Fishes don't seem to be hardy

• SRC Member

Hi, 

Is it common for fishes to die ?  I get my fishes from lfs and 50% of the time, they do not survive long.

Is it because the way the catches the fishes using cyanide ?

• SRC Member

Few thing must do for me when I buy fish back home I will copper it for 3-4days then put inside main tank breeder box for 7-9days then let the fish in . If u put new fish in they will fight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• SRC Member

1 more thing I feed all my fish with garic to increase their immune system. Lass time I never do all this thing my fish also 50% die after I do all this thing now 90% fish won't die

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, stetan said:

Hi, 

Is it common for fishes to die ?  I get my fishes from lfs and 50% of the time, they do not survive long.

Is it because the way the catches the fishes using cyanide ?

Maybe you would like to go in full detail? like how long your tank has been running? or what kind of fish that died in ur tank?

• Like 1

Reefing since 2003
 4ft x 2ft x 2ft Mixed Reef (BB):-
50 Gal Sump,

Apex Controlled System (Lab grade),
Deltec SC1455 Protein Skimmer,
Vortech MP40wQD,

Jebao RW-15

Maxspect Razor 320w
Eheim 1260 Return Pump,
Hailea HS-66A 1/4HP chiller,
TLF Reactor 150, running HydroCarbon 

• SRC Supporter

High causality rate has to do with various factors like fish diseases and fish bully which is the common things that happen when introducing new fish into tank.

What leong share is very good which the medical treatment and putting the new fish In isolation box will help slowly intro the fish to see any sign of bully and to check for any sign of diseases ,and also to train the fish to feed first before release .

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

Hi bro,

To date, my current tank which is almost 15yrs old can take any new fish; provided they r compatible. The most important thing is to get the new guy to settle down n this I do my initially leaving it in a quarantine sans medication. After it has regain its strength which can be between two weeks to a month, I then start treatment with 'stop itch' medication sans copper. When a newby is eating well, it will not be easily bullied n will soon be accepted by the residents.

Some fish are diff to keep eg moorish idol n butterfly fish , mandarin fish etc .   Some are easy such as clown fish n damsel . I keep new fish in a relatively big Perspex container and put inside the tank for some time until they r stable n able to mix around w other fish.  it could take some few weeks  .  Also if u can try to buy fish which already eating in the fish shop . 

• SRC Member

Getting a healthy and clearly free from too much stress is key to start off too. 

Hold off temptations to rush into buying a fish if its not in the best of conditions will help to save a lot of money too

• SRC Member
Hi bro,

To date, my current tank which is almost 15yrs old can take any new fish; provided they r compatible. The most important thing is to get the new guy to settle down n this I do my initially leaving it in a quarantine sans medication. After it has regain its strength which can be between two weeks to a month, I then start treatment with 'stop itch' medication sans copper. When a newby is eating well, it will not be easily bullied n will soon be accepted by the residents.

Bro your new fish u quarantine in main tank or other tank ?

Hi bro,

There's an article on this topic by Tanne Hoff at Reef Builders, yesterday. I use my sump , which has an almost similar setup to the main display. The guys can settle down till they r fat n healthy.

Well, I've done it many times but all it needs is a newby to undo the good. Mind u, ur new fishes can live for well over two months n one day,a new addition can cause an outbreak of itch n only the strongest can survive.

Good luck.

• SRC Member

A question wrt hardy fishes..Why fishes that deem to be hardy cant survive in a tank whereas fishes that deem to be "difficult to care" are ok in the same tank? All I can say its life is luck n fate.. cheers n happy reefing :)

@ 291213

Updated video: Kenyee FOWLR

http://m.youtube.com/my_videos

11 hours ago, kenyee said:

A question wrt hardy fishes..Why fishes that deem to be hardy cant survive in a tank whereas fishes that deem to be "difficult to care" are ok in the same tank? All I can say its life is luck n fate.. cheers n happy reefing :)

Lol... I like ur quote .....

|| Tank: 5x2x2.5 || Sump 3.5x1.5.1.5 || Lights: DeLighting 2x80w Aquable Special T5 ||

|| Return: 2 x ehiem 1264 || Skimmer: Skimz SM251 ||

|| CR: deltec denitrator || ATO with custom make reservior tank||

|| FR: TLF running Rowas ,UV ||

|| Wavemaker: Jebao RE20& RW15|| Chiller: Daikin 1HP Compressor ||

|| Monitor 1: American Marine Pinpoint Temperature monitor ||