Aiptasia-X in action

tuajia

• SRC Member

Hi people. Have some aiptasia starting to pop out from nowhere after almost a year of setting up my nano tanks. at first i tolerated them but soon noticed more and more. did some research and decided to try aiptasia-x. Read a lot of horror stories about it not really being reef safe but also lots of good reviews, so i decided to try for myself and conduct some experiments. I'm recording the process over here and will monitor the situation and see if the aiptasias are really gone for good! Hope it helps bros here.

So far i've decided to try on my small 8g nano cube first. I targeted 2 aiptasias. Followed instructions on applying the aiptasia. Aiptasia-x is supposed to be applied directly onto the aiptasia itself and block the entire cavity. Supposedly this means a) it can't release its eggs and B) it will "choke" the aiptasia fully. After a couple of seconds, the aiptasia will suddenly just implode and shrink like a popped balloon. As you can see in this video, that seems to have happened. I also quickly siphoned out the extra goo that fell off when the aiptasia imploded, just in case it really causes harm to my livestock. Supposedly it will degrade naturally if left in your tank, but i decided not to take chances.

Funnily enough, they didn't say what to do AFTER the aiptasia is "imploded". So i left 1 alone (in the video) while the other one not in the video was scraped away and discarded after the process. So we'll see if there's any difference between leaving the "dead" aiptasia there vs. thowing away the carcass. Fingers crossed and will update again!

• SRC Member

I've used Joe's Juice and saw the "implode" jerking. But it re-appeared a week later.  Used it a second time, same reaction, but this time it reappeared just a few days later.  Plus another head grew nearby.

• SRC Member

i am currently fighting aiptasia in my tank since coming back into this hobby. My observation so far after using 2 brand fuana marine (i think) and red sea aiptasia x.

Both worked for me in killing the aiptasia but i think aiptasia x helps me a little more in preventing the spread (but give me a week more to observe since i started using it around 1-2 week back only this time round).

i like the needle provided by aiptasia x especially the curve one which i found useful in reaching certain aiptasia blocked by rocks. 

I had some small aiptasia that grew into a colony of zoas and both solutions had been used on the colony itself. No harm seems to be done to the zoas as they will just close up and open up after some time has passed.  What i had done was to off my wave maker and tilt up my return pump outlet to give as little flow to the tank as possible. After which, as per above using the syringe inject the chemical into the mouth of the aiptasia. You will see it closing up as the video but i usually dont give it time to slowly close up as i will just blast a lot of the solution to cover the surrounding areas so as to prevent any release of spores. Usually 1 aiptasia will use about slight less than a quarter of the solutions in my syringe. 1 small aiptasia will result in 1 big patch of white solution on the rock. after which, i let it "dry" up and on my wave maker 15-30 minutes later. In most cases this will cause the chemical that are not attached to the rock to be blown all around my tank (basically it is like it's snowing in my tank). So far no casualties that i have found that is directly related to the dosing of above mentioned 2 brand. 

My tank is a pretty mixed reef -  sps, clams, lobo, zoas, yuma, rics, anemones (various type - carpet/tube/bubble), hammer, acans, abalone, sea cucumber, sea hare, snails etc heck i have even seen my hungry fish nipping on the "snow flakes" that are flying around sometimes spitting it out sometimes not (or maybe i just dint see it spit out) but everything in my tank has been ok 

summary: reef safe - personally i think it is, effective -subjective.. considering getting some natural predators of aiptasia since there are bound to be areas that i cannot reach. At the moment but it does seem that aiptasia x is doing its job limiting the spread as well as killing aiptasia...gonna need a week to be sure.