2 feet marine plant tank

Melwood1978

Used to have another thread on my 3 feet tank, but due my SG50 newborn, overseas trips and work, all LPS, SPS and some soft corals are perished and gone. Now my 3 feet tank becomes like this with most fishes still around for 3 years...

So decided to start a 2 feet marine plant satellite tank.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• SRC Member

Wow! Well done, the growth looks really good!

Would you share more parameter such as the light setup, nutrient dosage? the sediment looks interesting too.

Congrats on your newborn :)

Nice marine planted tank.

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

Chiller : Dalkin 1hp compressor with build-in drop coil.

Skimmer : Skimz Octa SC205i Protein Skimmer.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

CR : Skimz Monzter E Series CM122 Calcium Reactor.

BPR: Marine Source Biopellet  Reactor with Continuum Reef Biopellet Fuel. 

Main Return Pump : SICCE Syncra ADV 9.0 & Jebao ACQ-10000 Water Pump.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Water Top Up: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite.

Wow! Well done, the growth looks really good!

Would you share more parameter such as the light setup, nutrient dosage? the sediment looks interesting too.

Congrats on your newborn :)

Haha i become lazy and from weekly change water to monthly change water. Only recently I started weekly change routine and only measure salinity of 1.024-1.026 and check my fishes health regularly. No nutrient dosage, just another 3 feet tank of 2 tangs, 2 Picasso clowns, 1 wrasse, 1 damsel and 8 chromis supplying my plant tank the nitrate. I'm using the 2 feet beamworks LED with a return pump of 1200 l/m and no wave maker. I keep only 3 fishes in this tank.

The only observation is all my chaeto in sump are getting lesser and lesser as compare to before I introduce this tank. Actually is from your thread inspired me to start a marine plant tank.

Edited by Melwood1978

• SRC Member

Thanks for sharing :) How about the sediment, any motivation for the sediment choice?

I'm sure we can inspire more people and then we can have enough people to trade macro :)

Haha i become lazy and from weekly change water to monthly change water. Only recently I started weekly change routine and only measure salinity of 1.024-1.026 and check my fishes health regularly. No nutrient dosage, just another 3 feet tank of 2 tangs, 2 Picasso clowns, 1 wrasse, 1 damsel and 8 chromis supplying my plant tank the nitrate. I'm using the 2 feet beamworks LED with a return pump of 1200 l/m and no wave maker. I keep only 3 fishes in this tank.

The only observation is all my chaeto in sump are getting lesser and lesser as compare to before I introduce this tank. Actually is from your thread inspired me to start a marine plant tank.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for sharing :) How about the sediment, any motivation for the sediment choice?

I'm sure we can inspire more people and then we can have enough people to trade macro :)

No particular choice just some left over sand I bought from Madpetz to create a deep sand bed in sump. I find very few reefer in marine plants.

On 20 April 2016 at 11:40 PM, CKS said:

The greens are looking really good! If you are observing the NO3, are you able to share the reading please?

I will update the nitrate reading once I change water this Sunday. I think no3 should be low but po4 is high. Think of running ROWA but dunno whether it will impact on my marine plants??

• SRC Member

Hi Melwood, I've a bag of ROWA in the sump. Not too sure if my macro will grow better without the ROWA, I think its worth it because there're more annoyances without it such as high PO4 and cyanobacterial due to unbalanced redfield ratio (i think). You can find a post made by 'Subsea' who runs a macroalgae farm in the USA! he sent some of his macroalgae for lab analysis and discovered that the nitrate to phosphate absorption in Gracilaria Parvispora is 30:1

Hope it helps :)

Quoting his post here for easy reference.

"In general, slow growing macro algae will consume nitrogen to phosphorous in a ratio of 100:1. Fast growing Caulerpa ratio is 20:1. This information was from research papers at the University of Hawaii which I can no longer find.

I grow Gracilaria Parvispora, Red Ogo, for human consumption and its nitrogen to phosphorous ratio is 30:1. In general, macro algae is a sponge and it will absorb what is in the water. My make up water comes from the Middle Trinity Aquifer. The Edwards Plateau limestone was an ancient ocean and it is high in all minerals except iron, which I dose.

Agriculture lab results for Gracilaria Parvispora are:

Nitrogen. 2.6 %
Phosphorous 0.08%
Potassium. 13.5%
Calcium. 0.55%
Magnesium. 1.16%
Sulfur. 4.80%
Zinc. 139 ppm
Iron. 107 ppm
Manganese. 20 ppm
Cooper. 7 ppm"

13 hours ago, Melwood1978 said:

I will update the nitrate reading once I change water this Sunday. I think no3 should be low but po4 is high. Think of running ROWA but dunno whether it will impact on my marine plants??

• SRC Member

Hi CKS, what's your phosphate reading with Rowa? I feel there's has to be some phosphate available for the macros to uptake, otherwise they would stop growing. Could be wrong though, I'm new to macros too!

• SRC Member
2 hours ago, JMW said:

Hi CKS, what's your phosphate reading with Rowa? I feel there's has to be some phosphate available for the macros to uptake, otherwise they would stop growing. Could be wrong though, I'm new to macros too!

Last measured 3 months ago with Nyos PO4 test kit and gotten reading of about 0.025 - 0.050, its hard to tell the different between these 2 :lol: Also, i need 3 frozen cubes (2 x hikari brineshrimp, 1 x hikari mysis) to a 40g tank daily

• 3 weeks later...

Manage to get NO3 reading is less than 5ppm, but the high PO4 causing red slime which I rescape the tank and start running ROWA in my sump. Adding more sand and remove most if the overgrowth. Also move most of the caulerpa prolifera to my refugium.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg