

Few new additions added - Mushroom Coral, Bubble Tip and Zoas. Added last weekend, all doing VERY well. Both my clowns have hosted (1 hosted the bottle tip, the other hosted the Mushroom Coral strangely) - Will upload some photos later today when my light schedule kicks in.

QUESTION: Im looking for a Tunze 9001 Protein Skimmer for my tank, decided to upgrade from the $30 cheap skimmer that came with the setup. Does anyone know where to find one is Singapore? FNM's supplier no longer brings them in to SG so they have to order from USA.

Any ideas? 

I think the flow is fine, the clowns will find an area they like, for mine they love to stay in one corner of the tank. And the purple yellow fish u bought looks like a bicolor dotty back, aggressive and territorial fish :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Joseph,

You were 100% correct regarding the Dotty Back - he went back to the LFS (after chasing him around my tank for 2 hours then having to remove ALL my LR to catch him)!

After about a week he went from chilling out in the LR to chasing my clowns around. Some visible marks became apparent on both my clowns. Enough was enough.

More research and advice from you guys is my new direction before adding any new items to my tank.

Thanks for the head up!

Update: BROWN ALGAE !!!

The glass in my tank (in certain areas) is growing Brown Algae, i clean each day (this has been happening for 1 week since adding the 3 x corals). The glass is not major though and easy to control. 

The issue is my LR - 2 of my 4 large pieces are almost completely covered in Brown Algae - I've reduced lights to 6-7 hours per day, and not allowing any direct sunlight (although there is some "in-direct" sunlight which is in the room). Feeding every other day, 3 x water changes per week - Fri, Sat, Sun due to time constraints.

Is this just a natural occurrence due to increase of livestock? And will it sort its self out in a week or two? Or is immediate action required?

Nitrate has risen to 30ppm - all corals and fish though are loving life (lots of colour, feeding well, all corals/bubbletip are opening right up most of the day).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

P.s. no clean up crew currently - Turbo Snails and my rock formation don't seem to work as they fall between the small gaps in the rock and get stuck for hours and end up in a not very good condition. 

Thanks min Advance

I guess those brown algae are diatoms, new tank syndrome emoji13.png. I think water change 1 times a week is more than enough already!

Sent from my iPhone

Hi Joseph,

3 changes in 3 days is too much? Does this effect the tank?

Question: who used NTUC Fairprice "PURE" water for top ups and water changes?

Ive been using it recently and could be the possible cause for the brown algae (which is now in the sand!).

A lot of people have recommended it so I'm hoping I'm wrong here.

Ive cut the lights back but since upgrading to the AI Prime, the problem is getting worse (despite only running the lights with CW for 4 hours a day) the rest is "sunrise" and "sunset" which CW fades out and runs mainly blue....

Any advice would be a life saver.

Thanks guys.

• SRC Member

Ive been using it recently and could be the possible cause for the brown algae (which is now in the sand!).

Ive cut the lights back but since upgrading to the AI Prime, the problem is getting worse (despite only running the lights with CW for 4 hours a day) the rest is "sunrise" and "sunset" which CW fades out and runs mainly blue....

Thanks guys.

I use LIFE for my top up & water changes. Honestly I don't think it's causing your diatom outbreak.. It's one of the purest waters out there locally for our reef tanks. If you like, you can do a nitrate & phosphate test on it..

diatoms can be caused by silicates which is sometimes in live sand. The diatoms should start to go away as the silicates deplete. That's of course assuming that proper tank husbandry is maintained..

& yes, decreasing your light cycle for now would help to a certain degree

• SRC Member

DCJ80, please note that your mentioned NTUC Pure Drinking Water is not the same as LIFE Distilled Water the others are talking about.  LIFE can be bought from NTUC, but it is not a NTUC housebrand.  You need to check if this Pure Drinking Water is distilled water, or is it just purified water for drinking.

I use LIFE for my top up & water changes. Honestly I don't think it's causing your diatom outbreak.. It's one of the purest waters out there locally for our reef tanks. If you like, you can do a nitrate & phosphate test on it..

diatoms can be caused by silicates which is sometimes in live sand. The diatoms should start to go away as the silicates deplete. That's of course assuming that proper tank husbandry is maintained..

