High No3, Low Po4-Unbalance

Teha Toshie

• SRC Member

Hi i currently having problems with high nitrate issues and undetectable Po4 readings (Both Salifert Test).

All this seems to happen after sandbed got blown off. Tried water change 50% (Distilled Water, H2Ocean Salt Mix), Biodigest - Bioptim even NoPox & Bacter7.

It currently now at 25-50ppm range of No3, orginally was over 100ppm.

What happen during this stage, all my copepods went missing, massive die off, Dino stars growing on sandbed. Inverts and LS seems to be fine tho.

Any other tips i can do to reduce this high nitrate issue?

I have Skimz Sh1 as my Skimmer, A small fuge with Cheato, Marine Pure Balls, Rowa Carbon Running.

• SRC Member
Hi i currently having problems with high nitrate issues and undetectable Po4 readings (Both Salifert Test).

All this seems to happen after sandbed got blown off. Tried water change 50% (Distilled Water, H2Ocean Salt Mix), Biodigest - Bioptim even NoPox & Bacter7.

It currently now at 25-50ppm range of No3, orginally was over 100ppm.

What happen during this stage, all my copepods went missing, massive die off, Dino stars growing on sandbed. Inverts and LS seems to be fine tho.

Any other tips i can do to reduce this high nitrate issue?

I have Skimz Sh1 as my Skimmer, A small fuge with Cheato, Marine Pure Balls, Rowa Carbon Running.

Just use vodka will do the trick . Everyday dose a bit

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

• SRC Member

Eventually I went back to Prodibio Digest and Bioptim dosing as my bacteria and carbon dosing. Achieved ULNS by doing so in the past. Been battling  High Levels of Nitrate since 3/4 weeks ago. Lucky enough I have low bioload. Will be doing another 50% water change at the end of this week.

Is there any possibility that My tank actualy Restarted cycle when i was doing Carbon DOsing?

• SRC Member

Eventually I went back to Prodibio Digest and Bioptim dosing as my bacteria and carbon dosing. Achieved ULNS by doing so in the past. Been battling  High Levels of Nitrate since 3/4 weeks ago. Lucky enough I have low bioload. Will be doing another 50% water change at the end of this week.

Is there any possibility that My tank actualy Restarted cycle when i was doing Carbon DOsing?

How much does unbalanced PO4 and NO3 effect my carbon dosing.. As my understanding, to reducing nutrient via carbon dosing (vodka, vinegar, sugar etc) requires the present of PO4.

Dino have been removed, turned off lightings for 3 days, fuge lighting 24/7 on, the dinos eventually grew on the cheato, i have hence remove them from the cheato.

• SRC Member

There is a Redfield ration of 160(Carbon):16(nitrate):1(po4) this is the ration of what the bacterials required to reduce nutrients

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thats the part where i dont think i have enough Po4

Carbon dosing seems not to be working to reduce the nitrate but its working just to maintain the levels. Only water change does the job reducing it. It will take me months just to reduce nitrate levels to 1ppm...

Trying to find a Po4 source without the presence of Nitrate.

Cant find products such as brightwell Neophos (PO4 Supplementation for ULNS)

• SRC Supporter

You can buy potassium dihydrogen phosphate (kh2po4) locally. This increases both potassium & phosphate. This is commonly added for freshwater planted tanks.

http://www.ecocityhydroponics.com/potassium-dihydrogen-phosphate.html

• Like 1

Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/mysliceofnature/

If you increase feeding it will increase your PO4 . But monitor and ensure it never overshot .

As long as PO4 is between 0.03 to 0.05 is acceptable.

If you have skimmer set it to wet skimming. This help to export your nutrient fast

6.5 * 2 * 2 + 3.75 * 1.5 *1.5,(Decomn on 14/9/08)
4*2*2 + 2.5*1.25*1.25 (Decomn on 1/8/09)
5*2*2 (Fully LED light system, 140 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)
2.5*2*2(Fully LED Light System,96 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)

5*2.5*2(LED only)

Eheim return 1 * pump

1 HP Daikin compressor with cooling coil
2 Jebao OW40, 1 ecotech MP40,
1X6085 Tunze wm,

1 CURVE 7 Skimmer

1 DIY 80 led control by Bluefish mini 

1 radion XR30W G2, 2 Radion XR15G3

Sump area lite by 5 ft T5 , 6 * SSC 3 watt red LED for refugium

1 Full spectrum E27 led light

1 CR control by bubble count

Start No Water Change since 1st Dec 2016

Add new 2.5x2x 1.5 ft 

nLekOfpYts.jpg
[/quote]

• SRC Member

You can buy potassium dihydrogen phosphate (kh2po4) locally. This increases both potassium & phosphate. This is commonly added for freshwater planted tanks.

http://www.ecocityhydroponics.com/potassium-dihydrogen-phosphate.html

Is this the same as Seachem Flourish Phosphorus? I'm Concern if it will covert into nitrate when dosed into SW. Read randy recommendation to dose Seachem Phosphorus.. Stil considering.

If you increase feeding it will increase your PO4 . But monitor and ensure it never overshot .

As long as PO4 is between 0.03 to 0.05 is acceptable.

If you have skimmer set it to wet skimming. This help to export your nutrient fast

I'm not sure if increase feeding helps, as its does produce Po4, it contributes No3 as well.

Feeding increase both PO4 and NO3 is true. U need yr skimmer to help export fast and remove whatever excess that is not taken

6.5 * 2 * 2 + 3.75 * 1.5 *1.5,(Decomn on 14/9/08)
4*2*2 + 2.5*1.25*1.25 (Decomn on 1/8/09)
5*2*2 (Fully LED light system, 140 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)
2.5*2*2(Fully LED Light System,96 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)

5*2.5*2(LED only)

Eheim return 1 * pump

1 HP Daikin compressor with cooling coil
2 Jebao OW40, 1 ecotech MP40,
1X6085 Tunze wm,

1 CURVE 7 Skimmer

1 DIY 80 led control by Bluefish mini 

1 radion XR30W G2, 2 Radion XR15G3

Sump area lite by 5 ft T5 , 6 * SSC 3 watt red LED for refugium

1 Full spectrum E27 led light

1 CR control by bubble count

Start No Water Change since 1st Dec 2016

Add new 2.5x2x 1.5 ft 

nLekOfpYts.jpg
[/quote]

• SRC Member

Just to share my experience, as I had a similar problem recently.

Due to neglect, my NO3 went up to above 100, while my PO4 was at 0.1 or lower.

Despite several large water changes (40-50%), and later introducing Purigen into my system, NO3 still won't drop below 40, while PO4 was still 0.1 or lower.

On advise from Reefers, I removed Rowaphos for a few weeks and only had Purigen in the system, while doing normal weekly 10-15% WC.  NO3 dropped to 3 while PO4 increased to 2.5.  I later re-introduced the Rowaphos again.  NO3 and PO4 are now nearly undetectable.

Lesson learnt.  You need to have some PO4 first if you want to reduce NO3.  So I guess this is has got to do about the Redfield Ratio.