Sump; Refugium

Fjdam

• SRC Member

Hi, 

Can anyone pls explain about sump tank.. is refugium consider part of sump or it is actually one of many other different types of sump setup?  Or can anyone direct me to refugium discussion in SGReef. Cant seem dig the topic.

Can i just rely just sump tank with LR and sand + micro algae and some mechanical filter? Or just mechanical filter will do? 

I had cycle my tank for like 4mths and still empty tank with LR and 3inch sand. Added some bacteria and followed all instruction by the Henry from Marine Life. Will the bacteria dead as there is no food..lol 

Sorry for the lengthy post.

• SRC Member

Sump just means a seperate space from the main tank. A refugium is a type of sump that supports life (can grow algae and pods inside etc). Some people just have a sump so that they can run all the fancy equipment without cluttering the main tank.

As long you have LR and sand and been running for a while and dosing bacteria, it should have started cycling. By right you should throw in a food pellet at the beginning, but since you didn't do that, no worries. Something on the LR would have died during transport or during cycling and provided the food for bacteria. Test your water to be absolutely sure.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

• SRC Member

I see.. thanks @tuajia I did throw half piece sotong when I kick start the cycle and to my suprise it too only 4days to like almost decompose! 

It was like mths ago, do these bacteria still alive? :P coz no food for them to eat on.

To my knowledge i need to test ammonia, nitrate, nitrites. Do i need to test Calcium and Mg for fowlr?

• SRC Member

Hi, 

Can anyone pls explain about sump tank.. is refugium consider part of sump or it is actually one of many other different types of sump setup?  Or can anyone direct me to refugium discussion in SGReef. Cant seem dig the topic.

Can i just rely just sump tank with LR and sand + micro algae and some mechanical filter? Or just mechanical filter will do? 

I had cycle my tank for like 4mths and still empty tank with LR and 3inch sand. Added some bacteria and followed all instruction by the Henry from Marine Life. Will the bacteria dead as there is no food..lol 

Sorry for the lengthy post.

4mths long enough for tank cycle. U can dose bacteria. 

Sump tank with media n filters is enough too i feel. 

• SRC Member
I see.. thanks @tuajia I did throw half piece sotong when I kick start the cycle and to my suprise it too only 4days to like almost decompose! 

It was like mths ago, do these bacteria still alive? coz no food for them to eat on.

To my knowledge i need to test ammonia, nitrate, nitrites. Do i need to test Calcium and Mg for fowlr?

They are probably alive, because there will be bacteria that starve to death and die, releasing ammonia that will feed the other bacteria, so it should be ok. When in doubt, always test. My own tank took 5 weeks to cycle without dosing bacteria

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

• SRC Member

Hi, welcome to reefing..can share pic or video of ur tank n sump?

Like most reefers say, ur tank shd b pretty well cycled..btw, do u have a skimmer? U can plan ur fish list n add them in accordingly (look at size, aggressiveness, etc) n slowly (if small fishes <3" can add more together)..do note that some fishes like tangs r best to introduce in together to prevent fighting (introduce in pair work for me)..do not over crowd ur tank..

For FOWLR, u dun need to measure calcium,mg,etc..for me, I dun even measure ammonia,nitrite n nitrate..regular wc will keep those in check..my wc regime is 40-50% 3-4weekly..my water sg is 1.016 n temp 28-30°c.. :)

• Like 1

@ 291213

Updated video: Kenyee FOWLR

http://m.youtube.com/my_videos

• SRC Member

Thats cool @kenyee have been keeping fw tank frm panted to shrimp to predatory, had never check my water parmeter. Lol but yes cant emphasize more on wc. 

I have yet to purchase sump but planning to convert my 2ft tank and diy into sump tank for my 4ft main tank. So before I start, im checking out first..heehe. 

I have a skimmer, but its medium size.. will be scrolling and camping at the pasar/bazar section for better deal.

• Like 1