Another attempt on Nano Reef

Boonboy

44 minutes ago, sharonleong said:

Does LPS require calcium dosing?

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

@sharonleong seriously i think you will need to do a lot of reading up before buying anything yet. it will hurt your pocket when you see the corals die 

Humble tank :

Size: 4x2.5x2 ft - Display 

Equipment :

Return 1 : Ecotech marine L1

Return 2 : Ecotech marine M1

CR : Skimz CM122 - Caribsea extra course media with Grotech magnesium

Light : ATI 8x54W

4 hours ago, sharonleong said:

May I know what is blue plus?

Question: since I'm not heading to SPS as it so
Much more demanding Need dosing of CA,MG,KH need to monitor nitrate, phosphate, did I miss out on anything??

I'm wondering which is the most recommended lighting should I go for at least in future don't have to upgrade the lighting if I wanted to try SPS

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

in fact , the goal is to maintain a healthy biological system in what ever corals you plan to keep. if you plan to keep LPS , then keep slightly higher nitrate and phosphate but that does not mean you do not have to measure and on the topic of KH, CA and mg , normally water change will be able to keep on demand. 

T5 will be the recommended lighting and ATI will be one of the brand reefers will look for 

Humble tank :

Equipment :

• SRC Member
3 hours ago, Boonboy said:

Unless you enjoy doing lots of work, consider using Calcium reactor instead of dosing.

Old school: Metal Halide + T5HO

New school: LED + T5HO

IMO, T5HO seems the constant. 

I read up calcium reactor need to shake everyday right?

Meaning to say how advance the technology LED can't catch up with T5 spectrum?

• SRC Member
9 hours ago, Boonboy said:

It's too early to make that conclusion since I'm still acclimating the corals to the new light.

Sharing the reason for the conversion

1. Running cost - my 4 tubes of ATI T5 has reached 6 mths. Continuing this routine for next 3 yrs will cost $500++ (enough to invest in the LED light)

2. Ecstatic - my tank is 40cm by 50cm. T5 24watt protruding out - not nice. Top view is covered to maximize PAR by nearing T5 to the water surface.

3. Power consumption - 4 X 24 watt X 10 hrs photo period constant power consumption and heat production resulting in more chilling too.

4. Tech junkie - LED allows more fun with colors and features (eg sunrise, sunset, adjusting light spectrum). Shimmering effect (can "see" the wave makers working)

Sharing my current observation
- lots of shadow
- disco effect
- tank looks dimmer on LED (vs T5)

Maybe 心里作用 corals seem to glow (Fluorescence) under LED.

D allows more fun ith colors and features (eg sunrise, sunset, adjusting light spectrum). Shimmering effect (can "see" the wave makers working)
 I like this function very natural.. But again T5 can't do it?

• SRC Member

Does LPS require calcium dosing?

I doubt it will consume enough calcium, ALK or magnesium that a weekly water change cannot replenish. My understanding is that LPS is able to tolerate the big 3 fluctuation better than SPS. Unless you planning to change water quarterly.

• SRC Member
59 minutes ago, sharonleong said:

I read up calcium reactor need to shake everyday right?

Meaning to say how advance the technology LED can't catch up with T5 spectrum?

hmm... I am running calcium reactor but I never shake it. Just check and ensure that the effluent is not choked.

I believe LED technology is more advance to T5 and that LED can produce the spectrum of T5 (e.g. blue plus, purple plus, coral plus, aqua special...etc) without changing tube. However, it is the reefer who may not be an LED lighting expert that is unable to concoct the correct spectrum for the corals. 

Say you like to eat Pandan Cake:- 

(A) you buy it from famous confectionary... yummy (that is T5) 

(B) you buy all the ingredients from supermarket, and whip up the cake in your kitchen... you know how to bake? (that is LED)

Which option you prefer?

• SRC Member
1 hour ago, Boonboy said:

I doubt it will consume enough calcium, ALK or magnesium that a weekly water change cannot replenish. My understanding is that LPS is able to tolerate the big 3 fluctuation better than SPS. Unless you planning to change water quarterly.

Hi do you mean weekly water change can replenish Alkaline and Magnesium?

• SRC Member
1 minute ago, Boonboy said:

hmm... I am running calcium reactor but I never shake it. Just check and ensure that the effluent is not choked.

I believe LED technology is more advance to T5 and that LED can produce the spectrum of T5 (e.g. blue plus, purple plus, coral plus, aqua special...etc) without changing tube. However, it is the reefer who may not be an LED lighting expert that is unable to concoct the correct spectrum for the corals. 

Say you like to eat Pandan Cake:- 

(A) you buy it from famous confectionary... yummy (that is T5) 

(B) you buy all the ingredients from supermarket, and whip up the cake in your kitchen... you know how to bake? (that is LED)

Which option you prefer?

For your calcium reactor do you have a PH meter to turn on the CO2 solenoid if the PH is too high?

The calcium reactor pump is constantly running at a slow rate right..

Tricky question..... Not going to answer for the time being. :)

• SRC Member
2 minutes ago, sharonleong said:

Hi do you mean weekly water change can replenish Alkaline and Magnesium?

Yes, assuming you use good salt mix with RO/DI water (with 0 TDS). It also reduce the bad stuff like phosphate, nitrate/nitrite... etc. I do about 15% water change weekly.

• SRC Member
7 minutes ago, sharonleong said:

For your calcium reactor do you have a PH meter to turn on the CO2 solenoid if the PH is too high?

The calcium reactor pump is constantly running at a slow rate right..

Tricky question..... Not going to answer for the time being. :)

Nope, I did not use a PH controller. Just bubble count and timer. As I am using timer, I need good circulation in the reactor when the solenoid is off. This is to ensure that the effluence is released. Otherwise, it may calcify on the circulating pump or along the tubes and choke the effluent.

You may want to check with someone using PH probe for advise on the calcium reactor. 

9 hours ago, Boonboy said:

Nope, I did not use a PH controller. Just bubble count and timer. As I am using timer, I need good circulation in the reactor when the solenoid is off. This is to ensure that the effluence is released. Otherwise, it may calcify on the circulating pump or along the tubes and choke the effluent.

You may want to check with someone using PH probe for advise on the calcium reactor. 

@sharonleong read this : http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-05/sh/feature/

http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index.php/current-issue/article/44-calcium-reactors-in-out-and-everything-in-between-part-1

Humble tank :

Equipment :

since @sharonleong brought up CR topic, here is some more things to read up . what other elements to dose when using CR :

http://web.archive.org/web/20010720071031/http://www.animalnetwork.com/fish/data/foods.asp

Humble tank :

Equipment :

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
Latest FTS

DSC02824.jpg

Have been dosing Coral Up (Caribsea) for about a month and I am surprise at some of the SPS growth. Especially the blue digitata and radioactive birdnest. 

DSC02866.jpgDSC02854.jpg

Hey nice tank ! How are you? Hahaha must visit your tank soon liao

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...