& yes, decreasing your light cycle for now would help to a certain degree

Thanks for the advice! Im changing water on a regular basis, using RED SEA salt, Ammonia is 0, Nitrate at 20ppm. My Protein Skimmer is skimming well, additional power head in the tank to create surface movement (and movement within the tank for my corals). All in all, i think im keeping the correct husbandry (but im no professional only a nano rookie).

DCJ80, please note that your mentioned NTUC Pure Drinking Water is not the same as LIFE Distilled Water the others are talking about.  LIFE can be bought from NTUC, but it is not a NTUC housebrand.  You need to check if this Pure Drinking Water is distilled water, or is it just purified water for drinking.

Ive just double checked - Fairprice PURE drinking water.......... I have a problem right?

Switch to LIFE Distilled and stop using PURE.

Would you recommend URGENT water changes to be done to cycle out the PURE?

All livestock (2 x clowns, 1 x mushroom, 1 x bubble tip and 1 x Zoas) are all doing well, great colours, all corals and BTA are fully open - is it possible the PURE is ok (just not as good as the LIFE Distilled)?

Thanks DottyClown, good pick up!

• SRC Member

Thanks guys.

Sounds like diatoms. Is there an easy to clean dusty film on the glass and rocks, and in some areas hairy but when you pull on it, it breaks apart easily?

Diatoms from a new tank syndrome feed in silica from new sand and other sources found in new tanks. Yes the water you bought may be introducing phosphates that are making it worse, but nothing to panic about.

If you have filter feeders, diatoms are a great meal for them. Just wait it out. Google diatoms and you'll realise you're not alone.

• SRC Member

Ive just double checked - Fairprice PURE drinking water.......... I have a problem right?

Switch to LIFE Distilled and stop using PURE.

Would you recommend URGENT water changes to be done to cycle out the PURE?

All livestock (2 x clowns, 1 x mushroom, 1 x bubble tip and 1 x Zoas) are all doing well, great colours, all corals and BTA are fully open - is it possible the PURE is ok (just not as good as the LIFE Distilled)?

Thanks DottyClown, good pick up!

No need for urgent water change.  I don't think PURE can be that bad, in fact it may be ok to use too, I do not know.  But since your livestocks are all doing well, then there is no real cause for concern now.  Just perform your normal water change weekly.  (Btw, I also think 3 times per week is excessive.)  If your Nitrate is just 20ppm, I feel once a week, 10-20% water is good enough.  Siphon out the Diatom during water changes.  Diatom usually will just go away after some time.  Good luck.

No need for urgent water change.  I don't think PURE can be that bad, in fact it may be ok to use too, I do not know.  But since your livestocks are all doing well, then there is no real cause for concern now.  Just perform your normal water change weekly.  (Btw, I also think 3 times per week is excessive.)  If your Nitrate is just 20ppm, I feel once a week, 10-20% water is good enough.  Siphon out the Diatom during water changes.  Diatom usually will just go away after some time.  Good luck.

Thanks for the advice DottyClown. Swapping over to LIFE today and dropping water changes to once per week (saves me some work, so love the advice) :)

Hi guys,

Photo update - set up is going well.

2 x clown fish, 1 x Green Mushroom, 1 x Green TBA, 1 x Zoas - all are doing well. My clowns both started hosting the BTA and Mushroom within 2 days of being in the tank (lucky i guess).

Water quality: Ammonia 0, Nitrate 25ppm, PH 8.2, Salinity 1.026

Was going to add a second BTA as originally the clowns were fighting over the 1 BTA, but now there both happy sharing (or the black clown hosts the Mushroom when he wants some peace and quiet).

Installed my new AI Prime - running 1.5 hours sunrise, 3 hours at peak (not peak power, just introducing CW instead of blue), 1.5 hours sunset. Trying to keep lighting down whilst i have Brown Algae but still give enough light for the corals - they seem to be okay with the schedule, has been this way for over a week, no signs of distress.

Pics below :)

IMG_8295.thumb.JPG.01bdb11c152f756d890f1IMG_8296.thumb.JPG.24d3c98747eb27ea30505IMG_8302.thumb.JPG.cf4f6a6fbf37252ad0343IMG_8298.thumb.JPG.f37ca46aa4c75aba1b697IMG_8300.thumb.JPG.cd1f42b98e8deb98e88b9IMG_8303.thumb.JPG.67f710bc74464b8425e13IMG_8304.thumb.JPG.36dc2cf9608dfc40b2d1b

• 9 months later...