My New Tank 2.5 ft x 2 ft x 2 ft

Allan

Hi Guys,

I had a tank with fish only 3 years ago. Decided to start this thread to seek for advice from fellow reefers and to get myself enough posts to buy stuffs from Pasar Malam. A lot of stuffs I kept it from my last tank. Initially I put my tank in my office but I decommissioned it when I moved office. I find it hard to keep corals unless I have a permanent place where I know I will not moved for few years. Finally got my own home so excited to start to build my own tank again.

This tank I am thinking of keeping mostly LPS and a bit of easy SPS (if I able to achieve it).

Below are some photos of my initial setup tank. Hope you guys can help me with some advice.

Thanks a lot. :)

Initial.jpg

Rocks.jpg

Hey guys my real problem comes now. 

My parameters are as follow:

NH4 - <0.25

NO2 - 0 

NO3 - 0.5

PH - around 8.0 

KH - 9.0

Cal - 400

I bought some zoas, feather duster and a torch corals. My torch coral has not opened. Are there any other parameters i need to check? 

20160606_095217.jpg

Hi Allan,

I have reason to believe your 3 weeks of cycling has not completed yet since there are traces of NH4.

NH4 and N02 should be zero and N03 has some reasonable values (N03 can be brought down by periodically water changes) - cycling completed.

No life stocks will survive long when there are traces of NH4 as it is toxin. My suggestion is to have your friend(s) to house all the life stocks for you asap.

Ps: Your torch do not look good and one head has receded and melted.

Good luck.

Hi Raynaz,

Thanks for the reply. I bought the torch yesterday. Actually my tank now is about 2 months. When i first saw it the torch is still opening a bit but not fully. Is the torch already unhealthy when i bought it?

I am using salifert tester for NH4. The lowest reading is <0.25 which is the lowest in the chart. I do not know does thisrepresent 0. I will test again later today after i come home from work. 

By the way is this bubble tip bleaching. 20160606_095230.jpg

I have only 5 fishes n a prawn like animal. I tried to put them in slowly usually about 1 week interval. All the fishes are feeding well. This is the part where I am getting confused. 

20160604_100404.jpg

Hi Allan,

Maybe you should also check the PO4 and Mg.

Your Ca should be brought up to around 450, your Kh and Ph look ok.

What filter media are you using and what's your equipment list to support this tank?

Cheers

• SRC Member
2 hours ago, Allan said:

NH4 - <0.25

NO2 - 0 

NO3 - 0.5

PH - around 8.0 

KH - 9.0

Cal - 400

I bought some zoas, feather duster and a torch corals. My torch coral has not opened. Are there any other parameters i need to check? 

20160606_095217.jpg

Your torch was already dying when u bought it. In this state its pretty much a goner. Healthy Torches that are not fully open will still have tissues covering most if not all of their skeleton. :)

2u72lqx.gif

I bought the torch from a reputable shop after some web reading i suspected that the torch is dying too as during I first saw it there is not many tentacles and it is not opening fully. Hopefully it can still survive.

Raynaz, i will buy the test kits for PO4 n Mg soon. I am trying to up my cal will dose again later today to bring it up. 

Thanks guys for the advice.

Hi Allan,

I see that you are using DD salt and hope you are using DI or RO water during salt mix.

It is worth investing in either one when mixing with salt since tap water contains many unwanted elements which may cause you issue in the long run.

Good luck and most importantly have fun in this hobby.

Cheers

Thanks leejwa.

Hey ranyz, my torch has offically died off :(. This morning i am seeing it turning brown with slimy things on its heads. 

Yeah i used RO water i bought my own 3 stages RO filter from Madpertz. 

Now probably let the tank cycle for a week to see how everything goes. Will update once I introduce more corals or fishes. 

Thanks will continue to monitor the parameters.

• SRC Supporter
Should I remove them now will it affect my other corals?

NH4 -

NO2 - 0 

NO3 - 0.5

PH - around 8.0 

KH - 9.0

Cal - 400

20160606_095217.jpg

If it doesn't get better, better remove it

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

Hey guys,

I am using Salifert to test my PO4 but the colour chart seems so hard to differenate. My colour can be 0.03 or 0.1 and I read online that if it is dangerous level at 0.1.

Anyone come across this problem before or is it better to use other tester. Anyone can recommend something?

Thanks.

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

• SRC Supporter

Specifically, folks usually get the Hanna HI736 Phosphorus Ultra Low Range checker. There is a conversion to phosphate ppm. Just google for the conversion.

If you don't want to spend so much, another option is the Nyos phosphate checker. It uses a 2 bottle comparison method & easier to read compared to Salifert.

IMG_5160.jpg

Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/mysliceofnature/

Hanna phosphorus checker is more accurate as it can detect really low level of po4 but u Hv convert it from phosphorus to phosphate urself.

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

Chiller : Dalkin 1hp compressor with build-in drop coil.

Skimmer : Skimz Octa SC205i Protein Skimmer.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

CR : Skimz Monzter E Series CM122 Calcium Reactor.

BPR: Marine Source Biopellet  Reactor with Continuum Reef Biopellet Fuel. 

Main Return Pump : SICCE Syncra ADV 9.0 & Jebao ACQ-10000 Water Pump.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Water Top Up: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite.