Need advise

Maeko

Hi all, i just placed my mushroom corals at the top of the live rock closer to the light source and it opened bigger but the ends are turned upwards..is it too much light? a4184f8110335c40ed12792166c4c7b1.jpg

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

• SRC Member

If it's turned upwards it might a flow issue. Usually mushrooms don't hang out at high flow areas. Check if there's a current blowing at it

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

My alkalinity is 1.020. Kh is bout 8..phospate 0..im not able to check the other stuff cos dont hv the kit..bt i only have 5 fishes. Not sure why my goniopora doesnt open up too..it was doing great last week. Till i added live rocks and nutrients..see the before and after pic.

• SRC Member

My alkalinity is 1.020. Kh is bout 8..phospate 0..im not able to check the other stuff cos dont hv the kit..bt i only have 5 fishes. Not sure why my goniopora doesnt open up too..it was doing great last week. Till i added live rocks and nutrients..see the before and after pic.

the live rock that you added.. Is it cured?

Any readings for ammonia or nitrates?

the live rock that you added.. Is it cured?

Any readings for ammonia or nitrates?

No readings for ammonia or nitrates..the lfs person didnt advise me to get the kit

• SRC Member

You should get a nitrate test kit soon. I'm willing to bet ammonia levels are still ok, or else everything in the tank would be dead by now. You have quite a bit of brown in the tank, which I'm going to assume are diatoms. How long have you set up this tank? Also, what light are you using and what is your light cycle?

• SRC Member

Yup as tuajia mentioned, nitrate kit is highly recommended so you can get a lid on what's going on with the tank.. Depending on the relative amount & condition of the recently added live rock, your tank could possibly be seeing a spike in nitrates, etc

once you cfm your readings, consider doing a 10% water change to reduce any elevated levels

meanwhile, continue to feed appropriate amounts where there's minimal accumulation of uneaten food in the tank...

So by having an accumulation of uneaten food causes nitrate spike too? smtimes i tend to overfeed..maybe tt could be the cause. I tried shifting my gonio to a higher light source area too bt it still wont open..can i just do a water change without having to test the nitrate?

• SRC Supporter

For the test kit, i'd suggest getting better brands such as Nyos or Salifert. Some brands like API is not so good for saltwater (hard to read)

For salinity, use an optical refractometer instead of a hydrometer. The hydrometer has too large an error.

Uneaten food will decompose & cause nitrate spike. BTW, what are you feeding your gonio? 

They get most of their energy from light. Feeding it 2x a week is more than sufficient.

Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/mysliceofnature/

• SRC Member
So by having an accumulation of uneaten food causes nitrate spike too? smtimes i tend to overfeed..maybe tt could be the cause. I tried shifting my gonio to a higher light source area too bt it still wont open..can i just do a water change without having to test the nitrate?

Well, if you want to be careful, should test first. In my experience I tend to just be kiasu and do at least a small water change if something looks wrong. But I wiped out my whole tank of 5 Moray eels before when I changed 50% water without testing first... The huge change in water chemistry shocked them. So be careful lah

Thanks fr the advise all..i js bought the test kit..

No3 : 25 to 40 range (NYOS kit)

Kh: 7 to 8 (API kit)

Po4: 0 (API)

Salinity: 1.020 (using hydrometer)

I also got a Mg one..but unable to get the results cos it didnt change the color

• SRC Member

Salinity is abit on the low side while your nitrates is rather high considering your bioload seems light. I'd suggest a 10% WC to progressively adjust the levels

Api phosphate test kit is the worst!

Sent from my iPhone

Oh i didnt know that..but that was the only one the lfs has..guess i'll go get a better one..

Salinity is abit on the low side while your nitrates is rather high considering your bioload seems light. I'd suggest a 10% WC to progressively adjust the levels

Im not sure if the salinity is accurate..since using a hydrometer..but i hv done a 10% water change..how frequent do you advise a water change ?